A question of Banteric strategy. This is directed only towards Solo Queue familiars?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kabonk

01-04-2011

Amidst the numerous things I've come across - rarely and scarcely do I find a m****cript sent from the heavens instructing me how I can get those in Solo Queue to communicate in a productive manner for the whole team. Granted, this seems like an absurdly vague question so how are you to respond to this? Ah well, details. Whether good or bad it's about all my mind can scrap up at this point in time - so make of it what you can.

Your Queue pops. Ah yes, your already two ticks angry. The first, your lost your last match. The second, one of the idiots that was on your team is also on your team. Third, your even more ticked because you waited an entire five minutes to queue again and somehow through some ungodly devilish intervention, destiny has again tested you and your devotion to raising your ranking.

You calm yourself. You remind yourself that it doesn't really matter - it's not like he/she was the real cause of the lost. You decide that your going to keep your mouth shut. It would most certainly not benefit you if they began raging.

The Fifth pick types: So wuts every1 playin? You sigh and let escape some happiness, face-palm, and then let your head smash your keyboard - you've committed suicide. That's what you imagine yourself doing as if your reading a Manga of your own life to yourself. Rather, you write back: I'm waiting to see what the enemy picks first zZzZz....

And then your First pick speaks up: IM TAKING WHOEVER I FEEL LIKE PLAYING ****ERS. Congratulations. You've advanced to rage level two. Can of worms - Status (Open). You sigh and scratch your head, and before you notice it you've brought your other hand up and are suffocating yourself, and again, you've committed suicide. That's how you picture it. In reality you started scratching your hair, and before you knew it, you were pressuring your skull and pulling your hairs, all while screaming internally to yourself "WHY, WHY DO I GET THESE ******S, WHY CAN'T I GET ONE GOOD, DECENT, TEAM!"

You sigh again, your First pick took Katarina. Hey, it could have been Urgot right? The first two enemies pick Gragas and Amumu. Two thoughts come to mind. The first: Kat's useless. The second: There's no Synergy in that...maybe we'll be fine....

Your second pick. You feel being the second highest in the team, it's your job to carry the world *cough* team. Amumu and Gragas...you ponder for a moment, and then ask your team: Who's tanking? Who's jungling? You have twenty-three more seconds to pick a champion. No responses. Maybe they didn't see the clear white text and need it repeated: Is anyone Tanking??? Is anyone Jungling??? Eight seconds until the evil game matrix chooses a likely terrible champion for you. You sigh again, switch summoner spells to ghost/smite and select the Eye of Twilight, followed by clicking the Lock-In button.

Your third pick and "so-called" ally Locked-In the terror of black birds we rarely see (Fiddlesticks). You type: Uh...you jungling? You see they have smite as one of their abilities - you re-open your mastery page and redo everything. You finish in time to see your enemies lock a gun-slingin' lady, and her coincidental perfect sidekick, the possibly autistic/maybe an inner devil/innocent stingy thing, The Maven of Strings.

As for your Fourth and Fifth picks. You don't have much faith in the Fourth, after-all, you feel he did contribute to your loss last game. The Fifth you don't have faith in for any number of reasons, one of them being, they're the Fifth. Your ex-refreshed-through-queue teammate Locks-In a champion completely opposite on the like-o-spectrum: Mordekaiser. Well. You know he can be a beefy champion, you've seen Mordekaiser carry entire teams. Alas, don't kid yourself. Give it ten and with any luck he'll be 0-3 instead of 0-5, and you'll be ulting into Katarina as she dazzles the enemy with a string of fine and pure toxic daggers. No, that's probably your brain fantasizing about lush strategy that doesn't exist in solo queue. Does - not - ex (say it!!!)...ex....exist... Right. Strategy in solo queue doesn - but of course it does! You even call mia while doing nothing about it - that's strategy isn't it?

