Build critique requested: support tristana

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Gimpb

06-19-2010

This is something I've been playing around with in my head and trying a few games with pretty decent success so I wanted to throw it out there for opinions and input so I can refine the style.

First let me clarify what I mean before anyone goes off thinking I'm talking about a low-dps trist:
As I see it, Tristana's big strength is she's very good at consistently attacking targets while staying in safe positions due to her range, jump, and nockback. To me, that makes her ideal for applying debuff effects so that's what this build specializes in. This will work best in games where your team has several heroes that do considerable physical/auto attack damage.

So here's the plan:
Get high attack speed and provide these attack-based debuffs for the team:
1. Mallady (yes, I said it, and it's our first major item too) - We need the life steal so we can farm the jungle so we can get the lizzard buff which greatly amplifies the frequency/effect of the debuffs this build specializes in. We need the attack speed for the same reason, to land more debuffs. And the debuff... well, that's the point of the build. Typically the argument against mallady is based on starks seeming to be better, but Trist's range means the stark's auras often won't reach where they're needed and anyone can use stark's effectively but few can use mallady well. The mallady also builds nicely making it a nice first item.
2. Phage - Normally this is not very reliable but with trist's high attack speed, long range, and the ability to control range, it actually becomes fairly reliable which makes it a great slow at a bargain price. (the other stats are great too)
3. Black cleaver - This gives the entire team a heavy armor reduction allowing your team to efficiently bring down any target of opportunity, even tanks.
4. Suppliment with items that improve our damage, survivability, and ability to apply debuffs.

The main build order is to get your mallady fast since the other items aren't nearly as good without the attack speed and it considerably increases your farm power. Second you go black cleaver or phage depending on what your team needs; take the other afterward.

Next I recommend zeal because the attack speed and move speed both contribute considerably to your debuff applications. It also starts to build your crit chance which will be needed if the game goes very long. Furthermore, move speed is survivability.

After that you have an important choice: do you go frozen mallet or trinity force? I first thought frozen mallet but have come to think it's not worth it because it slows your damage down so much, you're already fairly survivable, and you're already fairly good at applying the slow. On the other hand, the sheen part of the trinity force isn't very good this late in the game but her AP ratios are pretty good so it's not completely wasted. I think the best solution might be to postpone that decision, sell the doran's whatever to make room if you have one, and go for infinity edge right then.

The game is probably over or nearly over by now but if not, scale up your crit chance and crit damage.

Any thoughts on how to improve this?

BobiusMaximus

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

06-19-2010

Starks > Malady by so much.

Ebonclaw

06-19-2010

Honestly, while I agree that there are a few specific applications where Malady might be useful (mostly in conjunction with knowing someone else is rushing Stark's), if you are going for a 'support' role, carrying an aura is the best way to go about that.

But really, if you want to be a 'ranged support', you probably should pick Sivir. There are reasons that Tristana gets generally 'pigeon holed' into being a mobile artillery piece. You can still get Stark's though, for the team aura. Then if your team loses, and anyone tries to blame you, say "HEY, I am playing a SUPPORT champ!".

:P

Leirkov

06-19-2010

This is not going to work.

First you call it support, so if it's going to be a support build, Starks > Malady. The cute little 6 damage/sec from Malady or whatever is junk.

Phage is nice for survivability.

.. But just overall, it's a really low-AD build with little benefit to anyone around you.

Gimpb

06-19-2010

Ah yeah, I thought this would stir up the "mallady sucks because of starks" thing. Stark's and mallady are two completely different and non-exclusive items. Here are the reasons mallady is chosen in this case:
1. Trist is easily able to apply the stack of debuffs
2. Proximity is much less of an issue for mallady
3. Mallady is better for farming
4. Mallady is generally more damage in the mid game (this is debatable)
5. Mallady is cheaper
6. We're going to have heavy armor reduction in black cleaver which means we'd probably have wasted armor reduction when attacking squishies.

By "support" I don't mean I'm trying to turn trist into sivir and provide auras for the team, her range is too long for her to be an effective aura bot because the auras won't reach as many heroes as if they were on another hero so this build is not built around auras. The idea is to create a team-oriented damage build with the items best suited to Trist.

Call it "team-oriented" Trist or "debuff" Trist if you like. :P

PosPosPos

06-19-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimpb View Post

By "support" I don't mean I'm trying to turn trist into sivir and provide auras for the team, her range is too long for her to be an effective aura bot because the auras won't reach as many heroes as if they were on another hero so this build is not built around auras. The idea is to create a team-oriented damage build with the items best suited to Trist.
I'm sorry? Can someone give this gentleman/lady here a reality check?

xDiamantx

06-19-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by PosPosPos View Post
I'm sorry? Can someone give this gentleman/lady here a reality check?
None of Tristana's skills help a teammate out, all her skills are useful for killing someone. The idea of a support Tristana is the sam idea as a DPS Soraka.

xbombr

06-19-2010

Play Sivir, Soraka, Janna, Taric, ect. if you want to be a supporter. Trist is a ranged dps character with no skills that help her fit that role. Auras, healing, shields, and cc make for good support. Not high attack speed.

YesIKnow

06-20-2010

Stark's still beats malady(though i've never gotten it for trist) and well trist doesnt have any support skills except maybe for her ult in certain situations but thats meh. She thrives on DPS+some attack speed+A.pen..Just a thought