Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Which change would you like to see?

Increase stack duration and decrease maximum stacks. Reduce maximum stack power to compensate. 12 16.67%
Allow to stack on ability cast. Reduce maximum stack power to compensate. 14 19.44%
Increase stack duration by 1 second. Make new item for AD casters.. 19 26.39%
No change, fine as is. 27 37.5%
Voters 72 .

Should Sanguine Blade be changed?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Phourc

10-24-2011

Alright, let me say first off that sanguine blade's base stats definitely aren't bad. It's an unstacked Bloodthirster, after all.

*HOWEVER* I honestly do not believe that it's stacking mechanic is particularly beneficial, even with the 100 gold discount, it still doesn't feel 'worth it'.

The main problems I see with it are:

- The stacking itself is weak. Let's compare it to other stacking items, shall we?

Sanguine Blade: 4 second buff duration, 7 max stacks.
Wit's End: 5 second buff duration, 4 max stats.
Black Cleaver: 5 second debuff duration, 3 max stats.
Malady: 8 second debuff duration, 4 max stats.
Rageblade: 5 second buff duration, 8 max stats. (Also stacks on spellcast, so not really a good comparison xP)

What does this mean in practice?

With it's ridiculously high max stacks, it's not something you'll have at max power very often. Is this intentional? Probably, as getting a maximum charge bloodthirster is also pretty rare on the Rift.

Still, it stacks almost as much as the rageblade, which 1) increases your attackspeed as you attack, allowing you to accrue stacks faster, and 2) stacks on abilities, giving you extra opportunities to increase stacks and allowing you to pop a self cast ability to keep your stacks up.

Speaking of attackspeed, with such high maximum stacks it practically requires attackspeed to feel useful, another limitation the original bloodthirster didn't have.

Also, with such a short buff duration, it is very difficult to 'pre-charge' the buff by attacking some creep before engaging the enemy (Not only that, creep is much harder to find in dom xP) and it's very easy to lose it to a bit of CC, juking or straight up running away.

All these factors combine to make the stacking buff seem very, very weak.

- Does not stack on Abilities.

One of the big classes that loves an early Bloodthirster is the AD caster, who only autoattacks *after* abilities are all fired off, and immediately stop once their abilities come back up. On those characters you'll be lucky to end a fight with more than two stacks.

This hurts them doubly because they also lost the OTHER life steal/AD item on dominion (Wriggles Lantern).

Possible solutions I see:

- Decrease the maximum stacks and increase the stack duration, lowering the maximum AD bonus to compensate for more uptime.

- Allow to stack on abilities, so that it may be beneficial to AD casters. Would probably also have to lower the maximum AD bonus as it would allow much more uptime as well.

- Increase the stack duration by 1 second to be in line with other autoattack stacking items, then give AD casters their own item.

TL;DR: Sanguine Blade stacks higher and falls off faster than any comparable item, it's stacking mechanic makes it a poor replacement for Bloodthirster or Wriggles on many champions.

DisposableGod

10-24-2011

Demaci-bump

Ehrix

10-24-2011

Yeah I'm not sure why sanguine is a suggested item for Riven when she is a pure AD caster... once you have your CDR you are almost always spamming an ability and almost never auto attacking..

Blackfire447

10-24-2011

Its desgined for right-clickers on dom, AD Casters have entropy now for dom to replace bloodthirster, since pantheon doesnt need lifesteal anyways =D

Prometheius

10-24-2011

Where's the BCleaver option?

Less stacks, stronger stacks, longer stacks.

3 to max, 12 AD and 3 life steal per stack. Lasts 8s.

Phourc

10-24-2011

Quote:
Ehrix:
Yeah I'm not sure why sanguine is a suggested item for Riven when she is a pure AD caster... once you have your CDR you are almost always spamming an ability and almost never auto attacking..

True, entropy is 10 more AD, but the active is probably as worthless as the stacking damage boost on Sanguine. At least one autoattack applies the full true damage DoT I suppose.

And, honestly, I've always liked the life steal to help keep me up (Every bit helps, when you're swinging 300s, 30% life steal is a good hundred health per swing), but you maybe right.

Quote:
Prometheius:
Where's the BCleaver option?

Less stacks, stronger stacks, longer stacks.

3 to max, 12 AD and 3 life steal per stack. Lasts 8s.

That would be amazing, but probably a little too strong to get it actually implemented xP

Hugs From Momma

10-24-2011

They need to be careful with these items, as AD casters are already really strong. I'm not sure it's in the interest of balance to give them even better tools.

I'm scared if they let that new AD item Morello's talking about into Dominion, it could really push champs like Talon, Panth, Riven, etc, over the edge.

Phourc

10-24-2011

Quote:
Hugs From Momma:
I'm scared if they let that new AD item Morello's talking about into Dominion, it could really push champs like Talon, Panth, Riven, etc, over the edge.

It's true, however I don't think the main cap on AD casters should be "Has to waste gold on stats they can't use."

If they are honestly that powerful, they can get some tweaks to put em in a better place.

And no worries on the BFF Sword, that's been 'Soon (tm)' for at least 6 months, I have no expectation of it ever coming out xP

thenightangel05

10-24-2011

Entropy is a personal favorite of mine. AD Casters are my favorites and with a ghostblade and entropy clicked, i destroy everyone who ever comes across me. Ever.

Phourc

10-24-2011

That's not really AD casting then ):