How do you jungle udyr?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Aemon Darkstar

10-20-2011

Correcting all the deluded people:

FASTEST Path (this is also THE fastest jungle path amongst all champions, excluding perhaps an absurdly lucky jungle Yi):
Full AS Page (Reds, Yellows, Blues, Quints)
21/0/9
R/W/R/(whatever)
Wolves->Blue->Wraiths->Red->Golems
And yes, this is THE fastest path there is, with a clear time of ~3:10 or so. Check stonewall008's vid as well if you doubt me.

For more reasonable paths:

Phoenix Udyr: AS reds, Armor OR Dodge yellows (Armor better for jungle, Dodge better scaling), choice Blues, choice Quints (ArP, Movespeed, AS, flat Health, all work).
1/13/16 is a common mastery set, but you can go pretty much anything and make it work, though your times will vary according to how defensive/offensive your masteries are.
You can start either Cloth+5 pots for the standard full clear route, or Regrowth pendant for sustained route. R/W/R is how you go about it, basically.

Tiger Udyr: AD reds, AD quints (these are essential for maintaining competitive clear times), Armor/Dodge yellow, choice Blue.
21/0/9 is IMO very necessary on Tiger jungle. 1/13/16 is too slow with Tiger's single target damage (vs Phoenix's AOE that clears camps faster).
Cloth+5 pots for full jungle clear starting Blue, or Longsword + Pot start at wolves if you're feeling unsafe starting Blue (i.e. they have stealthers/roamers/your team is not protecting).

For those going R/Q/R, you're sacrificing sustainability for a faster clear. If you intend to hoard blue for the next few levels, I suppose it could work. Not to mention, you will need to buy pots even after your first clear. Thirdly, you can't pull off a tower dive on your first gank safely without Turtle (and don't say the opponent won't reach the tower. Not all players are morons). Starting taking W from lv 2 and taking another point in it a bit later allows you to give Blue to your AP carry who can use it better than you can.

Killzerz

10-20-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aemon Darkstar View Post
For those going R/Q/R, you're sacrificing sustainability for a faster clear. If you intend to hoard blue for the next few levels, I suppose it could work. Not to mention, you will need to buy pots even after your first clear. Thirdly, you can't pull off a tower dive on your first gank safely without Turtle (and don't say the opponent won't reach the tower. Not all players are morons). Starting taking W from lv 2 and taking another point in it a bit later allows you to give Blue to your AP carry who can use it better than you can.
Here to clear up common misconceptions about misconceptions. We need to go deeper! *Ahem* Anyway, you are not sacrificing sustainability for a faster clear. You actually end RQRE route with higher health than if you went turtle because you crush creeps before they hurt you. Second, all you really need to do to clear camps is RQ later, and you don't use that much mana. I typically take the first blue at 1:54, and I give the second to my mid (I run Sheen, so mana isn't a super big hindrance). I buy one or two pots after my first clear as well as boots, and I *might* use them. 3rd, you can pull of a tower dive. You basically EQ them and hope your lanemate finishes them. Seriously, 60 health from the shield of Turtle helps you absorb 1/2 a tower hit, so no, your towerdiving capability is not greatly compromised. And remember, I think you should only take 1 point in Q at 2 and then leave it until you max Pheonix at 9 and Turtle right after. THEN you max Q. So there really isn't a huge health difference. So hopefully I helped logically clear up misconceptions. If you would like to debate, respond logically and not, "THT AIN'T WUT I DOES! U B WRONG!" -.- Oh, the person above me is actually logical, this isn't a dig at him. Just my counterpoints! (I will +1 him!) Cheers and hope this helps!

XTreeX

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-20-2011

^ thanks for these two above posts
although tiger/bird may yield better ganks pheonix yields a faster jungle so i belive i will go that route.

