Garen v. Olaf

Garen 20 38.46%
Olaf 22 42.31%
Other 10 19.23%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Olaf v. Garen

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Quantumprophecy

06-19-2010

I mainly play support champs or caster champs, but I wanna start working on a ruin page for a melee champ but I don't know which I wanna play.

I have narrowed it down to either Garen or Olaf. Never played either, so I have no judgment at the moment. I just like the sound and feel that each seems to have.

I am not at some high ELO, so keep that in mind. I just wanna be able to play melee thats not a tank, and rack up some kills.

So please, let me know, and if you voted other, please let me know who you would suggest instead.

Thanks

Purutzil

06-19-2010

Olaf would work out better then Garen probably. If your looking for some CC garen does have a silence though while Olaf has a nice slow effect. Olaf is just more viable given he has an ult that lets him ignore CC and take damage which gives him a bit more of an edge compared to garen in not being able to be kited or made worthless.

Baishuu

06-19-2010

Jax is the epitome of Melee God-Mode (not saying he's OP, just top of the line). Also obligatory DPS Mundo bump as a DPS Mundo player (Nope, he is not a tank). Never really played Olaf, but Garen was bland as hell to me. Played him once in a practice game and never looked at him again.

Bad News Bear

06-19-2010

Those two champions play way differently.

Personally, I am an Olaf fanatic right now.

Olaf plays similar to Warwick, so if you like WW, I would recommend Olaf over Garen.

simmsinns

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-19-2010

I own both, and I love to play both. I also use the same rune page for both. (Armor pen, dodge, cooldowns)

I'd honestly suggest that you get both of them, they play very different but both are fun, and not having to change rune pages is nice.

But, if you're forced to choose between the two, and want to mostly rack up kills, I'd go with Olaf. He can 1v1 nearly anyone at the moment, and can jump into fights and kill squishies in 3 hits (reckless strike) or less. Both can really hold their own, but I think Olaf is usually better at champion kills.

Arcades79

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-19-2010

Disclaimer: I have 75+ wins on Garen and only a few games played on Olaf, but here are my thoughts:

It's interesting that you think Olaf has the advantage in not being controlled. Garen has a movement speed buff (Decisive Strike) and cannot be slowed when using Judgment (which can be used for movement as well as damage). Sure, Olaf's ultimate is better, but it's not always up. Honestly, I think its easier to CC/control Olaf other than when he burns Ragnarok.

Garen has a stronger early game than Olaf, Judgment far exceeds anything Olaf can do until he has several points into Reckless Swings/Vicious Strikes. If Garen gets fed early, look out, he's a monster until the very-end game (if it even gets that far). Olaf will be more consistent throughout the mid-late game, though Garen is no slouch.

If your team lacks a true tank, Garen can slap on a Frozen Mallet, and other survivability items and Courage gives him the edge for the damage absorption role. I don't recommend purposely playing Garen to fill the tank role, but Frozen Mallet will keep your targets slowed and off the carries and he can take a lot of punishment while still contributing decent damage with Judgment/Demacian Justice. "Tank" Olaf dies faster and doesn't have the finishers that "Tank" Garen does. Olaf will have some damage with scaling Vicious Strikes (hp --> dmg) and the true damage of Reckless Swings, but his lack of any defensive skills (life steal won't be that impressive in "Tank" mode) limits his playstyle to primarily DPS.

TL;DR: Edge to Garen for early game and damage absorption, Edge to Olaf for mid to late game.

Pwnacus Maximus

06-19-2010

+1 to mundo

that being said, olaf by far.

Quantumprophecy

06-19-2010

Thanks for all the fast responses guyz.

This looks pretty close overall, maybe some more garen supports will come out soon.