A comprehensive guide to Katarina - The Sinister Blade

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

OrfinNoche

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

10-22-2010

awesome guide on how to play kat... I voted +1 for your guide..!!

Khaelus

11-01-2010

I'm new to this but... everyone seems to suggest kage's lucky pick for the gold...

but it costs 765 total to get.
it gives you 5 gold per 10 seconds - so that's an extra 5x6=30 gold per minute.

but it'll take you at least 765/30 = 25 minutes just to make up the gold you originally spent on it.

So... what's the point? why not go for a rylai's right away? is the extra 25 ap boost or so really worth it?

Fluffy1

11-02-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khaelus View Post
I'm new to this but... everyone seems to suggest kage's lucky pick for the gold...

but it costs 765 total to get.
it gives you 5 gold per 10 seconds - so that's an extra 5x6=30 gold per minute.

but it'll take you at least 765/30 = 25 minutes just to make up the gold you originally spent on it.

So... what's the point? why not go for a rylai's right away? is the extra 25 ap boost or so really worth it?
if your looking at guides on the forums i highly recomend looking at the posted date befoe even reading it. since posting kats had about 3-4 remakes, multiple buffs/nerfs and has shifted her balance a few times. items/runes have changed alot too. this guide is still usefull for the concepts buts its pretty out of date.

please check dates before nerco'ing threads.

NightRaith361

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-07-2011

i just played my first time kat and got 12/0/1 and i built

regrowth
kages lucky pick
tabi
rylais
gunblade

then the game ended i probably would have bought warmogs then deathfire

Saythin

01-09-2011

im a pro katarina player :3

Shunpo build is the way to go. and you want to get mid. the faster you get your ultimate. the faster you get kills ALWAYS start with boots and 2 pots. next you buy mehjai's and once you start gnaking you build up your stacks of ap

Glogg

01-29-2011

Can we get an update to this please? None of the guides for Kat are even semi-current :/

Malkav Cobalt

03-07-2011

Not current to updated items and Katarina champion. Please mark as outdated, thank you.

Do not take the advice shown here. Check www.mobafire.com for decent up to date Katarina builds and guides.

Ionic Breeze

03-09-2011

Yeah this is outdated, written in 2009

baronreaper

05-06-2011

Much of the above guide and build is based on 2009 gameplay for katarina. After the character adjustments the build has definitely changed so as to increase her damage as a assassin and ganker character. many posts suggest the Lichbane build up which really does not help this character as she does not need mana... why waste precious gold on something which we dont use... righT?
Hence i suggest the following build which has really helped me get very many kills in the small number of games:
1) Shoes and three health pots: great for lane-ing or going mid. allows u to save up till around 1200g + 650g for
2) hextech revolver: 20% spell vamp plus damage from AP ( 40 ap) for magic penetration or if u prefer boots of mobility(ganker)
3) giants belt: the health allows u to tower dive and shunpo on to low health heroz
4) complete rylia sceptre : extremely important with the view of health, ap and slowing enemies when u use ur ulti. hence stopping them from running away...
5) here its a bit confusing.. U can either complete ur hextech gunblade or rabadons deathcap
6) watever u did not buy in the 5th buy it now!
7) if the game gets to this point u can either buy 2 more gunblades to stack up the spellvamp.. or 2 rabadons.. Or u can buy a Zhonyas hourglass for the supersticky moment if and when u get stunned in a team fight(the 2 sec of no damage is a GIFT)

Ionic Breeze

05-08-2011

Can you activate Zhonya's when stunned?