Hero decisions

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Revilgaz

06-18-2010

Hey im new to the game and am enjoying it a lot. There are a few heroes I like the look and move list of and I was wondering peoples opinion. I dont want to know about which is op or anything but just what the bring other then what the game says. I was looking at Garen, Ezreal, Pantheon, and Gangplank. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks

Rahlekk

06-18-2010

Honestly, all champions work well... I'd just pick the coolest one first and go with him/her, and switch if you don't like that champion.

Also, pick one that fits your play style. Defensive, aggressive, etc.

Revilgaz

06-18-2010

Thanks, I was just wondering cause well i play a more aggressive play stile but just wanted to know where each really shines. Thanks though

Revilgaz

06-18-2010

Thats the issue too is im not sure which one fits my play style cause I do not know how each one plays

Visch

06-18-2010

I recommend looking at youtube videos then, pick which ever champion looks more fun to you.

Alot of people on these forums just tell you to pick a certain champion because it's popular or very good.

Kymera3

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-19-2010

Wow I have to agree it has to be hard to choose since they are all really fun too play.
I'd say check out youtube vids, check out champ spotlight from Phreak and try them when they are free.
I would love to help you more but they are all fun champ and all different play styles.

cwatz

Adjudicator

06-19-2010

Heres something I wrote in a another thread about Garen and Pantheon.

Quote:
Nowadays Garen is usually built as a tank. In terms of champion strength I really wouldnt pay attention to those things, the most important thing is how you as a player control them. That being said hes pretty middle of the pack so its not like you would be playing someone really weak.

As for him as a character you want to be a frustrating guy in teamfights. Spinning into squishy enemies, silencing their important casters and making them try to get away from you is his main role. This takes some of their big damage dealers out of a fight and lets the rest of your team beat up on the remainder of theirs. That is tank Garens general playstyle.

As far as not having stuns/slows, he does have his silenc, and with his spin he cannot be stunned or slowed. That in itself is a good quaility. As I said hes not the best champion of all time, but hes very effective at causing chaos in the other team and staying very durable himself.
Quote:
Pantheon excels in small enounters and relies heavily on the large single target and aoe damage from heartseeker strike as a burst on people. Due to being melee he is far more vulnerable in 5v5 encounters and generally doesn't scale well into endgame.
Ezreal is an excellent champion, and a very popular one. All of his abilities need to be aimed (though they are all extremely fast for a skillshots so they are easy to hit). He can be played several different ways as either a caster/physical dps or hybrid. Though he is squishy, he is extremely difficult to kill because of his blink ability on a pretty short cooldown. As a summary Ezreal is a fantastic pick for anyone that doesn't mind having to aim their abilities. A high damage, high survivability ranged dps is a very popular choice. As a note, he is too strong at the moment and riot has mentioned that they will be nerfing him a little bit next patch.

Gangplank can be built two ways, as "critplank" or "tankplank". As you can imagine, tankplank can be pretty durable, hard to kill and annoying. Critplank on the other hand has one of the hardest nukes in the game. If it gets to lategame you can be critting people for 1000 damage with one of his parrrleys. That being said , he is very very squishy and is a melee champion. He simply cannot go toe to toe with other melee dps champions and is almost more like a ranged dps. This makes him struggle in 5v5 encounters because almost all of his usefulness is fights comes from his one ability. While that one ability is very good, his overall package can be a little limiting. However while Ezreal is getting nerfed next patch, gangplank will be getting buffed.

Lastly, remember not to pay attention to who people say the strongest champions are, and simply play something with a playstyle that you might enjoy. I only mention the buffs and nerfs because it would be worth knowing before you purchase a champion that changes may infact be coming.