Has Katarina gotten nerfed?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Chronon10

06-13-2010

Just wondering. It seems like a few days ago everybody was talking about her being OP. So I bought her and decided to try her, but she isn't half as godly as everybody says. Did she get nerfed or is it that I'm just new?

Edit: Ok I'm trying to find a good way to play her

Helidead09

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-13-2010

She hasn't been nerfed recently. You probably just have to get adjusted to a new character. Try harassing really really hard since you have no mana abilities. Get bouncing blade first and spam it whenever its up.

Lil Will

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-13-2010

She used to be balanced, but then everyone complained that she was UP, but really, noone knew how to play her effectively. So then, Riot buffed her, and then nerfed her, and then nerfed her to what she is right now.

Kyuketsuki

Recruiter

06-14-2010

Katarina is an odd champion to effectively play her you must understand that her burst damage is all magical, but you are better trying to get attack damage over ability power to boost that damage. Get bouncing blade (lv 1,3,5,7,9) as often as possible but get 1 rank of each spell by level 5.

For runes make sure you avoid mana related runes and get magic penetration and cooldown reduction. Katarina tends to be squishy so learning whne to enter the team fight and when to use your ultimate is the hardest thing to learn and cannot be taught.

Amorphium

06-15-2010

i usually play ap kat, and here is what i do:
lvl1: bb
lvl 2 & 3 : Shunpo
lvl 4: Killer Instincts
lvl 5: Shunpo
always max ulti, shunpo& bb first, 1 leven of killer instincts is (usually) enough.
I was thinking about switching shunpo and bb leveling (ie max bb first), but ap kats get more (singletarget) dmg with shunpo. The reason i like ap more than ad is that rylais + death lotus slows the enemies + you can shunpo them when they run out of dl range to slow them again.
Item order is usually as follows:
doran's shield +hp pots, basic boots + 2/3 hp pots if enemy mid is likely to be ashe
sorc/merc treads
rylais
zhonyas
Banshee or Lichbane (remember that bb profits from ad: shunpo and immediately after use bb - at that point you have around 250 ap which get added to bb for real soviet damage)
survival items or abyssals etc

I think i am only mid-elo though, so this build might not work in higher ups.

what i do is shunpo a target, run in front of them, bb, then ult, then shunpo again after ult. works quite nicely in sr mid lane as they usually run straight back towards their base.

even if my build/playstyle sucks, there is one thing all kat players should keep in mind: if you are low hp and killer instincts/cleanse is on cd, dont attempt to finish off low hp enemies standing at their tower. Many times my enemies were still standing after the tower killed me or i died after the kill while running out of tower range (there's not always a target nearby to shunpo to).

Chronon10

06-18-2010

Thanks for the tips guys! But how do I harass and farm effectively with BB and shunpo. It seems that when I do either, I always put myself in the enemies range, and they attack me.

Fleshgolem

06-18-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronon10 View Post
Thanks for the tips guys! But how do I harass and farm effectively with BB and shunpo. It seems that when I do either, I always put myself in the enemies range, and they attack me.
Kat is a very hit-n-run style champ, because she needs to jump in to do her damage, but is pretty frail.

What you have to keep in mind when laning is: If you do a quick W-E-Q Combo on your enemy and just back after that he will be able to hit you, but you will propably have done more damage (Keep in mind not do it, with too many enemy creeps around, they can hurt quite a lot).
This is of course a lot riskier in a sidelane with 2 enemies, so make sure your lanemate is on the same page or try to get mid. It may not seem like it, but Kat is actually a really strong mid character and can eat Ashes quite well, if you know what you're doing.

The same thing basically applies for farming. Don't stand between the creep waves all the time. Use BB and Shunpo to finish of dieing creeps, lasthit with autoattacks only when it's safe and stay out of range at other times

And no, apart from a minor range nerf to BB she hasn't been hit at all and is really powerful in her current state