[Champion Suggestion] Kagemon, the Shadow of Three

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

IMarius

10-12-2011

Introduction

Quote:
Name: Kagemon, the Shadow of the Storm
Role: Assassin, Melee

For a while now, I've been toying with the idea of making an element master, and then it came to me that the perfect way to do it would be to make him the arch-nemesis of the Kinkou. So I present to you Kagemon, the Shadow of the Storm.
Primary Inspiration:
Shadow, from Final Fantasy 6

Character Details
Quote:
Species: Human
Affiliation: Self

Background
Coming Soon
General Concept
Quote:
Kagemon is an element-based assassin designed for flexibility and mobility, changing between two elemental properties at will to give his other abilities varying effects.

He is made to get into a fight, attack multiple targets, and displace enemies with his crowd control.
Statistics
Quote:
HP: 425 (+85)
HP Regen: 7.25 (+0.65)
Energy: 200
Energy Regen: 50
Damage: 53 (+3.2)
Range: 125
Armor: 13.5 (+3.5)
Magic Resist: 30 (+1.25)
Attack Speed: 0.694 (+3.1%)
Movement Speed: 325
Abilities
Quote:
Vital Strike (innate passive)
Upon using an ability, Kagemon's next basic attack deals critical damage. If his target is below 15% health, his next basic attack deals 2x critical damage. These critical strikes do not affect towers.

Kagemon is very effective at finishing off low health enemies. Whether closing into a kill while stealthed, or attacking amidst using his Rising Shuriken, he can quickly burst down a target if he has high attack damage.
Quote:
Rising Shuriken
Kagemon throws a shuriken, the form of which is different for the element that is active.
Lightning: The shuriken bounces from enemy to enemy like chain lightning, dealing magic damage. The shuriken won't bounce to hit the same enemy more than once on the same cast.
Wind: Throws several shurikens in a cone in front of him, dealing magic damage and gaining spell vamp.
(Note: If no element is active, Kagemon will throw a shuriken, dealing magic damage to a single target only.)

Hotkey: Q
Range: 1050 (Lightning) or 400 (Wind)
Magic Damage: 80/140/200/260/320 (+0.8AP)
Enemies Hit (Lightning): 2/3/4/5/6
Spell Vamp: 15/20/25/30/35%
Cooldown: 7/6/5/4/3 seconds
Energy Cost: 65/60/55/50/45 energy

This is Kagemon's primary farming tool, and is his only non-ultimate damaging ability. Both forms of the shuriken are designed to be able to hit multiple targets.
Quote:
Elemental Insurgence
Toggle: Kagemon can channel the elements, giving his auto attacks and abilities unique effects depending on which element is active.
Lightning: auto attacks gain increased attack speed.
Wind: auto attacks gain lifesteal.
(Note: If no element is active, Kagemon's auto attacks gain no additional effects.)

Hotkey: W
Attack Speed Boost (Lightning): 10/15/20/25/30%
Lifesteal (Wind): 15/20/25/30/35%
Cooldown: 1 second
Energy Cost: None

This is Kagemon's core ability. Everything about him is defined by this ability, from his auto attacks, to the way his other abilities work. Switching up on the fly to get some quick lifesteal on a creep wave, or just some added attack speed makes it very complimentary to his variability.
Quote:
Shifting Shadows
After a 1.25 second delay, Kagemon will enter stealth for a time. His first auto attack or ability cast, other than Elemental Insurgence, will instantly end his stealth. Depending on which element is active, Shifting Shadows will have a different effect.
Lightning: The first auto attack or ability cast, other than Elemental Insurgence, will stun the target(s) for 1 second.
Wind: While stealthed, Kagemon's movement speed is increased.
(Note: If no element is active, Kagemon will gain no extra effect while stealthed or exiting stealth.)

Hotkey: E
Movement Speed Boost (Wind): 20/25/30/35/40%
Max Stealth Duration: 10/20/30/40/50 seconds
Cooldown: 11/10/9/8/7 seconds
Energy Cost: 80/75/70/65/60 energy

Kagemon is a very mobile champion. whether using the wind element to pursue or escape, or using lightning to initiate with a stun, Shifting Shadows is a stealth for all situations.
Quote:
Charge of Kasshamaru
Kagemon summons his spirit dog, Kasshamaru, to attack his enemy. Depending on which element is active, the charge will have a different effect.
Lightning: Upon impact with his target, he will stun it and all nearby enemy units for 2 seconds, dealing true damage.
Wind:Kasshamaru will take hold of his target, dealing true damage and knocking back it and surrounding units in the direction he is charging.

