Will there be a random draft?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Tornsoul

06-20-2010

For anyone that is unfamiliar with DOTA, there was a random draft option where the draft pool was a limited number of randomly chosen champions.

I would like to inquire as to whether this has been considered an option for season 1.
The primary benefit of this would be not really needing to have ban picks, because lets face it, a small pool of maybe 5 or 6 champions will be banned out of majority of games. These champions are the ones that have an exceptionally strong ability or synergy with another champion.

I can easily see Shen, Soraka, Janna, Ezreal being banned majority of the time. As such the champions may as well not exist.

But if the draft pool was a random limited selection then the chances of one of the all tryhard teams being made would be very low, this would also allow the other team to counterpick and either ruin the synergy your team is trying to build or to counter one of the picks you have already chosen. I feel that this would be a bit more strategic than simply having the same small pool of champions banned every game.

Those that played MTG when affinty was out would be familiar with skullclamp... It would be like if you could ban one thing for a tourney it would have been skullclamp every single time, hands down. Because its mere presence was just obsence. As such by comparison certain champions being banned would become a standard and there would simply be new tryhard comps based around the assumption of certain champions being banned all the time.

This really puts you back at square one, and you may as well not have banned anything in the first place. Where as if you implemented random draft it would fully nullify this, plus force players to skilled with multiple champions as they would have to be able to play just about anything that could randomly come up and also be coming up on their turn in the pick order.

TLDR - Forums are for reading, if you dont want to read watch TV.

Bad News Bear

06-20-2010

Aw, I got tired of reading and read your TL;DR and it didn't inform me. You got me, gg sir.

colloquial

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Emissary of the League

06-20-2010

Maybe at some point, but not with the launch of season one. Riot has said they want to implement a lot of different game modes, but that the only one that was a really high priority was Draft Mode. Hopefully now that they've got that one figured out the others will come more quickly. I know Tryndamere has talked about how he really wants an all random mode.

Bhargo

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-20-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornsoul View Post
TLDR - Forums are for reading, if you dont want to read watch TV.
There is nothing good on, and Adult Swim is only showing lamesauce animu