Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

JDola new player

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

JDola

06-18-2010

I find it very difficult to play when getting used to the over all system. getting owned allot is expected for a first time player on a platform such as this but the ones that do know what they are doing really like to select those that dont and camp them relentlessly. An ideas on classes to start with and learn in a faster way?

Eggtart Chow

06-18-2010

I'll help you out. For some in game help, check out this thread (http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=123803). I'll play a game with you. For a starter champion, I recommend Ashe, Sivir, or Soraka. All ranged and easy to learn.

cwatz

Adjudicator

06-18-2010

Most people find starting off on ranged champions is a bit easier. This is because they are usually stronger in lanes at the start of the game which allows the players to keep up in creep kills and experience better so the can stay as strong as the rest of the champions in the game more often rather than falling behind.

As for starting off, doing the tutorial and some practice games against AI bots is a good way to get down the very elementary parts of the game. After that there are a few threads around these forums that provide some nice starter tips for new players. Lastly you can check out the guides and strategy section for the champions you are playing to check out some of the item builds or playstyles people use on that champion.

Lastly when you are starting off its generally best to stay on the side of caution. Dont push to far out by yourself, pay attention to your minimap and where enemy champions might be and later on in the game try to stay close to your teammates. That usually cuts down a bunch of the deaths new players have and can be a starter point for them to start picking up some of the more detailed parts of the game.

Kymera3

06-19-2010

I've learned to play the game by a friend who showed me. After being in the early level20's i decided to do the tutorial since I never did and I was curious what is looked like. Personally i found it crappy. It's more to explain to you what you have to do like destroy the enemy nexus, towers do to you a lot of damage, you have fancy skills, you have summoners skills.

But it doesn't show you how to play, how to push, etc. Playing against bots i like to when a new champ comes out to test him or new builds. But try to learn alone against bots is not a good idea, they are ******ed. Alistar always charges you even when you are at your tower you just need to attack him once and let the tower do the rest and you have a kill, and most of them just stop moving at some point when you are killing them, they just don't react some times.

I'd say the best way to learn is from another player. I,ve been following this forum and i know that Eggtart has helped many witch I find pretty cool and I've asked a few that he helped and i only got good answers. I don't mind helping as well in my free time.

Oh and welcome to LoL also you are a new player always fun to see them ^.^
Hope to see you in game

Wuumaster

06-19-2010

Unfortunately, much of this game is learned from experience. You develop what I and my friends call 'Ackbar senses' (hmm.. It's a TRAP! Let's GTFO before the gank squad comes) that will help you decide when you're safe to push and when you need to play it safe. You'll also begin to learn when to chase/pressure and when to back off.

However, here's some pointers.

• Ranged DPS are easier to learn than Melee DPS. The range helps keep them out of danger, and lets them harass/farm/push in relative safety.
  • Tanks take a little finess, in a different way than in other games. Learning when and where to initiate and how to survive it takes some time.
  • Crowd Control (CC) is very useful. Slows, Stuns, Taunts, Silences, and forced movement skills can all change the tide of a fight. One of the reasons Ashe is a good starting Champion is because she has a Slow and a Stun, on top of being a ranged DPS.

For Laning
  • Avoid getting smacked by the enemy champions, while trying to smack them back. If it's melee vs melee, if you see them running up to you, back off a bit, then turn and smack them when they turn to run back. Ranged vs ranged works the same. Ranged vs melee generally doesn't work out so well for the melee.
  • Trading harassment (smacking each other once) is only good if you're getting the better shot in. See this thread (http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=129559) for more on harassment.
  • If the enemy champions in your lane are out of sight for more than a few seconds (7-10s roughly), tell your teammates. 'mia bottom' might save some lives, and it's good practice for when you leave new player island.
  • A good way to train your 'Ackbar Senses' - at any time, look at the map and note which enemy champions are not visible. Ask yourself how screwed you'd be if one of those non-visible enemy champions suddenly popped in behind you from the fog of war.
    • If you're at your tower, you'd chuckle, because that dude's an idiot and possibly a free kill.
    • If you're in the middle of the lane, you're probably alright, assuming you have a decent amount of health. You'd probably be able to get to the tower with enough health left to make the three enemy champions back off.
    • If you're attacking the enemy tower, you're probably screwed. Unless the two opposing champions are really low, you're going to need to run to your tower as fast as you can and hope you survive. That's not to say you should never attack the enemy tower, just calculate how likely it is that someone from another lane wants to mess with your plans.

For team fighting
  • Try to stay behind the tank. Let him eat all the pot shots and random CC the enemy team throws at you.
  • Watch the sides, especially brush. If a strong enemy burster (like Ryze, Annie) can flank you, it can quickly spiral into an ace.
  • If you have some range, throw some pot shots of your own. Ashe's Volley, Ezreal's Mystic Shot, and (sometimes) Morgana's Dark Binding are all good candidates. Try to hit a squishy damage dealer or support, not the tank (though pinging him isn't a waste, just don't aim for him).
  • Let the tank initate the fight...
    • Unless you have an amazing (and preferably ranged) initating tool of your own. Ashe's Enchanted Crystal Arrow and Annie's stunbear (Summon Tibbers + charged Pyromania) are awesome for starting fights.
    • Make sure that starting a fight right here and right now is to your advantage - look at your team's mana/health and the enemy's mana/health. Make sure the whole team is here (or at least as many as the enemy team has - don't start a fight while you're outnumbered!)
  • Fight or Flight. When deciding whether to run or die fighting, consider - how likely am I to get away? How likely is the rest of my team to get away? How likely am I to get a kill if I stay? How much does my team's chances of living improve if I sacrifice myself and stay? Sometimes you'll run and get killed anyway. Sometimes you'll stay and die without any benefit. Experience will help reduce the chances.

Edit - Wall of Text is solid. Always looks better when you're writing it.

JDola

06-21-2010

Thanks for all the tips and offers to help. I have found that with play the game has become more natural to me now. Now the fun part, who to play. I have taken the advice of most and started with a ranged dps'r (Sivir) and I have had some good and some limited success with her, she is a support class not a champion killer.
I find the "sences" that everyone speaks of are the first to mature during game play, O snap this looks like a gank spot. Sure enough it was too good to be true. I find my struggle coming from my background in WOW, I have always been a tank and a mele dps'r all the way back to the Diablo I days.So the natural urge to run and gun takes over and I end up in respawn dead, patience is the name of this game/ Thanks for all the input