Hotkey: R
Range: 1700
Charge Range: 1000
True Damage: 300/400/500 (+1.5AP)
Stun Radius (Lightning): 400
Knockback Distance (Wind): 600/800/1000
Cooldown: 90/75/60 seconds
Energy Cost: 100 energy

Kagemon's ultimate functions with the same mechanic as Rumble's, except there is no duration. Kasshamaru charges, executes his effect and is then gone until the next time he is summoned. It's very useful for finishing off low health champions, or disrupting them.
Pros and Cons
Quote:
Pros
With his element shift, Kagemon is a very diverse champion. With a variety of cc at his command, as well as having an excellent farming ability, he is at home in any lane or the jungle. Knowing which element to have active at any particular moment will seperate the good Kagemon's from the great ones.

Cons
Kagemon isn't particularly tanky, and can down quickly if caught in enemy cc. Aside from his ultimate he only has one damage dealing ability. Also, his greatest strength can also be his greatest weakness. Again, knowing which element to have active at any particular moment can save his life.

IMarius

10-12-2011

bump.

Z The Slayer

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-13-2011

Gonna be honest, bro, there's a few things that are a little off about your champ, including some OP'ness, and some bad synergies.

For starters, his passive. It's an insta-Sheen, plus all of Pantheon's abilities put into one. ADD Sheen to it, and you have the most unstoppable caster in the game. Every single hit is a sheen+crit+bonus effect? Double all of that if the enemy is at 15% or less, and you could destroy any tank at 15% life.
His passive will need a rework, or nobody will even bother looking at the spells, they'll just see them as a means to use Sheen+Crit. (also, almost pure replica of Riven's passive)

But ignoring that for now....
Secondly, he sounds like a mage version of Udyr, but Udyr's abilities have limited use. You're asking for spell sets for every single type change. Transformation champs should avoid having more than 2 spellsets (like Nidalee), or they are at risk at becoming TOO adaptable, and too easy to win.

You COULD, on the other hand, limit him to two spellsets, and that would be fine. Like an inverse Nidalee (gets both sets early, and gets an actual spell at level 6).

Element Shuriken: Fire seems like it SHOULD be with Forces of Nature: lightning.

Shifting Shadows: Fire would remove stealth AS SOON as he dealt damage with his fire aura. Rule of stealth: It ALWAYS ends when dealing damage. That's why Sunfire Cape+Stealth=VERY BAD.

The combo of Forces of Nature and Shifting Shadows sounds a LOT like giving an AD TF stealth. Ranged stun, changeable attacks. You get the idea.

You're definitely going to want to increase the CD reduction on his Forces of Nature: Lightning. 1-3 seconds off CD never helped anybody. Hell, Kat's passive gave all of her CD's 30 seconds off for every champ ASSIST, plus 25 gold.
I'd drop it to be similar to Skarner's passive, .5 seconds for every auto attack made. 3 seconds removed if the target dies.

Oh, and this is kinda splitting hairs, but think about changing the name of Forces of Nature and Backstab.

Force of Nature is a magic resist/tank item, and I believe Backstab is an ability of Talon's.

I would suggest (after a passive rework) that Shifting Shadows: Fire should either make your next auto attack a crit, or give you bonus damage, since it would tie into Forces of Nature: Fire quite nicely.

Good luck on the champion, man.

IMarius

10-13-2011

Thanks for all the constructive criticism, that's all I ever ask for in a review. Everything here is subject to change, so let's begin, shall we?

1. His passive will be getting a major overhaul, I just don't know how yet. I want his passive to assist with his auto attacking somehow, since both of his damage dealing abilities scale with AP. So until I figure out what to do with it it'll stay the same.

2. I'm going to take your advice and limit him to two spell sets, removing fire entirely. The fire shuriken seemed too similar to Brand's Conflagration after looking at it more, and the fire version of Elemental Insurgence seemed like a little much. I would have liked to keep the ultimate, but I may incorporate the true damage into the other two.

3. Forces of Nature will be changed to be named Elemental Insurgence. Element Shuriken and Backstab as well as the champion's title will also be getting a name change.

