Daegen's guide to Shaco; Indepth Look on my Approach

12345612 ... 19
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Souen

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-19-2010

Nice guide, I found the counter-jungling section particularly useful

Daegen

06-19-2010

I agree with Aura's 100%. I tested it and I like it better than Frozen Mallet. I chose Frozen Mallet because it adds survivability that I need to live through initial bursts in team fights. Guide has been updated =]

radica

06-19-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daegen View Post
I agree with Aura's 100%. I tested it and I like it better than Frozen Mallet. I chose Frozen Mallet because it adds survivability that I need to live through initial bursts in team fights. Guide has been updated =]
-6.3K Career Kills
-1.1K Turrets Destroyed
-As of May 21, 2010, Most Shaco Wins in League of Legends
-As of June 8, 2010, Over 750 Games played As Shaco

BS. Didn't think Aura was the best build originally and still no Guardian Angel.

Daegen

06-19-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by radica View Post
-6.3K Career Kills
-1.1K Turrets Destroyed
-As of May 21, 2010, Most Shaco Wins in League of Legends
-As of June 8, 2010, Over 750 Games played As Shaco

BS. Didn't think Aura was the best build originally and still no Guardian Angel.

There is no single "best build" when playing Shaco and like many other champions, you NEED to adapt to the enemy's team composition. Aura's are great for Shaco because Shaco is the ONLY champion in the game that can utilize one Aura for the price of two.

Guardian's Angel is viable on Shaco but I never really liked that item to begin with unless you are a tank and are expected to absorb tons of damage. Shaco should never absorb tons of damage...he can't and he shouldn't. The only reason why I believe someone should carry a Guardian's Angel is if the game you're playing in exceeds the 50 min mark, where respawn times can be as long as a minute for each person. Not only that but when you play higher competitive games, those games will most of the time, never last that long because you will have competent teams destroying your nexus the majority of the games you play in.

I'd rather have a Stark's Fervor, which helps teams win games, than to have a G.A. and use its effect maybe once before the game is over.

Daegen

06-19-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHegemuffin View Post
Hey, this is a great guide; I think you cover a lot of the most important points. Just a few minor details / questions, since I recently started playing my Shaco in a manner similar to this...

(1) I feel that in higher ELO play you may be undervaluing Cleanse, EVEN in a jungle build where you're taking Smite and taking Cleanse means that you won't have an offensive or chasing ability. That said, I don't usually build Frozen Mallet and I don't really get HP unless it's a Sunfire, so it may just be that my Shaco is EVEN squishier than yours. However, all the same, I feel that since Shaco is such an opportunist as it is, getting CCed in a crucial moment can very easily screw up a kill, not to mention that CC is pretty much the only danger of getting killed with Shaco if their team is good and goes out of their way to chain CC you. Cleanse just makes it all that much smoother, and with good anticipation + your Deceive and Shiv, cutting off a runner shouldn't be that hard without Ghost.

(2) If you consider the absolute BS (one way to look at it) of Stark's stacking with a clone, don't you think it's a pretty invaluable item in a DPS build, if you're planning to get Emblem anyway and since all the stats are great for him and it's best for your team early? This point is really just an honest question, since I usually rush Stark's now after Madred's Razor + Boots and save Bloodrazor for late game (since the 4% HP will make more difference then and either way I'm buying a Recurve Bow). I'd like to know your experience with it early vs. late.

(3) Frozen Mallet is the only element of this build that is truly new to me, and I'm looking forward to trying it. However, it's also kind of pricey, and I'm just wondering if you've ever tried getting an Aegis on some teams. Again, this may be more effective if you get Stark's earlier, but aurastack is not to be underestimated on a strong team with his clone out.

K, that's it. These are all really minor points and overall I really liked the guide. Looking forward to your response.

1) To be fair, I have never used Cleanse before when playing Shaco. I'm not sure if it is just me but in teamfights, I'm usually not the one the enemy team focuses their CC unto. Granted, I get CCed but it isn't to the point where I am automatically stun - stun - stun - snare - dead...the case in which I do get stunned (which hurts because I don't carry Merc Treads all the time) is when THEY are the ones usually running away from ME. Very good point that you bring up...maybe it could be my timing in which I enter those chaotic fights but I manage to never have problems with immense CC, which in turns brings up the reason why I don't carry cleanse. I'll try it though in a couple of games and see how I do. =]

2) Stark's being invaluable in a DPS build? No no no...Stark's is invaluable when you have your whole team consisting of mages and tanks with only 1 true carry, as it only maximizes benefit to you and that single carry. If I encounter a problem such as that, I simply carry Emblem for me only, knowing I'd rather not waste any more gold on teammates that do not use my Stark's at all. To answer your question bluntly though, Stark's on a DPS build is NOT invaluable but rather viable because of the lifesteal and attack speed that my Shaco build revolves around...which is attack damage.

3) Frozen Mallet has worked well for because I survive the initial bursts of teamfights that in turn, would have perished had I gone a route completely different. I do not take Mallet for its slow, but that's very nice though because I don't always have to save my shiv for last; I take mallet for its pure, 700 HP.

Hoped I answered some of your questions =]

Daegen

06-19-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souen View Post
Nice guide, I found the counter-jungling section particularly useful

Thankyou =] I'll be posting my jungling rotation in the near future =]

CryptFiend

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-19-2010

+1

very useful guide. Gave solid insight to building shaco vs specific team comps.

Zerosk83

06-19-2010

Bookmarked.

malphismia

06-19-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daegen View Post
1) To be fair, I have never used Cleanse before when playing Shaco. I'm not sure if it is just me but in teamfights, I'm usually not the one the enemy team focuses their CC unto. Granted, I get CCed but it isn't to the point where I am automatically stun - stun - stun - snare - dead...the case in which I do get stunned (which hurts because I don't carry Merc Treads all the time) is when THEY are the ones usually running away from ME. Very good point that you bring up...maybe it could be my timing in which I enter those chaotic fights but I manage to never have problems with immense CC, which in turns brings up the reason why I don't carry cleanse. I'll try it though in a couple of games and see how I do. =]

2) Stark's being invaluable in a DPS build? No no no...Stark's is invaluable when you have your whole team consisting of mages and tanks with only 1 true carry, as it only maximizes benefit to you and that single carry. If I encounter a problem such as that, I simply carry Emblem for me only, knowing I'd rather not waste any more gold on teammates that do not use my Stark's at all. To answer your question bluntly though, Stark's on a DPS build is NOT invaluable but rather viable because of the lifesteal and attack speed that my Shaco build revolves around...which is attack damage.

3) Frozen Mallet has worked well for because I survive the initial bursts of teamfights that in turn, would have perished had I gone a route completely different. I do not take Mallet for its slow, but that's very nice though because I don't always have to save my shiv for last; I take mallet for its pure, 700 HP.

Hoped I answered some of your questions =]
Great guide.

Just wanted to point out that you need a lifesteal item (if your health is low, just jungle and lifesteal it back without blue-pilling), and starks is probably your best option.

I really don't know how you pulled off jungling without smite :P It seems soooo slow without it, what time do you reach level 6 by (or what time do you do dragon)?

And guardian angel is the worst item you can get shaco. Clone dies from even indirect AE damage, it receives 135% more damage than normal, it dies, the UNIQUE of GA is wasted on the clone. There is no other reason to get the GA except for the unique, which is more often than not wasted on your clone instead of saving your life.

NSPlayer Radix

06-19-2010

Why kill minions when you can kill players?

12345612 ... 19