Newish and need some help staying interested

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kanryo

06-17-2010

So I played LoL when it was in beta and for a bit after it's release to level 20, whereupon I got sick of it and stopped playing. A few weeks ago I started playing again, and have gotten to level 30 as of a few days ago.

However, I'm trying hard to stay interested and am just unable to squeeze much fun out of it, and it's starting to seem like a real waste of time to me. I'm not sure if it's just that I always get bad teammates or get placed against really good teams, but I'm about to just give up and uninstall.

My early game as a melee usually involves last hitting creep for a level or two before the other team uses a ranged ability then closes to fight, whereupon we trade hits and the other team always ends up better off than me and my partner, forcing me to sit back and play watch your gold counter go up while the other team last hits their way to better items.

As a ranged, I find I can't go toe to toe with anyone, which makes sense, except whenever team fights are on I always get jumped on or singled out, without being overtly exposed, and die, or stay so far back that I'm untouchable and do pretty much nothing.

The only character I have any fun with is Warwick, because I jungle early on and then run into lanes and gank, as that's how he does, but it gets really boring only playing one champion and I want to be good at every aspect of the game. However, whenever I try new characters I just get rolled on and can't learn anything. Practice games consist of nothing but premades waiting for other people to join to test things out, so they don't work either.

I guess my question is, since I'm obviously doing something(s) wrong, how do I figure out what that is and get better, as I'm level 30 and am supposed to be, or should I just give up and an hero?

Muramas

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-17-2010

I find a good part of the game is finding new tactics and playing different champs till you find one you really love.

First thing I do when I play a game, if you find people who are good in the match you can add them to your friends list and then play premades with them (so you know your team mates are actually good)

It just sounds from your tactics of playing that you just have not found a proper champion. Change up your gameplay and maybe watch the other champions are doing well and follow them and learn what they are doing and how it works. I also suggest checking out guides on Leaguecraft (google it) to see if you can do any better and maybe change up your item builds...Also don't forget to pick up a defensive item like banshee.

Generally it takes up to the 20s till people really learn how to play properly and by then you are needing to relearn all you just learned to become even better.

Spourky

06-17-2010

As a sort of new player myself it sounds like you are really concerned with the early/mid game and subsequent outcomes of that without taking a good look at the metagame, which involves alot more interplay/looking ahead etc.

As a ranged myself, after alot of games, I'm finding I can go toe to toe with just about anyone, but that is because I learned alot about ranges, how to taunt people into my minions, how to gear up over time, (not just between 1 - 6 but what to build for 10 - 15 and beyond.

Also, learning any new character is going to take some time, as each one has a lot of differant functionality.

My suggestion is spending some time creating your own practice games, (title them things like, "1-5 only" or "5-15 only" so you are really focusing on people in your league, and also utilizing practice games to learn rather than hurting yours and other's elo's by joining normal games without understanding the character you're playing.

Kanryo

06-17-2010

I appreciate the responses. As I said, I'm level 30, and I know what leaguecraft, mobafire, and solomid are, and I always look for guides before playing a champion. I don't plan to spend money on a game I find so lackluster, so champions become available to me slowly, or not at all if I need to buy some runes, and so I'm usually limited to the free ones.

The problem I have with getting owned early game is that I can't support my team mid-game, and late-game the other team has a 10-15 kill lead. While it doesn't happen EVERY time, I find it happens such a large percentage of the time that it's not worth it for the times it goes alright.

I guess my biggest concern is that I just suck, no matter what I do. It's really important to me that I be good at what I do, and so if this is the case I feel like I should just give up. I guess I'm just looking for a very experienced player to tell me if feeling like this is normal at all or if I just suck.

Also: Please don't take anything I said the wrong way, I truly appreciate any responses anyone makes

cwatz

Adjudicator

06-18-2010

A lot of it just comes with experience. An important component of the game is knowing which battles you can win and which ones you cant. The only way to learn that is by playing the game more. Eventually it all pays off and your skill drastically increases.

