Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Rune Guide: Flat vs Scaling (Lots of Numbers)

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

EvenAfter

06-12-2010

Hey guys. I wanted to do something I found interesting and hopefully beneficial for anyone who chooses to look through it. Below are the hard numbers for Flat Runes vs. Scaling Runes. Quintessence Runes have been put into their own section at the end. Here is a “key” for what you are looking at.

Flat IP Cost: single/set – How much one/nine Flat Rune(s) cost(s) in IP
Scaling IP Cost: Same thing as above, but for the Scaling Rune for the same stat
Flat Stat: single/set - the stat given for one/nine of that stat’s Flat rune
Scaling Stat: single/set – the stat given for one/nine of that stat’s Scaling rune. The first number is at level 1, the second at level 18.
Stat Variation - This is a comparison of Flat and Scaling by stating the comparative “value” at level 1 and level 18. Example: if a flat rune gives 10 AP the whole time, while a scaling rune gives 1 AP at level 1 and 20 at level 18, this line will read “10% to 200%”.
Level Intersect – The point at which Flat and Scaling runes are giving approximately the same value. A low number is better for Scaling runes and the opposite for Flat runes (generally speaking).

*This list only covers runes that have both scaling and flat rune options. Things such as dodge and penetration are not in here.

**Please, if I made any mistakes, if there are stats you feel are necessary, or if you have any comments/suggestions/opinions, feel free to let me know or whatever.

***All runes shown here are T3, and are the primary rune types for their stat.

Cooldown Reduction: Greater Glyph of Focus/ Greater Glyph of Celerity

Flat IP cost: single - 820; set – 7380
Scaling IP cost: single - 410; set – 3690
Flat stat: single - .65%; set – 5.85%
Scaling Stat: single - .05% to .9%; set - .45% to 8.1%
Stat Variation: 7.69% to 138%
Level Intersect: 13

Summary: The most off-putting aspect of the scaling CD reduction is unquestionably the level intersect. You will be spending at least half of the average battle under the value that flat reduction would give you, and at the early levels it’s strikingly bad. Even at level 18 you aren’t gaining enough advantage to really make it worth what you lost throughout the whole fight. Flat CD reduction is the call here.

Ability Power: Greater Glyph of Potency/ Greater Glyph of Force

Flat IP cost: single - 410; set – 3690
Flat stat: single - .99 AP; set - 8.91 AP
Scaling Stat: single - .17 AP to 3.06 AP; set – 1.53 AP to 27.54 AP
Stat Variation: 17.1% to 309%
Level Intersect: 5-6

Summary: Not a lot people choose to rune up for straight AP, but if you did, you’d have to look at the champ you’re running for. If you want to strengthen the early game of a late-game caster (like Veigar), you may go for flat to pick up that early bonus; or just the opposite, reinforce your late game even more with scaling. This one is a toss-up.

Armor: Greater Seal of Resistance/ Greater Seal of Defense

Flat IP cost: single - 205; set – 1845
Flat stat: single – 1.41; set -12.69
Scaling Stat: single - .15 to 2.7; set – 1.35 to 24.3
Stat Variation: 10.6% to 191%
Level Intersect: 9-10

Summary: Like Magic Resist, Armor is not a popular stat to rune for. The stats seem fairly balanced. Another toss up.

Magic Resist: Greater Glyph of Warding/ Greater Glyph of Shielding

Flat IP cost: single - 205; set - 1845
Scaling IP cost: single - 205; set – 1845
Flat stat: single – 1.49; set – 13.41
Stat Variation: 10.06% to 181%
Level Intersect: 10

Summary: See: Armor. This one is a toss up as well.

Max HP: Greater Seal of Fortitude/ Greater Seal of Vitality

Flat stat: single – 5.35; set – 48.15
Scaling Stat: single – 1.08 to 19.44; set – 9.72 to 174.96
Stat Variation: 20.2% to 366%
Level Intersect: 5

Summary: Probably the reason why I made this little compilation, Flat HP versus Scaling HP is a reasonably popular debate. Note that the above stats are NOT for Quintessence runes, but for Seals. While Health Quints are more obviously favored to the flat runes, I think Scaling may be the way to go here. Level 5 isn’t terribly long to wait, and the payoff is considerably larger at level 18. If you need that early health, Quints are the way to go. Perhaps flat Health Quints and scaling Health Seals? Hm…

HP Regen: Greater Seal of Vigor/ Greater Seal of Regeneration

Flat IP cost: single – 820; set – 7380
Flat stat: single - .43 hp/5; set – 3.87 hp/5
Scaling Stat: single - .11 hp/5 to 1.98 hp/5; set - .99 hp/5 to 17.82 hp/5
Stat Variation: 25% to 460%
Level Intersect: 4

Summary: If you decide to rune for HP Regen, you’re setting up for early game. 17.82 hp/5 is not going to turn the tides of a teamfight at any later stage in the game, but an extra 4 hp/5 in lane may help you stick around and get those levels early on. Due to the style and mechanics of the game, go with Flat.

