Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS


AP katarina or AD katarina??

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

xDiamantx

Senior Member

07-02-2010

Quote:
AzNisPolly:
I laugh at all the AP Katarina's that fall before me at Mid. Bouncing Blade damage sucks? Kay, that's why I just hit you for 300 damage while still being out of range of YOUR blades and shunpo :3 Rinse and repeat.

You think all AP Katarina's build Shunpo?

I play both AD and AP and how I build depends on how long it takes before I get forced to go back to base and buy my items.

Even as AP Katarina I still go bouncing blades first because her AP damage doesn't come in until later on in the game so if I get pushed really late in the game I will buy a Giant's Belt and Boots first and then build AP later because it takes a lot of AP before it becomes effective.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Contagious Cure

Recruiter

07-06-2010

Quote:
iHARDkore:
AP is easy to build but cost more
most people ignore magic resistance and focus on phyiscal defense
AP is definitaly stronger because it boosts your spell damages by far but at the cost of constant farming
you can go 5 guisnsoo rageblade? :P

AP builds are significantly cheaper. And guinsoos is a teribad item on Kat. Have you ever even played Kat?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Contagious Cure

Recruiter

07-06-2010

Quote:
xDiamantx:
You think all AP Katarina's build Shunpo?

I play both AD and AP and how I build depends on how long it takes before I get forced to go back to base and buy my items.

Even as AP Katarina I still go bouncing blades first because her AP damage doesn't come in until later on in the game so if I get pushed really late in the game I will buy a Giant's Belt and Boots first and then build AP later because it takes a lot of AP before it becomes effective.

Really? A Lich Bane and Zhonya's (even just one of the Zhonya's ingrediants) is enough to make shunpo reasonably effective. And that's without Mejai stacks, which Kat should be getting with kills or assists to make use of her passive anyway.

I do however agree with getting at least some points in BB for AP Kat simply because it's such a good harrass/last hitter. Not to mention it's healing reduction is priceless for when your opponent pops a health pot.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Falanx

Junior Member

07-06-2010

Quote:
Contagious Cure:
Really? A Lich Bane and Zhonya's (even just one of the Zhonya's ingrediants) is enough to make shunpo reasonably effective. And that's without Mejai stacks, which Kat should be getting with kills or assists to make use of her passive anyway.

I do however agree with getting at least some points in BB for AP Kat simply because it's such a good harrass/last hitter. Not to mention it's healing reduction is priceless for when your opponent pops a health pot.


That and Mundo's Ult, are my favorite targets for KI+BB. It's so satisfying


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Nowiser

Member

07-06-2010

Don't let anyone fool you. Both AD and AP work very well with Kat. Play what you enjoy, I have played both and done very well with both. My best 2 games have still been with AP. As for people saying that you can do more damage with AD away from your ult I agree with to an extent. This is where Lichbane comes in, I usually go with Mejais, Sorc Shoes, Rylais, Lichbane, at this point if you have stacks you can shunpo in for 5-600 and then your next hit hits for damage plus your AP, which can be anywhre from 300-600. Shunpo isnt the stand alone damage, you get that extra hit and it hurts, BB is nice for farming, but using KI for Shunpo gives you the ability to jump in and take some damage. Either way Katarina can dominate but it all comes down to playing her right, which does not include whether you are AP or AD. Play them both and enjoy, you will learn quickly that the key is not dying. Bottom line


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

FABIOForever

Senior Member

07-11-2010

THE MATH!

Going off of BF sword and Large Rod costs:

1 AP = 20 gold
1 AD = 37 gold


For 1000 gold you get:

AP build- 37.5 shunpo damage, 16.5 death lotus damage
AD build- 27 bouncing blade damage + 27 auto attack damage + damage from multiple blade bounces, 13.5 death lotus damage


AD wins hands down in damage from non-ult abilities, with the difference in ult damage being only 20%. Factoring in how much faster you're going to make money with bouncing blades/turret kills, AD skyrockets ahead. This isn't even considering that the opportunities to harass with bouncing blade are much greater than the times it's safe to shunpo in.

The only other things to consider would be lich bane and zhonya's, which gets tricky to calculate. At what point would the wasted mana gold on a lich bane make it worth it? At what point will it surpass the equivalent gold in auto attack damage, if ever (remember you're only getting that proc hit every 3 seconds)? At what point will zhonya's percentage bonus make an AP build surpass the bonuses of AD?

You can safely say that both bane/zhonya bonuses won't build up to anything significant until later in the game, but then you're also not factoring in that an AD build will have made much, much more money than you by that point.

I really don't see how an AD build isn't flat out better in almost every possible way. An AP build doesn't even offer any more survivability (nothing is stopping an AD from also picking up a giant belt).

EDIT: my math was off, 1000 gold would get you 14.9 death lotus damage with AD and 15 with AP. So the ultimate is exactly even. AD wins by even more.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

tC Paulie

Senior Member

07-12-2010

Quote:
FABIOForever:
THE MATH!

Going off of BF sword and Large Rod costs:

1 AP = 20 gold
1 AD = 37 gold


For 1000 gold you get:

AP build- 37.5 shunpo damage, 16.5 death lotus damage
AD build- 27 bouncing blade damage + 27 auto attack damage + damage from multiple blade bounces, 13.5 death lotus damage


AD wins hands down in damage from non-ult abilities, with the difference in ult damage being only 20%. Factoring in how much faster you're going to make money with bouncing blades/turret kills, AD skyrockets ahead. This isn't even considering that the opportunities to harass with bouncing blade are much greater than the times it's safe to shunpo in.

The only other things to consider would be lich bane and zhonya's, which gets tricky to calculate. At what point would the wasted mana gold on a lich bane make it worth it? At what point will it surpass the equivalent gold in auto attack damage, if ever (remember you're only getting that proc hit every 3 seconds)? At what point will zhonya's percentage bonus make an AP build surpass the bonuses of AD?

You can safely say that both bane/zhonya bonuses won't build up to anything significant until later in the game, but then you're also not factoring in that an AD build will have made much, much more money than you by that point.

I really don't see how an AD build isn't flat out better in almost every possible way. An AP build doesn't even offer any more survivability (nothing is stopping an AD from also picking up a giant belt).

EDIT: my math was off, 1000 gold would get you 14.9 death lotus damage with AD and 15 with AP. So the ultimate is exactly even. AD wins by even more.


Agreed.

The farming capabilities with BB and an AD build are just sick for more gold.

I've clocked in multiple games with 20+ kills with a full AD build. Just awesome.

Sorc Boots, Bloodthirster, Bloodthirster, Frozen Mallet, Haunting Guise and anything else I can get my hands on if the game goes that long.

Great damage. Great survvivability, great mpen (50+ with runes). I use Shunpo as a travel method only. Train it as little as I can.

The key is getting Killer Instincts up as high as you can. The full BB damage for 6 bounces and the 30% less damage after a shunpo is just sick.

Hit KI before your BB to soften up your targets. Great way to help DL get the kills.