Dominion sympathizes for losing teams. Rubberbanding, artificial "close games", etc.

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Talistiir

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Member

10-18-2011

Yep, I think the mechanics are being blown out of proportion, and close is fun, but the first few times you are 400-125 up then suddenly 150-50 up you think "woah, how did these guys make such an incredible comeback?".

You learn to live with it and play to the mechanics and win. I still think it's wierd that the respawn timers favor the losing team, but once you learn that and they get far behind on points, you try much harder not to die.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Schweigegel├╝bde

Senior Member

10-18-2011

Personally? I think everyones missing the real point.

up till the "rubberband" mechanic, most of the enemy teams loses are from dieing. Minus the rubber band effect, dominion wouldn't be capture and hold;

It'd be Team Deathmatch.

My proposal? Clean and simple.

Remove Champion deaths and kills from hurting the Nexus, and make the game about capture and hold. To make the games still short, make the points tick faster.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Jadarok

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

10-18-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotytehneko View Post
Personally? I think everyones missing the real point.

up till the "rubberband" mechanic, most of the enemy teams loses are from dieing. Minus the rubber band effect, dominion wouldn't be capture and hold;

It'd be Team Deathmatch.

My proposal? Clean and simple.

Remove Champion deaths and kills from hurting the Nexus, and make the game about capture and hold. To make the games still short, make the points tick faster.
I asked this question myself. Why have that aspect in at all? Brackhar responded saying it was implemented to give more weight to the early game. Doing better early (at least when it comes to brawling), will give you a bigger points buffer end game.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

GGiygas

Junior Member

10-18-2011

Hello, i just read this topic and wanted to say that i've won a 5 vs 124 and it felt AMAZING.

If you want replay, request it by PM :P


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Necks

Senior Member

10-19-2011

What are everyone's thoughts on the Graves patch changes for Dominion?

I've been noticing a new trend. If my team has the perfect scenario: dominates Windmill early game, wins bot lane 1v1, and plays intelligently beyond that, we actually win with a score that reflects our good gameplay! Our 400 point lead turns into a ~350 point victory. Now that's more like it.

I'm not saying every game is like this, but the games where a team just DOMINATES the other (totally crushing the other team...you've all had those games every now and then), the score actually reflects it appropriately. Before, even if a team absolutely dominated the other, the score would artificially even itself out in a lame way. Now, Riot seems to have slightly fixed that fake auto-balancing. A step in the right direction.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

corallein

Senior Member

10-19-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necks View Post
What are everyone's thoughts on the Graves patch changes for Dominion?

I've been noticing a new trend. If my team has the perfect scenario: dominates Windmill early game, wins bot lane 1v1, and plays intelligently beyond that, we actually win with a score that reflects our good gameplay! Our 400 point lead turns into a ~350 point victory. Now that's more like it.

I'm not saying every game is like this, but the games where a team just DOMINATES the other (totally crushing the other team...you've all had those games every now and then), the score actually reflects it appropriately. Before, even if a team absolutely dominated the other, the score would artificially even itself out in a lame way. Now, Riot seems to have slightly fixed that fake auto-balancing. A step in the right direction.
It can be summarized by one thing:
Nothing effing changed.

Except for maybe that one person who holds bot lane the entire game gets a more reasonable score instead of being guaranteed to be dead last on his team in personal score, which is something completely irrelevant to the outcome of the game.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Shini Laser

Senior Member

10-19-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by corallein View Post
It can be summarized by one thing:
Nothing effing changed.

Except for maybe that one person who holds bot lane the entire game gets a more reasonable score instead of being guaranteed to be dead last on his team in personal score, which is something completely irrelevant to the outcome of the game.
Give it a day or two, he'll start raging again the system is still broken.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Jadarok

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

10-19-2011

Quote:
...we actually win with a score that reflects our good gameplay!
Quote:
Nothing effing changed.
Quote:
Give it a day or two, he'll start raging again the system is still broken.
Just proof of how subjective this really is. I'm pretty sure people will complain about these "phantom comebacks created by Riot" until they bring snowball mechanics to Crystal Scar. These mechanics are there just to keep the losing team in the game, to counteract snowballing, nothing more. It's not a free comeback in the slightest.

It's like changing possession in a football game after you score a touchdown. Is that rubber-banding? No of course not. It's just the other teams turn with the ball. Even that I think is an exaggeration of these mechanics.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DarkOneBR

Member

10-19-2011

IMO the best solution is to remove any sort of artificial help.

If a team makes a comeback, it should be due to the team outplaying the enemy, or because a late game champ out-powers other early game champions, not because the game is pitying them.

That the game mechanics are influenced and skewed in favor of the losing team is extremely patronizing towards the players and making a player feel that he's being penalized for a great performance is outright frustrating

I'm seeing many games where a late game power house (Trynd, Yi, Akali) are allowed comebacks from monstrous disadvantages without changing tactics and/or stopping to commit the same mistakes (suicidal attacks), because the mechanics reward this sort of suicidal attrition.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Jadarok

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

10-19-2011

Quote:
IMO the best solution is to remove any sort of artificial help.

If a team makes a comeback, it should be due to the team outplaying the enemy, or because a late game champ out-powers other early game champions, not because the game is pitying them.
In my opinion, there is no artificial help. Saying a slight scew in the respawn timers is the game "pitying them" is a HUGE exaggeration. The mechanics that are there are so small, it's amazing people claim it throws the game in the losers favor. These just keep the losers in the game. To prevent the game being over after the first windmill cap with the winner very easily sitting on 3 points.

All these claims of teams making comebacks without changing tactics or not making mistakes is extremely anecdotal and subjective. It's why Riot increased the time kills count for nexus points. Just to help with this FEELING some players have about the system.

I think people are just used to SR where heavy snowballing is the norm. The lack of punishment equates to a helping hand.