AP katarina or AD katarina??

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Corinarh

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-25-2010

only ad katarina end of discussion

P4Powned

06-25-2010

One more thing I would like to add in favor of AD above AP. When your ulti gets silenced or w/e (wich will happen alot in higher elo's) you will still be able to do decent dmg with AD, while with AP all you can do is scratch their backs.

Kamirga

06-25-2010

I personally just posted a thread like this and just picked kat up. I played AP and I played AD and I honestly prefer AD. AP has a lot of nice things like rylais and void staff but honestly I prefer harassing with BB over shunpo and I found that AP was lacking the oomf I got with my first BF sword as AD, even when I was buying rylais in 2 pieces. Also when my ult is interrupted, which sadly happens, I found AD to actually be worthwhile for the BB dmg and auto attack, AP didn't really give me anything

rximmortal

06-25-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by peyo View Post
I wonder how ^^ as an AP you have to be inside the battle to do anything, while AD can harrass from outside. Also, you can get the same HP items with AD as you take with AP, so...
Actually you don't need any HP items .
If i correctly understand you , You tell that you will harass with BB from outside , GL in killing than ( Who cares that you inflict 300 damage in 10 seconds )

Grand Treason

06-25-2010

Depends on your preference, I personally go with AP, because of the Shunpo mini nuke and that Mejai gives 15% cooldown. Also the slows on every skill other than KI (Watch the downvotes coming because people simple doesn't like others who don't agree with the consensus).

But of course, AD is the way to go, as my hero Furor is the best Katarina player who will return when season 1 gets rolling.

How I wish to have learned of this game sooner to converse with him

RagnarokChu

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-25-2010

It depends on the game, You get AP or AD if you need more more penetration (AP for if they start stacking MR) or more damage (AD if they don't because of your other team members).

Both builds are viable, just do the one that you need.

peyo

06-25-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by rximmortal View Post
Actually you don't need any HP items .
If i correctly understand you , You tell that you will harass with BB from outside , GL in killing than ( Who cares that you inflict 300 damage in 10 seconds )
the problem is that its cooldown is 8s (without any CDR) and you deal 6x400ish damage from outside. While with AP you have to go inside (and probably die) to deal 1x600.
You're right, who cares if I deal my damage, if they can kill you.

I wonder how is your survivability better if you're getting no HP items o_O

rximmortal

06-26-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by peyo View Post

I wonder how is your survivability better if you're getting no HP items o_O
I have my ways . But i am bored of posting them here.

peyo

06-26-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by rximmortal View Post
I have my ways . But i am bored of posting them here.
really? You have never said that, so how can you be bored?

Noctaem

06-26-2010

Kat is my main and I always play her AP.

I build as follows :

Dorans, sorc boots, mejai, guise, abyssal, zonya's, warmogs

If the game lasts longer than that I convert some items into higher tier ones, such as guise for lich bane.

I build by maxing out shunpo first getting one level of BB and instincts and of course the ult at 6. I run exhaust and flash ( so many times I have gotten kills from low hp opponents thinking I was out of range when suddenly I would flash / shunpo / BB to get the kill. I find it amusing how people never see it coming. )

The trick is to get mejai's and get stacks on it even from assists as fast as possible. I run 21 offense / 9 defense masteries. magic pen, magic resist and dodge for runes. By level 14 or so with a decent team I can easily have around 14 stacks on mejai. Probably around 7 + kills as well. Soloing mid is also an extremely useful strat since by getting your ult quickly and just being at a higher level in general is good. This is all from my experience, I have over 150 games played with AP kat, so even though I might not be the most experienced player, I can safely say I know how to play her quite well. I currently have 1300 ~ kills and 400 ~ deaths with around 1000 ~ assists. Feel free to look me up if you wish.

I have played against other kats 1v1 mid many times, I will say this : AD kat is better for farming early game. However. AP kat is better for farming hero kills early game. The low shunpo cd and high damage ensures chasing is possible and getting kills almost always ensured on an appropriate target.

I will also say this, I have lost games where I had 25 kills or so and low deaths simply because my team was incapable of pulling weight late game. Because kat's ult is relatively easy to stop, if your team cannot carry weight towards the win, you will lose, no matter how fed you are. Being an AD or AP kat won't matter if you are focus killed every team fight. This is where knowing the heroes you are up against and timing yourself to avoid abilities that stun or silence comes in. But that's about experience and knowing heroes.

Last thing I'll say is that preference is always a factor. No one will convince you to favor a different way of playing other than the one you like most.