Sion questions

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Pancakezlol

06-18-2010

Hey there, I'm got Sion and I was wondering for AP Sion for marks, does magic pen marks go very good with Sion for the lifesteal, or would crit marks still be good with AP?

I'm trying out some builds and practice games so was wondering if anyone that has played Sion has advice?

Drachis

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Associate Technical Artist

06-18-2010

I enjoy playing sion as a pure AP tank, from what I've experienced magic pen does not help with the life steal since that is based on the damage delt you will either want to go with armor pen or crit chance.

Uually if I hit late game to make best use of his ult I go with attack speed / crit items.

Pancakezlol

06-18-2010

So would getting items with Magic pen be useless, or how would an AP Sion be built?

SomniumProxy

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-18-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancakezlol View Post
So would getting items with Magic pen be useless, or how would an AP Sion be built?
Magic pen is good if you're going AP. It won't boost your lifesteal tho.

A build for AP sion:

start with saphire and 2x health pot, get boots and upgrade to sheen.
Get a revolver, upgrade to sorc boots, get haunting guise. Upgrade sheen to lich bane. Get items on choice - zhonya, rylai, will of the ancients, void staff... depends on the game.

iLethys

06-18-2010

Here's a decent looking guide for AP Sion:
http://leaguecraft.com/strategies/gu...pion+-+AP+Sion

Really great site for lots of guides for every champion by the way. If you're new, always read through 1-2 guides before playing a new champion.

Onto your questions:

Magic Penetration is a must if you're playing any offensive champion with an AP build. Same goes for Armor Penetration when playing physical DPS. It won't affect your lifesteal at all though.
Critical runes are never the best choice on Marks. Always place Armor/Magic pen on marks (Unless you're playing support I guess). It makes a huge difference.

The point of an AP build is in fact your shield and stun. Both abilities have great AP ratios. It gives you a great burst. Because of Enrage your melee attacks will still deal decent damage, but your main damage source will be your stun and exploding your shield.

AirShark

06-18-2010

Try this one out!

AP sion is my main and I'm a fairly humble and honest guy that being said, I win 99% (mostly twisted treeline is where I play him but I'm gonna start trying it on 5v) of my games and carry the team almost every game with AP sion.

Hands down AP Sion is arguably the greatest and easiest and fun to learn.

Masteries: I go 9/0/21 with flash and ignite (see attached)

Runes: I do cooldown, dodge, magic pen or even attack speed wouldn't hurt. (universal pretty much) and EXP QUINTS! (very important)

Strategy:

Sion's death's caress farms creeps like CRAZY! then turn on enrage for the rest of the game (should be able to use wihtout it hurting your HP) you'll build up massive health and with all the extra exp you'll be level 6 while everyone else is lvl 3! I solo against Jax on TT and win everytime! Jax, yi, big DPS can't handle stun and your shield together so you can almost always survive a gank by hitting those and flashing outta there. Farm Lizard, and buff-giving creeps whenever you can. Should be able to solo liz around lvl 5 but i like to do it at 6 and turn on my ulti (it recharges relatively fast). When you get good enough with him always try to solo top lane and get boots of mobility to gank bot and rack up some kills. If in a gank turn on your ulti when teammates are mid/lowish on health (it gives them lifesteal) and will surprise the team and make them greedy for a kill but the lifesteal and attackspeed your team gets along with you dishing out damage and stun will keep them from getting away. It takes a little while but as always the best strategy is being able to adapt him to your type of gameplay. You can be a little greedy with him and turret dive at higher levels by clicking your shield and stunning the bad guy. Shield absorbs a few turret shots, just make sure you can get away.

Skill order: Cryptic Gaze = Q, Death's Carress = W, Enrage = E, Cannibalism = R

W>E>Q>W>Q>R>...

W first because it can do a lot of damage to the surroundings (also good for leveling fast and farming creeps) and give you protection to run away, E so you can get your health rising and do extra damage (always have on after lvl 2, it shouldn't hurt your HP). Q last because its EXPENSIVE and by this time you'll have enough mana and items to use it effectively, alot of ppl think this should be first but I've tried it and do not like having it first, I leave myself without mana and have to make a lot of trips back to base = no EXP!

Items:
Early game- buy boots first and then stock 2 health potions and a mana potion. Then miki pendent>sapphire crystal> fiendish codex> boots of swiftness or mobility>tear of goddess>glacial shroud>archangels staff>nashors tooth> then go for more AP like Zhonya's ring or spell vamp late game. If you get to level 18 and have these items you'll be unstoppable.

Send me a friend request when you're on and I can show you how I play him I hope this helps.

- AirShark

FishDeLaMuerte

06-18-2010

Although AP Sion can be a beast, his skillset was built to be DPS. His stun allows him to close the gap, his shield protects him when he charges in towards his target, his Engrage allows him to do massive damage especially in the early laning phase and his ultimate heals for damage done by regular attacks. However, Sion is viable as: tank, AP and DPS. I would recommend you go DPS simply because AP Sion has only 2 skills and does not take advantage of his Enrage and ultimate. A Last Whisper (or any other good AS item aka NOT malady) is insane on DPS Sion especially when he gets his Engrage up to max level. So like most DPS champs: go 21/9/0 on your masteries. Armor pen and dodge runes for sure. I like mana regen per level for blue runes because it gives me staying power and is always useful for almost any champ you play. Good luck with Sion.

Pancakezlol

06-18-2010

I've won the last 3 games as AP Sion, I think he's fun that way, but I have been hearing about the DPS build. I just haven't been able to farm fast/gank as DPS and lost a match as DPS build, but I hear what you're saying Fish.

I'm playing around low elo at Summoner lvl 12 so I'm not sure if DPS build would be good for me yet around there.

Air- I'll look you up if you're on sometime this weekend, would like to get used to both AP and DPS Sion builds.