Anyways. Your Fifth locks Yi. Yi with Revive and Teleport. You start laughing. You realize that your whole team is trolling you. You start to laugh because you know they think they fooled you . Hahaha. How you've caught onto those malicious pranksters. You get up and swiftly hop/jog to the kitchen, pour yourself a screwdriver *cough* glass of orange juice and trot back up to your beloved chair. The game is now in the loading screen so you begin to eye the enemy teams summoner spells and their fifth. Gragas has xx....hmm flash on Amumu no surprise....harp girl with teleport/calrity...meh, minor annoyances but definitely to your Yi's advantage. No exhausts. Hmm...smite...who's your jungler? Fiddle's, right, your momentary heart race slows down as you ease yourself by looking at Fiddle's...WHY DOESN'T FIDDLE HAVE SMITE? HE HAD SMITE IN CHAMPION SELECT..WHY DOES- your interrupted mid-thought by: Welcome to Summoner's Rift! You type: Um..Fiddle, you jungling without Smite? However, Fiddle isn't responding or moving.

Fast Forward to: Minions have Spawned! Fiddle walks to top lane, and types in a confused manner: Shen, wut r u doin in my l4ne?

Uh.........................................(brain does this for approximately ten seconds): I asked if you were jungling and you did not respond although you had Smite as your summoner spell. I therefore changed my spells and masteries since you were obviously going to jungle.
Fiddle: wow dumb*** I changed my spells like forty seconds before the game started.
You: So you just didn't feel like typing it out?
Fiddle: if u had eyes u wuld c that i wasnt jugnling retrad (spelled like this, fyi).
You: Yes Fiddle, it's my fault, I'm so sorry. Your are the divine one. What would you like me to do?
Fiddle: Jungle imo. Shen doesn't need smite to jungle.
You:zZzZzZzZzZzZz *click* computer off. *Gets up and sits in front of TV*

That's how I'm beginning to feel. I've left two of my six hundred and something odd ranked games. Oh, criticize me, but faze me you won't. So here's the question. How, and this is to both those of you who as aforementioned A. Try really hard to pick the best hero for the team or B. Don't give a flying **** what your team needs, because they're going to suck so hard that if you have any small one percent chance of win you need to carry their sorry ***es. Yes. Yes I know that's what your thinking.

Usually, I don't type much except for "No, I'm not tanking" "Yes, I'll tank" "No, I'm not jungling" "If you need me to" "Sure, I don't mind", etc. At least I let my team know what role I will and will not fill. So, to all of you solo queuers, how do I get you to work with me? What words do I use?

Amusingly, when I periodically blow a gasket and rage in champion select and play whatever I want while continually calling everyone an incapable, dumb, POS, they try hard because they think "Oh **** I have to carry this guy". That's right, whenever I blow a gasket, my teammates seem to let their anger out, as if I'm absorbing it. However, I detest being strung out like that. It only happens after a huge losing streak and an incessant stream of morons I'd like to suffocate if I knew who they were.

zZzZzZz... I doubt half of you will even try to or can understand exactly what I'm asking for, but if you do/can/are grasping at least a slice of my problem (I'd appreciate the help!).

Gunflame

01-04-2011

If you rage you deserve to lose.

during the first 5 seconds of champions selection (DURING BANS) I type 2 things:
- Any bans or NON-bans that I want
- Do we have a jungler? do we have a tank?

If I get NO response whatsoever I just adapt to the team. If we get jungler good...if we don't whatever doesn't matter.

I can play Anivia, Rammus (jungle), Nunu (jungle), Chogath, Galio, Annie, Veigar, Swain, Evelynn (jungle), Tristana, Kayle, Kogmaw, Yi (AP), Soraka and Zilean. So I always have a choice one way or the other.

If I don't like the team composition I say "whatever I've won and got beaten by worst compositions" or if my ally doesn't tell me "I'm jungling", I don't count on him jungling. If you rage you deserve to lose. Just take it and start another game.