Max Mana: Greater Glyph of Intellect/ Greater Glyph of Knowledge

Flat stat: single – 11.25; set – 101.25
Scaling Stat: single – 1.42 to 25.56; set – 12.78 to 230.04
Stat Variation: 12.62% to 227%
Level Intersect: 8

Summary: Over 100 extra mana right off the bat is nothing to scoff at. It’s my experience that people who need mana a lot will get more of it regardless of what runes the have, while those with less need for a large pool late game struggle early (champions such as Ashe come to mind). With that said, I would go with Flat Mana.

Mana Regen: Greater Glyph of Replenishment/ Greater Glyph of Clarity

Flat stat: single - .31 mana/5; set – 2.79 mana/5
Scaling Stat: single - .08 mana/5 to 1.44 mana/5; set - .72 mana/5 to 12.96 mana/5
Stat Variation: 25.8% to 464%

Summary: Similar numbers to hp regen/5, mana regen has a little more room for debate. Almost 3 more mana/5 at level 1 is helpful, but it meets at level 4. How much spamming are you going to be doing in those first 3 levels? Do you need 13 mana/5 at endgame? These are things I will let you decide. Toss up.

Attack Damage: Greater Mark of Strength/ Greater Mark of Might

Flat stat: single – .32 AD; set – 5.76 AD
Scaling Stat: single - .1 AD to 1.8AD; set - .9 AD to 16.2 AD
Stat Variation: 31.25% to 281%
Level Intersect: 3-4

Summary: Another rune you don’t see much of, for good reason. Neither flat or scaling have particularly impressive numbers. If this is something you really want to have, well, I honestly don’t know which one would be better for you. Low level intersect means it’s probably best to go for scaling, but honestly, I would just get a different rune. Toss up.

EvenAfter

06-12-2010

Reserved for Quint information.

Trinovantes

06-12-2010

i find runes best for the early game advantage

end game, when i'm farmed/fed items > runes

so flat runes are still my preference

ZyloWolfBane

06-12-2010

Quote:
EvenAfter:
Hey guys. I wanted to do something I found interesting and hopefully beneficial for anyone who chooses to look through it. Below are the hard numbers for Flat Runes vs. Scaling Runes. Quintessence Runes have been put into their own section at the end. Here is a “key” for what you are looking at.

Flat IP Cost: single/set – How much one/nine Flat Rune(s) cost(s) in IP
Scaling IP Cost: Same thing as above, but for the Scaling Rune for the same stat
Flat Stat: single/set - the stat given for one/nine of that stat’s Flat rune
Scaling Stat: single/set – the stat given for one/nine of that stat’s Scaling rune. The first number is at level 1, the second at level 18.
Stat Variation - This is a comparison of Flat and Scaling by stating the comparative “value” at level 1 and level 18. Example: if a flat rune gives 10 AP the whole time, while a scaling rune gives 1 AP at level 1 and 20 at level 18, this line will read “10% to 200%”.
Level Intersect – The point at which Flat and Scaling runes are giving approximately the same value. A low number is better for Scaling runes and the opposite for Flat runes (generally speaking).

*This list only covers runes that have both scaling and flat rune options. Things such as dodge and penetration are not in here.

**Please, if I made any mistakes, if there are stats you feel are necessary, or if you have any comments/suggestions/opinions, feel free to let me know or whatever.

***All runes shown here are T3, and are the primary rune types for their stat.

Cooldown Reduction: Greater Glyph of Focus/ Greater Glyph of Celerity

Flat stat: single - .65%; set – 5.85%
Scaling Stat: single - .05% to .9%; set - .45% to 8.1%
Stat Variation: 7.69% to 138%
Level Intersect: 13

Summary: The most off-putting aspect of the scaling CD reduction is unquestionably the level intersect. You will be spending at least half of the average battle under the value that flat reduction would give you, and at the early levels it’s strikingly bad. Even at level 18 you aren’t gaining enough advantage to really make it worth what you lost throughout the whole fight. Flat CD reduction is the call here.

Ability Power: Greater Glyph of Potency/ Greater Glyph of Force

Flat stat: single - .99 AP; set - 8.91 AP
Scaling Stat: single - .17 AP to 3.06 AP; set – 1.53 AP to 27.54 AP
Stat Variation: 17.1% to 309%
Level Intersect: 5-6

Summary: Not a lot people choose to rune up for straight AP, but if you did, you’d have to look at the champ you’re running for. If you want to strengthen the early game of a late-game caster (like Veigar), you may go for flat to pick up that early bonus; or just the opposite, reinforce your late game even more with scaling. This one is a toss-up.

