Are some supports in Dominion viable?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Elealar

10-21-2011

Sona is amazing. Build her:
Trinity Force
Mercs (or Tabi as necessary)
Frozen Heart
Wit's End
Etc.

She's IMHO one of the best tanky DPS on the map, being naturally ranged and yet naturally tanky thanks to her W and has the obscene burst in her Q+Power Chord+Sheen Auto-attack and the inherent slow + speed and great kiting. People go AP on her too easy; try the tanky DPS build.

Janna is amazing; standard AP. Catalyst + Fiendish Codex + CDR Boots into RoA + Cap, etc. Zilean works great with the exact same build. He's my pick for the strongest character on the map; the passive gives you a very opportune level-up in the opening fights allowing your team to use your ults before the enemy, and with max CDR + Rewind you can perma-speed two people. Your ult CD is ~30 seconds with Rewind spam. Your Bombs do AOE damage and you have ~600 base damage without items on level 9, which is very high up there beating basically all other casters (discounting ults of course). He also kites like a boss, makes Poppy pretty **** useless, defends points forever and is overall just obscenely strong.

Soraka I build tanky and go bot with. Odyn's, Frozen Heart, Mercs, Rylai, Abyssal into Deathcap, Sunfire Cape, Hextech Sweeper or similar. She beats most bots with Starcall spam and gives a steady stream of Wishes for the team. The MR reduction makes her effectively a Singed that keeps getting stronger as the fight goes on. Ridiculous. And the Silence so good too breaking spell comboes, doing decent harass, etc. I go Starcall > Astral Blessing > Infuse with one point in Infuse.

Alistar and Taric are obvious, no need for anything extensive on those.

Anniie

10-21-2011

They're good if you don't build them as supports. Everyone's getting tons of farm so you can go hog wild with items. Max Q / E on Soraka, etc. Healing is really poor on dominion, so I think a primary healer like Sona will have a harder time fitting in.

Rafein

10-21-2011

Yeah, but you cannot sit back, you still need to get into the action.

I've seen very successful Zilean, Sona, Janna. Even saw an amazing Taric played Paladin style. Cleaver and his W, to lower an enemies armor to 0 right before a wild Talon appears and kills said enemy.

Argodis

10-21-2011

They're all viable.

Problem is most people usually send the support bottom to solo. Bad idea. Supports are at their best when they are....supporting.

Elealar

10-21-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anniie View Post
They're good if you don't build them as supports. Everyone's getting tons of farm so you can go hog wild with items. Max Q / E on Soraka, etc. Healing is really poor on dominion, so I think a primary healer like Sona will have a harder time fitting in.
The W gives you 125 Armor. You max it second, healing nerf or not. Not to mention over a long while the armor still gives you obscene amounts of survivability. But 125 armor is...free 3 Chain Vests. That's like over 2k worth of stats for one W on a 12 sec CD. It's worth about infinitely more than the extra damage from E.

frumper

10-21-2011

Agree that building support with a support build from SR does not seem to work. I've seen some somewhat successful supports (not certain another carry or tank would not have been a better choice) and one or two Janna's that actually carried the carries.

Elealar

10-21-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by frumper View Post
Agree that building support with a support build from SR does not seem to work. I've seen some somewhat successful supports (not certain another carry or tank would not have been a better choice) and one or two Janna's that actually carried the carries.
Pretty hard to build a support build on a map without Wards :P

Demonicous

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-21-2011

Janna is the best Support so far in Dominion... mevement speed buff is soo good.

I have seen Sona players do extreemely well

Zilean if has a good player has the potential to keep gameplay overwhelmingly tipped against the other team

I have not seen a lot of good Sorakas / Karmas in Dominion... it doesnt mean its impossible.

Also Remember you final SCORE in Dominion will be always the lowest because supporting your team never and assists never properly reflect the true benefit you had in game.

I had a Karma follow me as Yorick and we successfully took Windmill 2 v 4 at the start of the game while 3 people swarmed bottom of the map.... our team won 480 to 0 and Karma was at the bottom of the points scored list... I could have never done what i did at windmill without Karma supporting me. Granted that after every fight my Health was less than 100 and I had to Back every time.

wekele0

10-22-2011

Thanks for the advice guys I first tried AP Sona and did quite well, 2nd on team, than tried AD Sona, where I got third, but man, she was awesome. Props to Elealar for his build. It really helped. Again, thanks guys

KommunistKevin

10-22-2011

Played 300 games of dominion

There is no reason to take a support over another tanky dps/assassin/super defender

Supports can do well against bad teams