[Guide] Bull-dozing with Alistar

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Mecklin

10-06-2009

This guide has convinced me to play Alistar.

Well done!

kenangonewild

10-06-2009

I'm so thankful for this guide.
For serious.

Alistar was always the slow, mildly-tough, mediocre champion who was only good for healing a creep wave--he just wasn't that impressive to me.

But now, for some reason, when I play him?
He's absolutely amazing.
Headbutting is great for kills and great for protecting an ally.
Roar helps me deal with ranged champions who harass me non-stop.
And more than anything, I love not being able to get killed unless I -REALLY- screw up or it's 5v1.
(And even then, I've gotten away a few times during the 5v1.)

So, it's a solid guide and I use it a lot.
I rarely tweak the item build (and it helps that after Sheen/Atma's, you've still got room for two more items--so there is room for tweaking/customization, I guess).

My only problem is that I must not be able to push very well, because I'm not able to get to towers very frequently--but when I do, I must say I love hitting them for anywhere from 100-400 per shot.
But, that's my failing as a player, I'm sure.

So, in conclusion?
Way to go!
If nothing else, you totally changed my opinion on Alistar and I appreciate it tons.

Hiclic

10-07-2009

I haven't played Alistar in awhile and decided to give the build a try. Very fun. I find after the Sheen/Atma's that I drift off the build list, getting either trinity force, banshees or PD. Tabi+PD+Mastery+Nimbleness = Sexy. Nothing quite like speeding up whenever you get jumped.

I also tried promote last game. It didn't end very well due to people not coordinating but I was able to push tower demolished lanes with it--very sneakily might I add.

ZOMGWTFPWNAGE

11-07-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiclic View Post
I haven't played Alistar in awhile and decided to give the build a try. Very fun. I find after the Sheen/Atma's that I drift off the build list, getting either trinity force, banshees or PD. Tabi+PD+Mastery+Nimbleness = Sexy. Nothing quite like speeding up whenever you get jumped.

I also tried promote last game. It didn't end very well due to people not coordinating but I was able to push tower demolished lanes with it--very sneakily might I add.

I agree with you on the items they are perfect. I get Banshee's if enemy line up is more stun nukes or PD if they're more physical. I've tried promote but imo it's horrible to long of CD and either ghost or flash with cleanse is way better imo. I just wait for a wave with cannon (acts as my promote unit would) to push with then wait till turret starts hitting on me to pop ulti. The cannon mob has a bit of health so gives me bashing time before ulti to smash turret. But even if hero(s) shows up and if they're melee i just stun em and continue with tower while spamming roar. If to many heros show up or are ranged with stuns with turret hitting me i will almost always have nimbleness proc'ed already and can get away. NOTE: I will always stay and die if i think i can get the turret with me. (Save cleanse for when they try and stun you to stop the destruction of thier tower =D)

For chalice or tear argument... I love chalice over tear after combo and roar spams your mana gets low but that's a good thing because after u use ur combo, hopefully ur lane partner is smart enough to respond and get the kill, u wont need more mana and just continue with smashing mobs and spamming roar. Low mana is good because it increases ur mana regen based on how much mana you are missing! and the magic resistance is a must!

@Doctor Awesome this guide is simply amazing! good work! u win many cool points. On another note you might want to try updating mastery part. This was the part i found myself lost with when first reading your guide. I think you should explain the benefits of dodge+ nimbleness as a huge plus due to his slow move speed! As well as a possible option for improved flash(for the people who think flash has to long of CD) in utility but at a 4 point sacrifice to the defense tree or get ghost and keep 4 points in defense if you think it better. imo even with ghost enemy can still see the "one/two" coming. Also As for items although the Frozen Maul and Last Whisper are good items i think Phantom Dancer or Banshees Veil (depending on enemy line up just like the boots decision) with trinity force (direct upgrade from sheen 150% dmg instead of 100% and you still have the slow effect!!!!) is far better in comparison. Also say if you went mercury treads and regret not getting the +dodge on tabi for whatever reasons just get PD for ur #5 or 6 item depending if u get Trinity force first or last these items are very versatile which is needed in any item build because they are subject to change depending on enemy lineup/lane group. So plz plz plz test and reply on ur thoughts and update the guide these are the only things i can think of changing to making this, already fantastic, guide just a lil bit better.

*High fives Doctor Awesome*

thegamenet

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

11-08-2009

sweet guide Doctor Awesome - I posted it on www.thelolwiki.com / gave you full credit for it. Nice work dude.