Armor: Greater Seal of Resistance/ Greater Seal of Defense

Flat stat: single – 1.41; set -12.69
Stat Variation: 10.6% to 191%
Level Intersect: 9-10

Summary: Like Magic Resist, Armor is not a popular stat to rune for. The stats seem fairly balanced. Another toss up.

Magic Resist: Greater Glyph of Warding/ Greater Glyph of Shielding

Flat IP cost: single - 205; set - 1845
Flat stat: single – 1.49; set – 13.41
Stat Variation: 10.06% to 181%
Level Intersect: 10

Summary: See: Armor. This one is a toss up as well.

Max HP: Greater Seal of Fortitude/ Greater Seal of Vitality

Flat stat: single – 5.35; set – 48.15
Scaling Stat: single – 1.08 to 19.44; set – 9.72 to 174.96
Stat Variation: 20.2% to 366%
Level Intersect: 5

Summary: Probably the reason why I made this little compilation, Flat HP versus Scaling HP is a reasonably popular debate. Note that the above stats are NOT for Quintessence runes, but for Seals. While Health Quints are more obviously favored to the flat runes, I think Scaling may be the way to go here. Level 5 isn’t terribly long to wait, and the payoff is considerably larger at level 18. If you need that early health, Quints are the way to go. Perhaps flat Health Quints and scaling Health Seals? Hm…

HP Regen: Greater Seal of Vigor/ Greater Seal of Regeneration

Flat IP cost: single – 820; set – 7380
Flat stat: single - .43 hp/5; set – 3.87 hp/5
Scaling Stat: single - .11 hp/5 to 1.98 hp/5; set - .99 hp/5 to 17.82 hp/5
Stat Variation: 25% to 460%

Summary: If you decide to rune for HP Regen, you’re setting up for early game. 17.82 hp/5 is not going to turn the tides of a teamfight at any later stage in the game, but an extra 4 hp/5 in lane may help you stick around and get those levels early on. Due to the style and mechanics of the game, go with Flat.

Max Mana: Greater Glyph of Intellect/ Greater Glyph of Knowledge

Flat stat: single – 11.25; set – 101.25
Scaling Stat: single – 1.42 to 25.56; set – 12.78 to 230.04
Stat Variation: 12.62% to 227%
Level Intersect: 8

Summary: Over 100 extra mana right off the bat is nothing to scoff at. It’s my experience that people who need mana a lot will get more of it regardless of what runes the have, while those with less need for a large pool late game struggle early (champions such as Ashe come to mind). With that said, I would go with Flat Mana.

Scaling Stat: single - .08 mana/5 to 1.44 mana/5; set - .72 mana/5 to 12.96 mana/5

Summary: Similar numbers to hp regen/5, mana regen has a little more room for debate. Almost 3 more mana/5 at level 1 is helpful, but it meets at level 4. How much spamming are you going to be doing in those first 3 levels? Do you need 13 mana/5 at endgame? These are things I will let you decide. Toss up.

Attack Damage: Greater Mark of Strength/ Greater Mark of Might

Flat stat: single – .32 AD; set – 5.76 AD
Scaling Stat: single - .1 AD to 1.8AD; set - .9 AD to 16.2 AD
Stat Variation: 31.25% to 281%
Level Intersect: 3-4

Summary: Another rune you don’t see much of, for good reason. Neither flat or scaling have particularly impressive numbers. If this is something you really want to have, well, I honestly don’t know which one would be better for you. Low level intersect means it’s probably best to go for scaling, but honestly, I would just get a different rune. Toss up.

Awesome!

You might want to have this submitted in the guides section though.

Sentient 6

06-12-2010

Nice write up, good job.

HeLawlsAtYouSon

Recruiter

06-12-2010

Enjoyed the analysis, and I'll take this into account when purchasing new runes now. Thanks!

delima05

09-09-2010

good post thanks for info. favorite this page!. been trying to figure out if i should take mark of strength or mark of might. after thinkning and reading a few posts. i think runes have a larger effect at early game ( 1-6 mostly ) than at end game. so strength would have a strong effect. if you set up your early game well enough ( kills, ganks, farming etc. ) you should be pretty set for getting items mid/end. therefore i believe str over might.

T8mNEiLGTw

Recruiter

09-09-2010

Quote:
EvenAfter:

Seals are the primary for mana regen.

the a set of scaling ones gives about 18mp5 at lvl 18.

Whyumai

10-07-2010

useful. thank you.