Any advice for going against Olaf?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Aircross

06-12-2010

I haven't played a match against Olaf yet, but I want to be prepared.

I main Taric, and i am heavily reliant on his stun ability (Dazzle) to fend off initiations on my squishy allies, initiate team fights myself, and stunning fleeing enemies so that my carries can take them down.

After reading the forums a bit and watching some videos, I have been given the impression that Olaf is both an anti-tank champion thanks to his armor penetration and an anti-CC champion thanks to his ult.

What's the best thing for me to do against Olaf?

When he rushes in during team fights he'll most likely pop his ult and go for my carries. Since I can't stop him, I'm effectively useless against him (though I can still heal my carries and deal some damage with Shatter.) I guess the next best thing would be to stop other enemy glass cannons.

Any advice would be appreciated.

JackAubrey

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-12-2010

Armor pen is actually more effective the less armor your target has, until you have more armor pen than they have armor in which case additional armor pen does nothing.

When Olaf runs in, don't try to stun him. Save it for afterwards. Your team has two options, basically.

A) Treat him like Poppy. Poppy runs in and bursts the hell out of someone while their team watches. To counter this, keep your Armor buff up until after his ult wears off, then stun him and shatter it. At that point, he's not immune to cc, he's not reducing incoming damage, and his armor is reduced from your AoE, so focus him.

B) Treat him like any other carry. Everybody focuses him and nukes him down. This works best if he's running in first. Just make sure to save your CC for his teamates. His ult gives him some survivability, but it doesn't make him immortal. That 600 damage nuke your teammate used on him is doing 535 damage instead, big deal. It's autoattackers (and especially Attack Speed DPS) that it works best against, and Olaf is definitely weak to caster burst.

Of course, if he's stacking HP it's probably best to go after someone squishy first. You don't target a Garen with Sunfire / Warmog's first, and you shouldn't focus an Olaf with them either.

Remember that his ult only lasts a few seconds and stun him when it's down.

Vaan

06-12-2010

Jax vs. Olaf
I can only see these two having an epic showdown.

FortuitusFortune

Master Recruiter

06-12-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaan View Post
Jax vs. Olaf
Jax would pretty much rofl stomp the olaf unless he was poorly geared in comparison.

Yellow Jester

06-12-2010

ult only lasts about 6 seconds, don't worry so much.

hunkfish

06-14-2010

you need to burst him down when he low health that's why i love playing cho now, viking meat good to chew on!

IDK HtwoP

06-14-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalis View Post
Jax would pretty much rofl stomp the olaf unless he was poorly geared in comparison.

lol anyone > jax if there not an idiot jax isnt that op people just l2p ?

Booty Colin

06-14-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDK HtwoP View Post
lol anyone > jax if there not an idiot jax isnt that op people just l2p ?

I disagree. Anyone?? You're telling me gangplank could take a jax one on one?? In that case i'll see you ingame. Lol. But if you're talking melee carry vs melee carry I'm not really sure how you beat an 18% dodge chance with few to no spells. I don't know if Olaf could hack it, tbh. And l2p is never a good answer. Oh. Also--- Spellcheck FTL.

Redenbacher

06-14-2010

Save your disables for when he is low on health. His attack speed goes through the roof, and if he's running lifesteal, he'll be even tougher to shut down. It's for this reason he'll often overextend for a kill, because he knows he will be doing the most damage. Wait until he's around 30%, stun him, and crush him.

Leirkov

06-14-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaan View Post
Jax vs. Olaf
I saw that... and Olaf won.

He's probably going to rush Frozen Mallet and a ton of HP items so you need to feed off of him early. Other people have better advice than I could provide.