[GUIDE] Solo Top Windamere

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

AIM7Sparrow

10-19-2011

Welcome to my solo top Trynd guide. I'll get right to it.

Table of Contents

• Why Trynd Top? Why Not Jungle?
  • Pregame
  • Skill Build
  • Item Build
  • Laning Phase
  • Mid Game
  • Late Game
  • Notable Match-ups
  • Advanced Tips and Tricks

Why Trynd? Why Not Jungle?

I believe Trynd makes a great candidate for solo top because of several defining characteristics that are, as a whole, unique to him. Firstly, Trynd enjoys great sustain via his Bloodlust (Q) spell. As a comparison, look at Soraka's Astral Blessing heal next to Trynd's heal (with max Fury).

Astral Blessing: 70/140/210/280/340 ~ 20s CD
Bloodlust : 75/140/205/270/335 ~ 12s CD

Yes, admittedly this is with a max Fury meter, however, I believe that in the majority of match-ups, Trynd is capable of maintaining high amounts of fury during the laning phase to enjoy this high sustain. What this high sustain goes on to create is a dominating lane advantage against your opponent. This is the primary reason why I believe Trynd is a great solo top. Most other solo tops just can't compete with the amount of sustain Trynd has.

The second ability that makes Trynd a strong top solo is his resistance to being ganked. His Spinning Slash (E) spell is a great way to immediately put some distance between you and your opposing lanemate and/or jungler. At level 6 you receive Undying Rage (R), which gives you even more time to make it back to the safety of your tower, in addition to stalling for your E cooldown to get back up. And finally, on top of all this, Trynd is able to handily reduce enemy attack damage by 20 with just one point in Mocking Shout (W), which definitely adds up quickly, especially considering that most solo top characters and junglers are not only physical damage dealers, but have spells that scale with AD as well, (Irelia, Renekton, Olaf, Gangplank, Garen, Lee Sin, Warwick, Xin Zhao, Jarvan, Jax, Master Yi, etc. etc.) Trynd's resistance to ganking combined with his lane dominance puts the enemy jungler and solo top in a very challenging situation. The enemy jungler is forced to try and help their solo top, but at the same time, doing so gives your team dragon control. Combined with the fact that Trynd is extremely gank-resistant just goes to further push your advantage because the enemy could potentially waste time and dragon control over failed gank attempts.

The last reason why Trynd makes an excellent solo top is because he is able to carry the game (solo queue) very, very well. With Trynd in a solo lane, not only do you get the level advantage, but also you have the opportunity to farm large amounts of minions, thanks to most of the action being focused around mid and bottom lane (due to the importance of maintaining dragon control.) With this farm you will literally be able to 3 shot ranged AD carries after completely your core item build come mid/late game.

These three reasons combine to give Trynd a very unique solo top advantage and are why I believe Trynd is a great hero to put in the top lane. As for jungling with Tryndamere, it is definitely viable and can be done very well. I'm not going to say which is better or compare the two. However, I can say that Trynd definitely enjoys less farm in the jungle than in the top lane and thus is limited in the items he can buy and ability to deal damage in fights. It's a matter of preference, but if you're interested in solo top Trynd, keep reading.

Pregame

Summoner Spells
Personally, I prefer ghost and exhaust. Some people might be stalwart flash users but I don't think Trynd needs it given his resistance to being ganked as described above. Ghost generally proves overall more useful for a character like Trynd in team fights. You'll be subjected to repeated crowd control and kiting abilities, as well as have characters flash (and double flash with their innate escapes) away from you often. Ghost allows you to keep up your pursuit of enemy players for much longer, even after being chain cc'd in certain situations. It's also much more useful for a prolonged tower dive which synergizes nicely with your ult. Exhaust also helps to keep enemies in your range. It works well with W to provide a chain double slow and, again, syergizes well with tower dives. It is also crucial to letting you 1v1 or escape from enemies while your ultimate is on cooldown.

Masteries
21/0/9 shouldn't come as a huge shock. Leave the Brute Force (flat damage) mastery at lv 1 and don't get any points into the Offensive Mastery (minion damage) or Burning Embers (improved ignite) masteries. Max out the rest. With the 9th point in utility I prefer the increased jungle buff duration for those lizard buffs. I also get reduced death timer in tier 1 of utility because Trynd is rather prone to dying in team fights.