Aemon Darkstar

10-20-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killzerz View Post
Here to clear up common misconceptions about misconceptions. We need to go deeper! *Ahem* Anyway, you are not sacrificing sustainability for a faster clear. You actually end RQRE route with higher health than if you went turtle because you crush creeps before they hurt you. Second, all you really need to do to clear camps is RQ later, and you don't use that much mana. I typically take the first blue at 1:54, and I give the second to my mid (I run Sheen, so mana isn't a super big hindrance). I buy one or two pots after my first clear as well as boots, and I *might* use them. 3rd, you can pull of a tower dive. You basically EQ them and hope your lanemate finishes them. Seriously, 60 health from the shield of Turtle helps you absorb 1/2 a tower hit, so no, your towerdiving capability is not greatly compromised. And remember, I think you should only take 1 point in Q at 2 and then leave it until you max Pheonix at 9 and Turtle right after. THEN you max Q. So there really isn't a huge health difference. So hopefully I helped logically clear up misconceptions. If you would like to debate, respond logically and not, "THT AIN'T WUT I DOES! U B WRONG!" -.- Oh, the person above me is actually logical, this isn't a dig at him. Just my counterpoints! (I will +1 him!) Cheers and hope this helps!
If you're specifically rushing Sheen every game, then you can make a case for R/Q/R, as you have the extra mana. However, I personally would STILL take Turtle asap simply for the amazing dueling power it gives vs one (or hell, even 2) opponent(s), allowing me to counter jungle with a lot more safety, or recover by defensive jungling using Turtle if I myself get counter jungled.

Killzerz

10-20-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aemon Darkstar View Post
If you're specifically rushing Sheen every game, then you can make a case for R/Q/R, as you have the extra mana. However, I personally would STILL take Turtle asap simply for the amazing dueling power it gives vs one (or hell, even 2) opponent(s), allowing me to counter jungle with a lot more safety, or recover by defensive jungling using Turtle if I myself get counter jungled.
Even without, I used to go Wriggles then found my damage output was amplified by Sheen more than Wriggles as well as having a build path. By the way, Pheonix/Tiger is a way better dueler as your damage output greatly amplifies to incredible levels, and Turtle just makes it so you get a shield and low lifesteal. Again, I level Turtle before maxing Tiger, so at most you will have a shield that is 60 if I don't haven't taken Turtle yet, otherwise I trail you by only a 40 health shield. Pheonix/Tiger is the better dueler with this math. As far as counter jungle, you have away faster clear time with Pheonix/Tiger, and again your shield isn't that much stronger than mine. Also, at level 6 I do start taking Turtle, making it easy to do defensive jungling. Again, +1 for good points I am happy to debate on!

Siestasam

10-20-2011

Why don't I see people getting wriggles on phoenix udyr? They all seem to go straight into wit's end and use the cloth armor for Aegis or Tabi or sell it. Wouldn't wriggles be good since you focus on attack speed so more procs?

Killzerz

10-20-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siestasam View Post
Why don't I see people getting wriggles on phoenix udyr? They all seem to go straight into wit's end and use the cloth armor for Aegis or Tabi or sell it. Wouldn't wriggles be good since you focus on attack speed so more procs?
Basically he synergizes better with other items and he does not need the sustainability from Wriggles. You can literally take dragon solo pre-10 with boots and a single decent item, no Wriggles required. Tell me, in a champion duel, which is better Wriggles or Wit's End? It might be better at taking Baron, but generally you don't have problems with that since with, say Sheen, you already have a high damage output and high tankiness. Wriggles is a very good item, there are just better ones on Udyr. No 7th slot for our friend Wriggles.

killerb0y

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-20-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siestasam View Post
Wriggle's is a good item to provide:
1. Speed in clearing the jungle
2. Sustain with lifesteal
3. Armor and damage -> subsection of 1 & 2.

Phoenix Udyr relies on the phoenix AOE proc to kill jungle creeps. Even without the recurve bow (+40% attack speed item, I think that's the right name) phoenix Udyr clears the jungle real fast, so speed isn't an issue for Udyr. He also doesn't need sustain, because of turtle. Thus you don't need Wriggles, and buying one will just set you back 1600-300=1300 gold (cost of full Wriggles - cloth armor).

Killzerz

10-20-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by killerb0y View Post
Wriggle's is a good item to provide:
1. Speed in clearing the jungle
2. Sustain with lifesteal
3. Armor and damage -> subsection of 1 & 2.

Phoenix Udyr relies on the phoenix AOE proc to kill jungle creeps. Even without the recurve bow (+40% attack speed item, I think that's the right name) phoenix Udyr clears the jungle real fast, so speed isn't an issue for Udyr. He also doesn't need sustain, because of turtle. Thus you don't need Wriggles, and buying one will just set you back 1600-300=1300 gold (cost of full Wriggles - cloth armor).
Agreed. And then you can spend that extra 1300 on damage or armor/mr.

XTreeX

10-21-2011

so should i build sheen, phage then wits end?
im levelling R>W>R>E>R right now