Gunflame

01-04-2011

Also sometimes I ask for mid:

- I wanna do anivia mid... or I wanna do Kayle mid.

If you get ZERO response NADA, NOTHING... just do whatever you feel like doing.

Kabonk

01-04-2011

Most helpful attempt Gunflame..seeing as no one else has bothered to post, but alas I feel you've totally not read most of my post, since I stated I rarely rage, and that when I do, I often win. Kudos for the response, no Kudos for an obvious pick and choose what I read and respond to that response. Uncool.

Gunflame

01-04-2011

"You as asking for doubt half of you will even try to or can understand exactly what I'm asking for, but if you do/can/are grasping at least a slice of my problem (I'd appreciate the help!)."

read the whole thing... my point is DO NOT WORRY TO MUCH ABOUT IT... take the loss and move on... just STOP WORRYING!!!.

On champ selection I keep saying: Do we have a jungler? do we have a tank? I repeat it over and over again, if they don't answer I don't worry and do as I please. If they DO answer I plan according to their responses.

I say "we need a range DPS, we need some CC. I'm tanking galio but we need some other beefy champ". You should get at least 1-2 people cooperating with you.

"So here's the question. How, and this is to both those of you who as aforementioned A. Try really hard to pick the best hero for the team or B. Don't give a flying **** what your team needs, because they're going to suck so hard that if you have any small one percent chance of win you need to carry their sorry ***es. Yes. Yes I know that's what your thinking. "

I pick the champion and strategy that I believe will give me the best result. Sometimes this means grabbing Kayle (which has my highest Win %), going to mid and saying "Sexy, 2 people in mid. Kisses to our sexy ashe"

Let our ashe rage or even 2v1 or whatever. Just do what's necessary to win. Just make sure you evaluate the situation to receive that outcome with grace.

One example of this happened to me the other day... we were losing for 40 mins and won during the last 16. why? we had no tanks. Kennen, Akali, Katarina, AD Sion, Swain. I picked Swain as 4th pick because I said I was gonna pick Swain, noone else decided to grab a tank and I didn't feel like grabbing one. We didn't grab a jungler either. We got stomped early but eventually I became farmed enough to tank 4 champions, and the rest of my team simply raped heir team.

Just take it easy and play. It is a game after all.

note: I ALWAYS PLAY TO WIN!

Tekhaze

01-04-2011

I don't care what my team or enemy picks, where they're from, or if they just plain suck...I play it where the almighty queue lands it. No rage. No rejoice. Just pure, unadulterated, gaming.

Rylar D

01-04-2011

Sometimes things just fall apart. Do what you can.

Fiddle saying nothing and just changing his spells isn't cool, but I guess now you know that's how some people are and that's one thing you can expect and react to accordingly.

The rest you can't do much about until you actually get into the game.

Kabonk

01-04-2011

It's as I expected. There really are no magic words for increased cooperation. It's a numbers game ^^

Stompinstine

01-04-2011

Hi all,
i am of the opinion that you should pick your best champ available. If you happen to be a amazeing tank your team is blessed. If you are a devistateing carry then you will lead your team to victory. If you are a master of support you will make others and yourself shine winning those battles where some would feel all is lost. Dont worrie so much about the other players and just hope they bring thier best to the table that is what wins games. Not how many tanks you have or junglers if you have one. I have seen the most unlikely teams win in this game. just know your team and thier tactics and play accordingly.

Bumbah

01-04-2011

Here's the magic words: You rocked our last game. Can i add u as a friend? Add him/her and then play premades only.

Non-magic words: no ingles

In other words: When solo queue-ing, your have no control (influence) over your teammates at the champ select screen...unless you happen to be paried with someone you've played with before and you both recognize it.

In my experiece (1300 normal games, 100 ranked) filling the gaps when solo-queueing only works 50% of the time. However, if you play your champ that you have the most success with you're doing everyone else on your team a favor by playing on familiarity...not necessity.

P.S. yes, it's a numbers game