Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

@Riot Please let us balance test your next champion so you dont...

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ImChallenger IRL

10-30-2011

Quote:
PhailRaptor:
Graves is not OP. Very powerful, yes, and probably needs some tweaks. But not OP.

What's the difference?

Xhieron

10-31-2011

Quote:
Acetaminophen:
We currently want PBE to be a place where we can implement new features and make sure all the bugs associated with it to be reported and fixed before we take it live. This is much more important than testing balance, as having major bugs are very toxic to a player's experience because they might not be able to play altogether. For example, the FPS issue that everyone here helped identify by sending in their logs is much more vital than any small tweaks to a champion.

Forgive me for being frank, but if that's all you want, you missed the mark, and I'm going to have to continue my obnoxious lobbying for proper testing. Yes, Spectator Mode desperately needs testing. Dominion desperately needed testing (oops). But so does Graves. Graves had a catastrophic FPS issue as well, remember? And it was just as toxic, given that everyone who's played the game since his release has had a Graves or two in the game.

Is testing balance as important as testing features? Maybe. I suppose you could make an argument that it's not. But even if it's not, that's not a legitimate excuse not to give the people in the PBE an opportunity to do both. If you feel like you don't have the resources, then for the love of God let more people into the PBE. There is no excuse not to test balance. I understand there are plans to test champions "soon," but you've got a patch deploying this week that's largely untested. That means you've spent money on this resource and used it substantially sub-optimally.

I've been anxiously awaiting a stealth rework for months. It needs to be on PBE immediately. Like, today. Shyvana needs to be on PBE immediately. There are a dozen champs that have "minor" problems that need to be addressed, and those things need to be tested before they go live. For example, the global ult changes could have used a good round of testing; if you'd done that you could have consolidated all of Pantheons' changes into one patch. Similarly with Shaco's ult fix plus the buffs you're doing this patch. They seem like a bit much to me, but I couldn't say before since they haven't been tested.

If champion bug-fixes and balanced changes are the least important thing to the company at all, still test it. Players are going to be more vocal, more hyperbolic, and more interested in those changes than they ever will in spectator mode. Players are going to either be evangelists about your game or taking up pitchforks based on "minor balance tweaks." Poll your staff and find out what most of the frustrating forum interactions revolve around. That's the stuff you test, not necessarily because you think it's important, but because we think it's important, and we're paying for it. Nothing will diffuse a rabid champ fan like, "Well we rigidly tested this change for six weeks on the PBE before rolling it out, and it went through about an iteration a week. We're sorry you're not happy with the changes, but we feel like the champ is in a much better place here." It's a hell of a lot better than having NMST chime in on a video and say, "This champ was OP and this is what we did." (Yes, I'm paraphrasing. I don't remember what he said; that's just what I heard.)

Thisdude1

10-31-2011

Quote:
Acetaminophen:
We currently want PBE to be a place where we can implement new features and make sure all the bugs associated with it to be reported and fixed before we take it live. This is much more important than testing balance, as having major bugs are very toxic to a player's experience because they might not be able to play altogether. For example, the FPS issue that everyone here helped identify by sending in their logs is much more vital than any small tweaks to a champion.

While I understand where you are coming from if I were to be getting destroyed by some new champ like when Zhao came out it make my experience far worse then a couple bug or glitches.....