4. Going to re-tool Elemental Insurgence so that Lightning increases attack speed, and Wind gains lifesteal. The cooldown reduction was an ability that I was struggling with and I believe that limiting the spell sets will make for a more fluid transition.

Again, thank you for your input, it has been put to great use.

Z The Slayer

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-13-2011

I would like to add that the lifesteal effect would tie in nicely if combined with whichever Element Shuriken effect (since they are both AoE's.)

I would suggest the lifesteal element goes with the cone (since lifesteal and close ranged cone both feel like tankier effects), and the movement speed/attack speed/chain lightning all go together (since it would give him the ability to harass and finish enemies who are running away).

If you follow my above advice, I would suggest that the cone would actually apply on hit effects, making the cone/lifesteal element the ideal element for AD hybrid, but the alternate element would be ideal for AP.
This way, he would be the first champ that I know of that could fully change what kind of damage he would do ON THE SPOT. So if they happen to have a Rammus or a Galio, you wouldn't be restricted to doing nothing.

And how about this for his passive:
ability power adds to his attack damage, and vice-versa, not recursively stacking.

So those 400 AP players would actually be rocking like 250 AD without any AD items.
And the same thing in reverse. So he could focus on one type depending on what the enemy is consisted of, but swap depending on who he is fighting. Or he could go hybrid, for a balance of both.

Pull this off, and you might be looking at a very successful AP Udyr.

IMarius

10-13-2011

I like the idea of having the wind shuriken gaining spell vamp, so I'll add that in for the secondary effect.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by having it apply on-hit effects, since I'm pretty tired right now.

Also, how would the AP to AD thing work? like a percentage or a flat amount?

Z The Slayer

10-13-2011

If an ability applies on-hit effects, it is treated as if every single target hit by the ability was just auto attacked. Lifesteal, Bloodrazor, Malady; all of these would apply, and his auto attack damage would be applied as well.

For example: Gangplank's Parrrley is a ranged single target bolt, but it adds any effects that Gangplank has to his auto attack, thereby making it a ranged attack (despite the fact that Gangplank is a melee champ). My suggestion is making a "cone" physical attack, but make it so that it can only deal a maximum amount of damage equal to his attack damage (to prevent an overpowered Sheen/crit bonus to everything you just hit)

Or just make it spellvamp to keep it simple. But by making both wind effects specifically life based, players will simply use it as the survivability buff, and won't use it for anything else.

Also, the AP/AD effect would be all up to you.

Akali's requires a base of 10 AD bonus AD or 10 AP to start with 10% spellvamp or spell damage, then scales with a slower percentage on both, where as Vladimir's is a base percentage right off the bat.

I'd suggest something like 30% of AP to AD, 20% of AD to AP. So that the ideal type would be a hybrid for a good amount of damage, but since he's meant to be mainly a mage, these ratios would prevent people from playing him as straight AD

Forrestal

10-13-2011

Most of the time that AD to AP passive ends up being unbalanced late game.

see Kayle's old passive. by and large useless early game, but gets really dangerous late.

By comparison Akali's passive doesn't actuallly provide more direct power to her spells, but rather more utility, and spellvamp is very useful right off the bat. same with vlads. extra AP for health provides much better mid and early than AP to AD, and much OPness later

Z The Slayer

10-13-2011

Eh, it was a better idea than the old passive.

Hmm....

Well, I'm going off to bed. Just make sure (@ the author) whatever passive you do decide on, do NOT base it off of a specific spell effect (wind/lightning, for example). Sure, a lot of champs rely on a specific ability (stealth+twitch, for example), but players should never be forced to take an ability based upon a passive.

[Edit]: Ok, quick suggestion before I take off. Passive=auto attacks on the target causes Kagemon to deal 3% more damage to the target from all sources, stacking up to 5 times.

Ignite would work wonders when combined with this (nice way of getting that fire element back ), synergizes well with his lifesteal and attack speed (use attack speed to build stacks on a tank minion, swap to lifesteal), and it would give him something to focus on while his energy is refilling.

Keep in mind, this means he deals 3% extra damage from HIS sources, not your allies or minions or whatnot. And 15% IF he maintains constant auto hits on you isn't too high.

A'ight. My work here is done. I'm tired.

PEACE.