Runes
Quints: Armor Penetration
Marks: Armor Penetration
Seals: Flat Armor
Glyphs: Flat Magic Resist and/or Scaling Magic Resist

My runes may come as a bit of a surprise to people. Most people immediately look towards getting crit damage or crit chance runes on Trynd, but I think my set-up is the most effective. As of the current patch, Trynd doesn't receive crit damage from bloodlust so setting up crit damage runes to further increase this effect is detrimental in my opinion. Also he doesn't gain crit chance from low HP anyways, so again, it hurts your early game especially speccing crit damage runes. As for crit chance, with my core item build, I reach 92% crit chance at max fury. This is more than enough and the preferred armor pen here will definitely provide you with more end game damage. I like to take MR and Armor for glyphs and seals to help with the early game laning. Until you level up bloodlust you're a bit prone to harass so the extra beef will help you last long enough to reach the dominant part of your laning phase. I very strongly believe that a strong early game will lead to a strong late game, especially with a character like Trynd who can snowball incredibly hard and become a super-carry.

Skill Build
Bloodlust (Q)
Spinning Slash (E)
Bloodlust (Q)
Mocking Shout (W)
Bloodlust
Endless Rage (R)
Bloodlust
Spinning Slash
Bloodlust
Spinning Slash
Endless Rage
Spinning Slash
Spinning Slash
Mocking Shout
Mocking Shout
Endless Rage
Mocking Shot
Mocking Shot

Maxing Q first is essential to keeping yourself healthy in lane. It also provides you with a high amount of attack as your health drops. E is taken at level 2 for protection against ganks. It is maxed second for the increased damage and reduced cooldown time. W is maxed last because one point is really all you need for the slow. The increased damage reduction really doesn't matter since Trynd dominates his lane so hard anyways and the slow % only increases by 7.5% a level. Reduced cooldown and higher damage on E and much more useful and I speak from experience after having tried maxing W over E in several games. Take one point of W at level 4 to mitigate enemy harass, have the utility of the slow, and further safeguard against ganks.

Item Build

CORE
Cloth Armor + 5 HP pots
Wriggle's Lantern
Berserker Grieves
Zeal -> Phantom Dancer
Infinity Edge

Extras*:

Black Cleaver
Stark's Fervor
Quicksilver Sash
Bloodthirster

*Get a last whisper after completing your core build only if the guy with the armor is carrying. For instance, 3-1-5 solo top Cho'Gath has a Randuins and Frozen Heart. Yes he's a tank, but he's also the guy kicking ass and destroying your team. When people say "don't focus the tank," what they really mean is "don't focus the guy that deals no damage." A farmed/fed tank who is carrying (like Cho, Singed, and Renekton) needs to be focused and that's when you would have to get the best armor pen item in the game. Otherwise, your main targets will be the squishies so last whisper is wasted money. Getting the flat reduction of cleaver and stark's would work much better in conjunction with your base 31 flat armor pen.

The cloth armor and 5 hp pot starts let Trynd get through the tough beginning stage of laning in which his Q doesn't heal him for much. The armor is also great against the majority of solo tops and junglers who deal physical damage. I've grown to be especially fond of Wriggle's Lantern no matter what the match-up or enemy team comp. It is in amazing item and provides so much for just one item slot. The first and foremost reason for getting it is the lifesteal it provides. Wriggle's in conjunction with your Q provides huge amounts of sustain and you are likely unable to be pushed out of your lane at this point without the enemy solo top receiving help. It also provides increased armor, a constant ward for your lane, and the ability to quickly kill creeps and jungle creeps should the need arise, (which it will as we later discuss counter-jungling.)

I like getting berserker grieves next. It lets you be a bit more aggressive in lane thanks to the increased DPS you output as well as providing additional security from ganks thanks to its movement speed. If you can save up for boots 1 + zeal instead I recommend you do so because zeal outspeeds boots 2 and gives you 10% crit chance for a loss of just 5% attack speed. I will sometimes get merc treads if the enemy team's CC is just off the charts but I almost always go with the grieves. It would take something like Irelia, Alistar, Ashe, Fiddlesticks, Kennen for me to go merc treads.

Finish the Phantom Dancer next. The reason I like PD instead of IE next is because Trynd's new fury system benefits from straight hits now in addition to kills and crits. Phantom Dancer provides a huge burst of attack speed and crit chance and is much cheaper than IE. It will allow you to easily build up your fury meter much faster than rushing the IE would. Your DPS is also actually higher with Wriggle's + PD compared to Wriggle's + IE. Lastly, the increased crit chance refreshes your E more quickly which aids in chasing and escaping.

Now comes the time for the IE. IE + PD is an amazing combination. These two, along with Wriggle's and grieves are my "core" item build. You'll be sitting at 92% crit chance with just this core set when your fury meter is maxed and will be criting for over 500 damage, even up to 650+ depending on how low your HP is, allowing you to easily 3 hit squishy ranged AD's and supports.