Akaris

11-09-2009

This method of building Alistar really intrigued me--more so than many champs. I've been trying some of this out and here are my thoughts:

Tear of the Goddess vs Chalice of Harmony: I'm really torn on this one and I do have to disagree with some of the other players' comments. In my experience, I've been running out of mana far more often with the chalice than I have been the tear. While the chalice does pump out some nice regen at low mana, Alistar needs a lot to do his one-two combo. If you throw in his ult and likely a heal, you need a LOT of mana all at once. All the regen in the world doesn't matter when you're out and need to use an ability.

When I tested the tear out, it was the first item I built so it had a long time to give me a massive mana pool. What I hadn't tried was to build it second with Sheen first. The advantages it offers may be lessened by that delay and may altar my opinion, but I never had issues with mana with the tear. It made using roar on every cooldown a no-brainer, whereas once I started to get low with the chalice I had to start being much more careful to reserve enough for either the ultimate or the one-two.

While this may seem easy, what makes it difficult for me is the included magic resist on the chalice. It's no small amount and if facing a caster-heavy team much needed. So I'd probably lean toward recommending the tear when facing a physical dps lineup (or melee/tank heavy) and the chalice if it's more caster heavy. A final consideration for this seems to be lane partner. When laning with someone that can take advantage of the one-two (like a stunner or heavy dps) then the chalice is nice since you don't need to spam heals. When I've laned with someone that was less ideal (say, Yi) or when facing a good counter-pusher/harasser, the tear was nice since it let me spam roar more often and get the bonus to boot. It's difficult to know how that's going to go when you purchase the first item, but it does seem to matter.

Atma's Impaler: I don't quite see the huge advantage in this item as one of the early purchases. I understand your logic and it does appear that with base stats considered, Alistar has perhaps the largest hitpoint pool of all the champions to capitalize on this item without anything else. However, it's not a cheap item and I'm starting to think that the coins would best be spent elsewhere. Alistar isn't the best gold collector so my problem is that when I rush this item, I still feel a bit squishy. Sure, I may hit like a truck, but the other team tends to focus the minotaur slapping them around with a vengeance. You're right, if the role of the tank is to draw ire, this behavior and this item sure encourages it. I'd like to survive long enough to tell the tale, though.

What I would suggest is placing a health item just before this in the build order. What I've been trying the last few games is Sheen -> Chalice -> Boots -> Phage -> Atma's. Then you can follow up with the Frozen Mallet or something else. Instead of Phage, it could simply be the health gem component, but I find that slow very useful because this point of the game has fewer team battles and often still 2v2s or so. That slow really helps to slow them after the stun and get a few more hits in for those needed mid-game kills and money.

Perhaps what I like best about Atma's is the armor. You could mix this up a bit more and get the armor right after the boots, then phage and finish up the impaler. This gets you a lot of survivalbility for your buck earlier when you need it without goofing up the long-term damage priority.

Finally, this may be obvious, but also of note is that when facing teams that are caster heavy, Atma's Impaler has a lesser effect for the cost. Still a nice item, just perhaps less of a priority. I might build the Banshee's Veil after the boots and before Atma's (forgo phage until later).

Sheen First: I don't have too much to say about this, other than it seems like a good idea. You just need to be careful with your mana and try to reserve it as much as possible for offensive maneuvers (not roaring). When you do get sheen, the one-two combo is so deadly since most champions are only level 3 or 4 and haven't purchased anything other than some regen items and perhaps boots. The combo with accompanying crits is incredible and with an alert lane partner is almost a guaranteed kill. A new Alistar player might still want to go with one of the mana regen items since it's safer, but an offensive-oriented Alistar player would probably be better off with Sheen.

Anyway, I do like this guide and it makes Alistar far more fun to play. It seems I usually see him built as an uber-tank and while he's impossible to kill he's not very scary either. Your ideas make him a bit squishier, but much, much more imposing!

Kimmy Gibler

11-10-2009

This build is oddly unbelievable. I just rocked a game with 21 kills.... too bad we still lost as our Anivia was 1-13, and our Sion was 2-13.

I ended up with enough money to get Triforce at the end.

AngryAL

11-13-2009

@ OP

Great guide
Led my team to victory

Crazy Demon

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-14-2009

I approve of this guide- Oh wait, this is a guide for Alistar, not corki.

Quikdeth

11-14-2009

Chalice -> N. Tabi Boots -> Sheen -> Zeal -> Phage -> Triforce

This build has worked really well for me. Allows for some Kills, A LOT of assists and awesome pushing ability. After these items it usually depends on what I'm up against as to what item to buy next, but I usually go with a Atma's or an HP item.