So I just started playing lux

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

GrignardTS

03-30-2012

Figured I needed another poke mage in my arsenal. Most ones I've seen go the recommended items: RoA+Ludicity+____

I didn't think this was the best path for a top Lux, so this is what I've been trying:

mpen marks
ap/level seals
ap/level glyphs
MS quints

9-21-0

Start Ruby+Saph+Boots+Pots
Sorcerer's Shoes
Sheen
Kindlegem
Guise
Fiendish Codex
Lichbane
Morrello's

Its been working really well for me so far. Thoughts/how do you build her?

I'm torn between 21-0-9 and 9-21-0.

Degnared

03-30-2012

Lux may be the only champion that I build full glass on. My reasoning is that her scaling isn't that great (decent ratios, but high cooldowns), so she needs a lot of AP to be effective, and if you play her right, you should get caught very rarely.

Core is Deathcap + Morello's. Get to max CDR with some combination of Lucidity boots, Morello's, and runes/masteries. No other source of CDR is worthwhile on her in my experience (except Hextech Sweeper, when the situation calls for it. Sweeper is amazing, but I don't like spending gold on HP on Lux).

Reaching 40% CDR is important on Lux, but not to the extent that you want to sacrifice damage. Your OMG 24 SECOND LAZER LOLOLOL is worthless if it only tickles.

I MIGHT get a lategame lichbane to improve my burst, but only if I think I can survive in autoattack range. You get a lot of damage by building glass, but don't throw it away by building Lichbane against a team with Jax, Lee Sin, and Maoki! I typically only take advantage of her passive early game or if my team has crazy CC or their team has few gap closers.

For runes, I like Flat AP quints, AP/Lvl blues, and AP/lvl seals. Dat glass. Masteries are 21/0/9. Again, dat glass.

Sadly, even though Lux is incredibly fun and quite effective early-mid game, she falls off HARD late game (though not to the point of uselessness if you have enough AP). I only pick Lux when I have a late game carry on my team that can take full advantage of my cc and shield. She's also a pretty good pick against a heavy AOE team: she has long enough range to escape taking damage from most AoE spells, and a well timed shield can be incredibly fight-changing. People bash her shield because it doesn't put out big numbers, but hitting 2-3 teammates consistently makes it one of the best shields in the game, even if it is very hard to use. It's MUCH better on Dominion than SR, because 4v4 fights are very common.

Lux is a master KS'er, but don't go TRYING to take sure kills from your allies. Chances are, they can make better use of the (admittedly small amount of) gold. Lux is very reliant on her team. I'm very happy with a score of 5/1/12 or something similar, though there will be occasions where you go 15/0/15. Lux is feast or famine, in my experience.

GrignardTS

03-30-2012

Death Cap is just so expensive though.

I feel my damage is fine with the ~50 mpen from Guise+Sorc.

I defiantly agree about building her more glass cannon, which is why I only spent gold on 2 Ruby Crystals and opted out of the RoA.

But 0 defense? What do against Kass/Shaco/Talon/Wu? Fog is everywhere and I defiantly feel you on the whole 'make up for defense with map awareness/positioning' thing, but having 1k HP mid game makes sideways stares kill you.

Mainly I built Lichbane cause I felt it synergize with her. I'll have to try Cap over it a few games.

After hearing your POV, I'll be defiantly running 21-0-9 from now on.

konfetarius

03-30-2012

Quote:
Reaching 40% CDR is important on Lux, but not to the extent that you want to sacrifice damage. Your OMG 24 SECOND LAZER LOLOLOL is worthless if it only tickles.
Lux CDR isn't just for OMG 24 SECOND LAZER LOLOLOL. It's to give her CC/Shield bearable cooldowns.

Infirc

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-30-2012

Also stacking Mpen Early to mid game in Dominion is a little more effective than stacking Ap, i personally love the guise in her

GrignardTS

03-30-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infirc View Post
Also stacking Mpen Early to mid game in Dominion is a little more effective than stacking Ap, i personally love the guise in her
I've started doing this on every mage I play.

It forces the opponents to build MR or face true damage for the rest of the game.

And building MR is not something the average dominion player is used too.

"But...Wukong doesn't do magic dmg..."

Stralucire

03-30-2012

I play directly opposite of you, actually: tanky support Lux. It still works favorably well, seeing how all of her important stuffs (CC, shield, near-global-lazer-poke) remains just as powerful. Point defense like a boss. Survives well into late game, too. Unless their team decides to focus everything on me, which sometimes happens.

I run 9/0/21, with mPen/Armor-level/MR-leve/Movespeed runes.

Boots1 + Kindlegem to start
ionian boots (unless I absolutely need mercs)
hextech sweeper
warden's/thornmail if I bought ionian boots; glacial shroud if mercs
aegis
abyssal Scepter
randuin's or frozen heart.

Hékate

03-30-2012

I generally go 21-0-9 since Lux can have some mana issues once you get that CDR up.

mpen reds, flat mana regen yellows, flat CDR blues, mpen quints

Build generally goes:
tome + pendant + boots to start
morello's
hextech
sorc boots
guise

after that, depending on the enemy team/builds i do abyssal (for mpen), deathcap (when my team is beef + cc), or rylai's (for survivability). lichbane is a great item on lux after that, but i pretty much never get that far in my build. CDR+CC along with the health from hextech/guise is usually enough survivability for me personally.

Hékate

03-30-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stralucire View Post
I play directly opposite of you, actually: tanky support Lux. It still works favorably well, seeing how all of her important stuffs (CC, shield, near-global-lazer-poke) remains just as powerful. Point defense like a boss. Survives well into late game, too. Unless their team decides to focus everything on me, which sometimes happens.

I run 9/0/21, with mPen/Armor-level/MR-leve/Movespeed runes.

Boots1 + Kindlegem to start
ionian boots (unless I absolutely need mercs)
hextech sweeper
warden's/thornmail if I bought ionian boots; glacial shroud if mercs
aegis
abyssal Scepter
randuin's or frozen heart.
Glad to hear this works! I've been toying with the idea of this in my head, sounds like fun. I'd like to include iron solari though for a second team shield.

GrignardTS

03-30-2012

Is it just that I have a soft spot for the lichbane?

I love that MS and it really does take chunks from champions mid game. If they're snared, there is no issue going in for 1 AA.

I feel it makes her better at 1v1.

I also think MS is such an important stat for her. Not only is it important to not be caught out of position, but moving faster to set up those skill shots is extremely helpful.