As for melees in lane they are often very vulnerable. If you cant beat the other team in a fight then you have to try to minimize harassment damage against yourself while still trying to last hit creeps for the extra gold. If you are having a really hard time you can ask for a gank or swap lanes to a place that might not be as rough.

For ranged, they are generally squishy. You have to position yourself well in a battle and time your movements very well to try and maximize damage output on the other teams important members while keeping yourself safe. Sticking your neck out to far or getting in a bad position is an easy way to die. If you find the other team is always targeting you first, ask your teammates to try and help you out with cc spells so you can kite them and damage them while keeping yourself safe.

Until you get more comfortable with some of the mechanics, it can help to be a ranged champion to let you get more skilled at the early game. Either that or you could try jungle champions. Personally im a big fan of jungle champions because I enjoy ganking the side lines. If that is a playstyle that you enjoy then maybe you could try to master a few jungling champions to start off with.

Games like these can take a long time to truly master and its perfectly normal to have a bit of a rough time when you start out so dont let it demoralize you. I went through a very similar thing when I first learned to play dota. After a little while you will start to notice improvements, and as long as you are focused on trying to improve you keep improving until eventually you are awesome at the game.

Kanryo

06-18-2010

Thanks for the reply cwatz. Like I said, I've done well with warwick and I seem to be good at him, as I usually understand the mechanics of any given game a lot better than I am able to apply them, and jungling/ganking gives you time to think ahead before you choose to enter a fight, so I don't need to make snap decisions as often.

One thing I'm still curious about, do you remember a wall of difficulty early on at all? I feel like not only do I suck(and feel bad about it for being level 30), but I'm not even sure if I'm getting better. On top of that, every time I play a new champion, or at least a new style of champion, I have to relearn so much that I feel even dumber for not knowing how. Did there come any point for anyone where things suddenly clicked, and you made a big, relatively sudden improvement in your ability? Cause as it is I feel so hopeless.

Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to reply

Pie Slice

06-18-2010

you have to find the "trick", like me with anivia.
When I started off anivia I was like WTF? then I checked the forums and I realized she's a very hard to even play champion, I started to practice and didn't get too far away, until that day I saw a video of a guy playing anivia and then I found the "trick", which was coordinating 4 actions in less than 2 seconds to actually do something... after that day I lived happily forevermore.

BeefStake

06-18-2010

Yeah I experienced a similar thing, this is a game that becomes more enjoyable with time.
My hero that I learnt the ropes on was Teemo, I have about 550 games with him or something ridiculus. :P
Just find yourself a champ that you like to play and can play well so you can observe the game and how other champs are played before trying them out yourself.
Some of Phreaks spotlights arent too bad but you will probably have better luck with Leaguecraft etc to be honest.

GLHF and hang in there.

cwatz

Adjudicator

06-18-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanryo View Post
Thanks for the reply cwatz. Like I said, I've done well with warwick and I seem to be good at him, as I usually understand the mechanics of any given game a lot better than I am able to apply them, and jungling/ganking gives you time to think ahead before you choose to enter a fight, so I don't need to make snap decisions as often.

One thing I'm still curious about, do you remember a wall of difficulty early on at all? I feel like not only do I suck(and feel bad about it for being level 30), but I'm not even sure if I'm getting better. On top of that, every time I play a new champion, or at least a new style of champion, I have to relearn so much that I feel even dumber for not knowing how. Did there come any point for anyone where things suddenly clicked, and you made a big, relatively sudden improvement in your ability? Cause as it is I feel so hopeless.

Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to reply
If that's the case then maybe the jungle is a good place for you to start and really excel with and learn the rest of the games finer points before branching out to more laning based champions. There are quite a few champions in the game that can jungle (though you will have to probably give them all a try for 5-10 mins in a practice game to figure out howyou will jungle on them).

That will cut down on the snap decisions you have to make, and will allow you to slowly ease yourself into situations where you do have to make snap decisions. As you get more educated in the game, making those snap decisions becomes easier and easier because you will know before hand what fights you can win and which fights you should shy away from. That's the benefit of only playing a few champions to start out with because you will become strong with them and know which situations are advantageous for you and which ones are dangerous. After you get used to it on a few of them, you can pick up other champions and get good on them in just a few games.

