Jax, am i playing him wrong?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

CrossBlades

01-05-2011

I dont know why but i keep losing with jax im pretty good with him and hes really fun but cant win much. I max out his abilities in this order R,E,Q,W and my build is:
Ninja Tabi( ofc)
Guinsoo's Rageblade
Hextech Gunblade
Maldreds Bloodrazor or another Gunblade ( depends on other team)
Sword of the Divine or Last Wisper

Please give me some tips and/or build ideas. ty

Lucidlore

01-05-2011

Jax in general is a pretty subpar hero. He can work, but usually more than not he fails. That said, if you want to use him, you should max his skills in order of r>q>w>e. Get 1 point in e and max it last. Also, if the team has lots of disables, you should ignore ninjas tabi and get mercury instead. The extra dodge isnt worth it if you get kited all over the battlefield.

Early game, the combo of w+q actually does decent damage and helps to harass the enemy. The cooldown also decreases with levels. Lower cooldown on Q makes it more likely that it will be available to leap out of harms way onto an ally hero/creep.

You must rush gunblade first. Jax is only powerful if he can keep a hero in melee range for him to build up charges on his ultimate. Without the snare on the gunblade, you are dependant on a counterstrike proc to keep a hero in melee range, and even then this lasts only 1 second. Gunblade keeps a hero around for 3 seconds, and then you can still counterstrike after the stun wears off to keep him around for longer.

In general, melee auto attack heros are underpowered in the metagame right now. To many disables make things difficult for melee autoatackers like jax and yi. The problem is compounded by the fact that he lacks a reliable hard disable/stun that can be used on demand. Even when counterstrike procs, it only lasts 1 second.

Quarkd

01-05-2011

Building Jax as a light tank (all/mostly tank stuff after Rageblade) is actually a good idea. Since you need to get off a bunch of attacks to charge your passive AS, building him as a tank not only keeps focus fire off you but gives you the survivability to stay in range and get some hits in.

As for builds, adapt to the other team, but besides Rageblade and Merc/Tabi, Banshees, Randuins, GA are how I would build him.

OP, you were talking about fives, right? What's said in this thread mainly applies to fives but can also apply to threes depending on team comp.

Dark Sativa

01-05-2011

#1. Jax is better in threes. It's almost the only time he'll even be viable more than 3% of the time. He's a 1v1 champ, and he will crumple under any kind of CC or focus fire.

#2. Only play him when you're up against autoattackers, or squishies lacking a stun/ slow. He is very, very, very easily countered. Stun, nuke, dead. Casters don't care what your dodge chance is.

#3. If you love playing him, get over it :P Because most team comps will counter you pretty easily, and I agree Jax is pretty cool. Monk with a stick ftw. But being cool doesn't make him good.

hydrogencar

01-05-2011

For beginners I always recommend Rylais + Guinsoos. In this order.
Rylais early is amazing. For chasing, for the HUGE amount of survivability (passive AND 500 hp). It really helps a lot. Your Q is gonna hit hard, harass with it, in combination with W once in a while.

Then get Guinsoos. Go melt face.
When you are done melting face, get Hextech, go melt more face. Then get Banshees.

ASYLUM101

01-05-2011

Tank Jax is actually pretty crazy. I was messing around with it once and managed to get him over 4500 HP (around 5000+ with fortitude elixir and rageblade). Throw in an atmas impaler, some nice HP/armor/MR stacks, and you have a really tough dpser.

I dunno how well it works against REAL players, iirc it was expensive, but it was hilarious imo cause it's not something you expect.

BackDoorer

01-05-2011

what usually gets me the game is ...
1. start with d shield
2. build bilgewater cutlass (for the slow so you get potential kills)
3. boots 1 or upgrade if you're doing ok or happen to have enough gold for it on the way back
4. finish gunblade (more slow and a free nuke! 300 dmg is very underestimated early game)
5. guinsoo's rageblade, games usually end around here ... usually

if the game hasnt ended yet, get more gunblades... yes... i'm serious, it gives you awesome stats, with 60 dmg and 75 ap, thats 180 + 150 = 330 hp right there, not to mention the double leech it gives you. Another thing, when building your second gunblade, remember you can use the active from the gunblade AND the bilgewater cutlass at the same time for a double nuke and slow, greatly increasing your burst and length of the slow.
another good item after your rageblade is atma's impaler, since it stacks diminishingly with your passive

edit: consider getting banshees after rageblade if they got CC galore

Shosuko

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-05-2011

I've had some success with jax. Mostly in 3v3, but also in 5v5.

I buy lvl 1 boots and 3 health pots to start, then rush bilgewater cutlass. That thing really sets jax up. Damage, life leach, slow, and more damage, can't beat that. After that, it's to rageblade. Pretty much what everyone else says. Finish up the hextech and continue to build.

For skills - I typically go with q for my first skill point, but max w first, with your lvl 4 point in e. Around here you should be able to grab ninja tabi, which ramp up it's potential without putting any more points into it.

I max e first because it's cool down is significantly lower than q. Since they can be used together anyway, I see no reason to max out an ability with such a long cool down.

Jax big weakness is nukers... Grabbing banshees veil typically happens as team fights ramp up. Don't forget you can activate his ult for extra mr on the fly!! I've used this to turn what would be me dead, into a triple kill. Don't underestimate the potential. Yeah you give up your awesome ult... but you don't need more than a few hits to ko a squishy anyway...

Jax Strats - Remember with the new minion ai, they will switch targets to attack you if you attack a nearby champ. Use this to your advantage. It's REALLY easy to get a dodge with 3-6 minions added to the mix. When I'm pushing a lane, I'll almost always make sure the creep agro is on me, not on the other creeps, in case a hero shows up. With the stun already there, I can open up strong with qwe, which can turn 1v2 into win since the first guy won't count (for much) and the second guy will get you already charged with your ult and rage stacks, and possibly another stun.

Duck King

01-06-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shosuko View Post
I max e first because it's cool down is significantly lower than q. Since they can be used together anyway, I see no reason to max out an ability with such a long cool down.
Such as getting your distance closer and best scaling nuke on a low CD?

Dominoanty

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-06-2011

Try getting trinity force...it rocks somewhat...get guinsoos as fast as possible....if ur too squishy get some hp with warmogs/thornmail but give it the least importance as ur passive gives you health per ad and ap....As far as levelling up goes, take R>Q>W>E
First q,w,e,w,q,r,e till the first 7 levels then it is upto you...