As for the "extra" items, I generally go black cleaver next. If we have a strong auto attacking jungler, like Nocturne or Xin Zhao then I would get the stark's first since its auras would be really useful to at least 3 people on our team. Cleaver is generally first though, not only does it give a good chunk of damage and attack speed, but also its passive armor shred is just awesome for letting you chop away at tanks and keeping carries and supports within a 3-4 hit kill. Get a quicksilver sash anytime you feel like you absolutely need it. Generally, if I'm getting merc treads, I'll get the QSS too, usually after IE. If the game just drags on forever replace wriggle's with bloodthirster for all around better damage and lifesteal.

Laning Phase

In my opinion, the most important phase of the game. A game can literally be decided in these first 10-15 minutes. You want to focus solely on last hitting for at least the first 4 or 5 levels. Don't try to harass unless in certain special situations which I will cover later. Remember, your success and sustain during these early levels hinges on your ability to last hit. Building 5 fury from basic hits is a backup, always try to build the majority of your fury from last hitting which provides 10 fury a kill. Using bloodlust properly could actually be a complete guide on its own and I'm not even joking. This is what will separate pubstomp Trynd players from the true masters of the champion. Contrary to what most people might think, it is generally not in your best interest to build up a full fury meter before healing, especially against champs who can harass with small, repetitive damage (generally any auto-attackers). The reason for this is because by delaying your heals until full fury meters you keep the school on a "cooldown" for much longer. You aren't making use of the base heal of the spell. The base heal honestly isn't much, but it will definitely add up. Until you are looking to harass your opponent, if your HP isn't full than your fury meter shouldn't be either. As a general rule of thumb, whatever portion of your HP you're missing is the portion of fury you should be consuming with each bloodlust. So let's say you have 1/2 of your max health, then you should be using bloodlust at roughly 50 fury. 1/4 HP? Heal at ~25 fury. If it doesn't really make sense still why waiting for max fury isn't a good idea then try stretching it out to the extremes. At 1% HP you really have no lane presence right? So you'd probably be spamming Q everytime it's off cooldown as you cower behind your tower just for that base heal. Likewise at 100% there's no need to heal, so you'd hold onto the fury for the crit chance/future use.

Now, depending on who the opposing solo top is you can start looking to harass at around level 5. Your bloodlust will be at level 3 at this point and should be starting to provide you with some nice sustain. When you go in for harass try to have a full fury meter. This will grant you a higher crit chance. After about a few hits, E out back behind your minions and consume your fury. Heal, build fury meter up again, and repeat. Try not to close with E when you initiate for harass. This will leave you very vulnerable to a gank from the enemy jungler while your E is on cooldown. Always remember though that harass isn't even necessary to be a successful top solo Trynd, so don't risk it if the opposing top is a strong 1v1 champion (Nasus, Irelia) or someone who could potentially benefit from you exposing yourself in front of your minions (Morgana, Brand, Kennen). If you just out-farm your opponent you're already winning the lane.

Mid Game
Mid game is kind of an awkward time for Trynd. Even if you've done a great job CSing and dominating your lane, in most games you still won't be farmed enough to be ripping appropriately-sized chunks of flesh and bone off of people with each swipe of your sword. From my experience, when mid game rolls around your item build will usually be somewhere around lantern to PD. I think Trynd's talents at split-pushing are much better put to use at this stage of the game than straight up team-fighting and I try really hard to make sure the enemy doesn't group up and push mid by obnoxiously pushing top to force people to come pay attention to me. Set up a ward in the either the enemy golemn or lizard brush depending on blue/purple and push the inner tower hard. If a teamfight does happen to begin, (quickly) judge the situation before deciding what to do. Is the top tower almost gone? Is the teamfight happening far away from you? Can your team stall well or at least not get psuedo-aced 4v5? Is it still too early for them to Baron? If you're answering yes then you should probably keep pushing the lane. If you're answering no then go help out, using ghost to make it in time if you have to. Chances are most CC and summoned spells will have already been used and some characters might even be out of mana, giving you the potential for a safe clean-up job or the opportunity to turn the tables in a losing fight upon your arrival.

