need some suggestions

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

grant83

06-18-2010

Greetings and Happy Fathers Day

First off, I would like to give kudos to both the community and developers/support team of LoL. I am very impressed and encouraged by the vibrancy and commitment surrounding this game.

A little background: I am currently at level ten and have only played a handful of characters. The closest experiene I have with this type of game would be Demigod, which if I am not mistaken, was created in the mold of Dota (which I have not played). I have read most of the new player guides, and believe I have a fair understanding of the mechanics of the game. Anyhow, I have a couple of questions that I hope can be answered.

1. It seems I am best with casters, (I guess I would say Annie is my best char), but would really like to be able to diversify the type of char I choose based on team makeup. What champions would you recommend in each role that would best introduce me to the fundamentals behind each role, and at the same time would be able to hold their own if played proficiently?

2. I have a problem going outside my comfort zone in selecting champions. When it gets to the select screen, part of me wants to try out someone different, but I inevitably pick the champion that I know I can do the best with. My rationale is that the further I level, the more I should be expected to carry my weight, and trying out new characters for the first time seems to be unfair to my teammates. Am I worrying too much? Will I eventually become good enough that I will be able to pick up a new char and just run with it?

3. Should Annie always take mid in Summoners? What characters should go mid before annie? How viable is Annie in 3v3 on twisted?

Thank you in advance for any and all advice that the community can give me. I look forward to becoming more familiar with the game in general as well as learning more in depth ways to attack this game.

SomniumProxy

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-18-2010

Hey, welcome to LoL! Glad you like it =)

1. Well, you can try Alistar for a tank, Ashe for a ranged DPS, Jax for melee DPS, Kayle for support, Shaco for assassin.

2. You're not the only one noticing this =) TBH, on level 10 you can forget about it and just play whatever you want, most people don't know their champs well anyways, so it won't make that much of a difference. Or, you can try to play a practice game, there's always one around specififcally for trying new champions. I do that myself. Play 1-2 practice games and I have a good idea of the champ. And yes, when you become more experienced, you'll be able to adjust directly to a champion which is close to the ones you know, or you'll need just 1 practice game for a champ that is completely different from the ones you know.

3. Annie is good mid, but she doesn't have to take it. She can do fine in a lane too. Champions that can take mid (and are better mid than annie: Katarina, Cho'Gath, Mordekaiser, Ashe). Annie is extremely valuable in 3v3. In truth, whereas she's considered to be one of the good champions in 5v5, in 3v3 she's top 5. Really powerful.

Hakairyu

06-18-2010

1. Ranged physical DPS: Ashe/Tristana
Melee DPS: Mundo/Garen
Tank: Shen

All of these are pretty easy to play, and they should introduce you to the idea of each character. Although, to be fair, the melee DPS listed are both tanky DPS - unlike Yi.

2. I know what you mean. Try practice games before using a champion for the first time in a normal game. That way, it's not your first time using the champion so you're technically not a handicap for the team. You might not play as well as a veteran with that champion, but that's okay. Your general skills (risk assessment, etc) will carry over.

3. If possible, take mid. But Annie isn't bad in a 1v2 or a 2v2 lane either. She's pretty strong in that sense. There are champions like Karthus that I would usually give mid above anybody else. I can't really give you a comprehensive list, so you'll have to defer to your own judgment.

I don't play TT, so I can't give you a solid response there. However, in general, casters aren't very good there. Annie is one of the casters who might do a little better - but not as well as Heimer.

cwatz

Adjudicator

06-18-2010

Quote:
1. It seems I am best with casters, (I guess I would say Annie is my best char), but would really like to be able to diversify the type of char I choose based on team makeup. What champions would you recommend in each role that would best introduce me to the fundamentals behind each role, and at the same time would be able to hold their own if played proficiently?
Janna is a good choice for support. She is excellent at disabling enemies offensively, but most importantly peeling enemy champions off of her allies and keeping them safe. Peeling and protecting allies is common for many champions and Janna is a good intro to that. That said she might take a little more time to master, but shes still a good introduction to the role.

For ranged physical dps id personally recommend Tristana. Most people say ashe because of how simple it is to play her, however she has no real escape option and is very vulnerable if she gets attacked. This means you at least need to have good positional awareness as a general skill or you could run into problems as her. Tristana can be similar in a sense because she primarily only auto attacks, especially late game, however with rocket jump she can jump over walls, or back into safety of other allies/towers which can leave a little more room for error as a player than you have with ashe.

For melee dps id probably say Jax. He could be a but harder because he is pretty bad at laning in SR and you could have trouble keeping up with levels or farming, however he is pretty simply to play and can get you used to jumping at squishy people in teamfights and trying to take them down.

As for tanks you could try Alistar. He is the worst farmer in the game which can be uncomfortable, but he also doesn't have as large of item dependence due to his ultimate. He is used to both cause pressure to the ohter teams squishies with his stun/knockback into his team combo, and to use those spells to protect his own allies. Another easy one would be Garen. He can farm a bit better, is quite durable as a tank, and is a lot more simple because you primarily just pressure squishies with him. This makes his role less complicated and thus easier to perform.

Quote:
2. I have a problem going outside my comfort zone in selecting champions. When it gets to the select screen, part of me wants to try out someone different, but I inevitably pick the champion that I know I can do the best with. My rationale is that the further I level, the more I should be expected to carry my weight, and trying out new characters for the first time seems to be unfair to my teammates. Am I worrying too much? Will I eventually become good enough that I will be able to pick up a new char and just run with it?
Dont let the "levels" confuse you. There are plenty of people who could be slow learners, relatively inexperienced or poor players at level 30. There are also players at lower levels that could be much stronger players. Dont feel you have some obligation to do one thing or another due to your summoner level. Thats merely to give you some satisfaction as you play the game and slowly level up getting a bit stronger.

As you get more experienced and you understand what roles people have and how certainly champions play after seeing other people in game with them, it makes it very easy to pick up a character and be used to it in a couple games. It takes longer when you are starting out.

Also if you are playing a champ for the first time, it can help to use them in a practice game to get a feel for their abilities/items and how they play. It can go a very long way for how you perform in an actual game.
Quote:
3. Should Annie always take mid in Summoners? What characters should go mid before annie? How viable is Annie in 3v3 on twisted?
Dont know much about TT. Any is a solid middle choice. There isnt always a priority list of who should go mid. There are a bunch of well known mid characters and any of them can suffice. A lot of that can also depend on team strategy for stronger side lines or just if someone runs middle before anyone else.