As an example, if I play Olaf, my primary role in a teamfight is to beat down the ranged squishy characters on the other team. Soon I will learn how to effectively do that. I will also learn which targets are good and which are bad. I will also learn what all the other champions will try to do to escape you, and what the others teams champions will attempt to do to peel you off of their teammates.

Now if I play someone like Akali, she has the exact same role in a teamfight. I will have to get used to her skillset a bit and what she can and cannot do. However from my experience with Olaf I have gained the knowledge of what those champions are going to try to do to escape me, so I will already have an idea as how to most effectively use my champion and summoner abilities to be effective. I will also know what the other teams champions will be trying to do if I get on one of their squishy members.

As you can see, while the experience with Akali and how she plays will be entirely different from Olaf, I have gained universal knowledge from my experiences on Olaf which I can now apply to Akali and how I use her.

As far as the wall of difficulty goes, everyone has it. I started on dota (a very similar game to LoL that came out with warcraft 3) so when I came to LoL I didnt have to learn nearly as much. However from my Dota experience I can tell you I sucked and I sucked hard for a long time. It took me 5 games to kill my first champion, and I had a negative K/D ratio for pretty much my first 2 weeks playing. It took me a month to actually get good at the game and I was playing about 4 hours a day.

Secondly dont let your level worry you. The leveling system is just something riot added to give some extra flavor to the game. When I came back to the game after a break I started at level 1 because everything from beta had been removed of course. However I was pretty experienced at the game, while a lot had changed I was still more less a veteren. Often I was level 15 or something, and everyone else in the game was level 30. Level means nothing at all. These games can take a while to learn and most level 30s have a ton to learn. If they didnt then they would be top Elo players.

As far as different styles of champions, its not "relearning" anything. There are tanks, supports, ranged dps, ranged casters, melee dps, melee casters, offtank/dps classes and the list goes on. Ontop of that, all of them have certain things they excel at or certain playstyles accompanied with them. Its not about "relearning" its about having to just learn. It can be very overwhelming when you are just getting into it. With experience it will become natural.

As far as improving, I wouldnt say you "notice" it so to speak. Its like watching a sibling grow up. They are obviously growing and getting taller, but because you see them everyday you dont notice it until you compare them to how they looked a year before. However if you look for it you will really notice it.

As an example I will use Olaf again. Had I never played a champion like him, and had I not known what all the other champions in the game are like and what they do I would have been dead in the water. I would have been dead in the water with a lot of champions. However due to my experience and gained knowledge, I was able to jump right in on him and within 4-5 games I felt as comfortable on him as I did on some of my more "main" champions.

The point I am trying to get at is dont get discouraged. The more you learn, the faster and faster you will be able to learn other things, even if you dont notice. Your growth as a player starts off slow, but later on can go at light speeds. 1+1=2, 2+2=4, 4+4=8, 8+8=16, 16+16=32. Thats what getting better at this game is like. At first you only make small gains, however as time goes on, much like my olaf example, you will be able to catch on to things much quicker because you can apply previous knowledge to it.

As one more example I will tell you a big breakthrough I had. When I first started playing I payed very little attention to neutral buffs like lizard and golem (red and blue runes). However suddenly one day I got one and noticed the drastic impact it made on my ability to kill things. From that day forward ive done everything I can to control the runes and always have the buffs if I can because they make you much stronger. That right there was a large breakthrough, even though I didnt notice it at the time.

Xocolatl

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-18-2010

You're too serious, man. If performance is so important, then this is work for you, not play. I would suggest posting a picture of lolcats next to your monitor to remind yourself that this is a game.
Other than that, practice, practice, practice. Like others said, you just have to get a feel for it.

I would also suggest playing at off hour. You get to play with much higher quality of people (if not skill, then at least nicer people), and it makes the game much more enjoyable.