Late Game
Late game is where you truly shine. You will potentially be cutting people into thirds and feeding them to the rest of your team. The playstyle here could vary. If the enemy is low on CC I generally don't give a **** and just charge the enemy team like a boss. I will force them to waste the little CC I have on me to keep my ranged AD carry safe from it. The key to winning late game is keeping your ranged AD alive. It really doesn't matter if you laned 200 CS and 5 kills. If your ranged AD gets gimped in a fight chances are you are going to lose. Thus, you should always try to make yourself appear like the most threatening and target possible. Don't let them know your Caitlyn can 5 shot people. Charge in there with a cute spin2win and swipe half of their support Alistar's HP in one blow and people will flip a ***** thinking that you are 2012 incarnate and throw the world itself on top of your head in an effort to keep you rooted as Cait inconspicuously shears down their team from a distance. Also I just like to take the lead because tanks are too pansy these days.
Now if the enemy is rather high on CC I will let my tank take the lead possibly bide my time waiting for an opening. When you see the most threatening CC move get thrown (Alistar's Q or Kennen's Ult for example) then that would usually be a good time to dive into the fray and pursue your target(s) of choice. Remember though, keeping your ranged carry is still priority #1. If you don't feel comfortable going into the fray then stay next to your carry, maybe chipping away at the tank or enemy jungler who comes after them. A good strategy also is to run the opposite away from your carry and position yourself behind the enemies chasing him and apply W for a slow. At this point the enemy will usually switch to you out of frustration, lack of discipline, or force and waste their CC on you, freeing up your carry for clean-up duty.
The last thing I want to cover about the late game is to always be pushing. If you just escaped from a team fight after ulting and barely surviving with 100 HP, don't go back to base! Instead, immediately look for some minions and/or a nearby jungle camp and start farming and building your HP up again. With lantern and bloodlust you will be back to full health so insanely quickly. This almost acts as a second life and you can go back and help your team if the fight is still raging on. You have to be more careful this time since your ult is off cooldown but you now have the option to chase down that 20% Annie or something and get another kill, opening up easy Baron's/Dragon's and tower pushes. Same thing if your team lost the team fight and is now retreating. Don't go back to base right away. Instead quickly run to one of the free lanes and start pushing it. Keep the pressure on the enemy! If they are weak then they will probably have to recall first before being able to come after you since chances are you will be at full HP already. If not then you can also see on your minimap if/when they start pushing you as a team and you can recall back to base and help defend with your allies when they spawn.

Notable Match-ups
COMING SOON

Advanced Tips and Tricks (yes Trynd has some)
1. AFK farm 300 CS.
2. Right click someone.
3. ???
4. +12 Elo
jk, ALSO COMING SOON.

Conclusion
Thanks for reading. I will be happy to answer any questions. Also my Elo is low as **** right now because I can't stay motivated enough to play as hard and well as I am capable of. Maybe after the Elo reset stabilizes a bit. Earlier though I did make front page with ~1840 Elo around 3rd or 4th week of preseason 2 playing nothing but Trynd top so a) trust my guide es #1, b) believe me when I say solo top Trynd is amazing. (People WILL start QQing about solo top Trynd's huge sustain soon, mark my words.)

UtTlFl

10-19-2011

:/ why lantern? A lot of gold for what you get esp considering how expensive his build tends to be.

AIM7Sparrow

10-19-2011

well wow, I put in a ton of effort on this guide but it appears the community has been too brainwashed by "2k Trynd mains" to even look at anything else. kind of sad really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtTlFl View Post
:/ why lantern? A lot of gold for what you get esp considering how expensive his build tends to be.
lantern is an all-in-one item. provides great lifesteal, damage, and armor all into one item slot for a relatively low price. lantern is what allows trynd to have his amazing top domination and it works very nicely later in the game when you want to do a quicker dragon/baron with your jungler/team. It also lets you jungle and counterjungle fast, especially useful for stealing the enemy blue/red buff if you keep tabs on it and go to it as soon as it spawns.

fishsticks06

10-19-2011

dude its a good guide

Bumhunt

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-19-2011

I see people getting rageblade what do you think about that?

AIM7Sparrow

10-19-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBUMHUNTYOU View Post
I see people getting rageblade what do you think about that?
I've never even considered it tbh. There are better items. Trynd has no problem with his sustain so the AP for the heal really shouldn't matter. Thus, you are left overpaying for those DPS stats.

GingerBROWN

10-19-2011

your not doing it right

AIM7Sparrow

10-19-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerBROWN View Post
your not doing it right
nou

chesslover2000

10-19-2011

Hey Sniperness, we played before. You were ranked like 1760 or something. Anyways, I play a lot of Tryndamere and I agree completely with everything you say and most people just do not understand. But once the secret is out, I won't be able to pick Trynd in draft mode.

Linkness

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-19-2011

+1 great guide but Mind if u elaborate on wriggle I personally not a fan of that item I think its expensive and not worth for the price and plus woth the crot he can last hit easily anf have u consider ghostblade? What r ur thoughts on that?