Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

To snowball?

Yes, always 5 7.69%
No, never 8 12.31%
Conditionally.... 47 72.31%
QQmoarnub 5 7.69%
Voters 65 .

To Snowball or not to Snowball...

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Fragglerock

Recruiter

06-11-2010

Immediately I think of the more unpleasant definition of snowball...

Anyway, I'm looking for some opinions here on whether or not you should buy a Mejais/SotO.

I'm coming from the perspective of an Ezreal main, but essentially any champ, do you think it's worth buying a snowball item all the time, none of the time, or conditionally; if so, what conditions would those be?

I came to this question by analyzing what I bring to the table in a game. As Ezreal in particular, his support ability was nerfed, so more emphasis will have to be put on offense. But what is the best way to do so? Snowball items are a gamble. And they only boost 1 stat, and can make you a target. They are also only worth getting early in the game... money you could be using for upgraded boots, wards, etc

I personally have issue with any Guide or advice that bases the choice on 'best case scenarios'. You know, the ones who claim you'll have 400 AP by mid-game, 'if you're doing it right'. The guides that base their builds off 45 minute games and 15,000 gold. Because somehow even though you dominated them so hard, you're team is struggling to win.

So given all that perspective, and average effective game length of 30 minutes (last 5+ spent pushing, not shopping), and good players not letting you kill them over and over... are you STILL better off going snowball?

Bladee

06-11-2010

I don't like to snowball because its just.. too gay, not fair and it sucks to win without having fun.

Ok, for most people crushing the other team with no mercy without any challenge at all is fun, but not for me.

Sad Faced Panda

06-11-2010

I agree with Bladee, snowballing is too much like men kissing to be fair.

Fragglerock

Recruiter

06-11-2010

Quote:
Bladee:
I don't like to snowball because its just.. too gay, not fair and it sucks to win without having fun.

Ok, for most people crushing the other team with no mercy without any challenge at all is fun, but not for me.

So, you're saying snowball IS more effective, AND easy to pull off getting big stacks?

SoopaTomato

Recruiter

06-11-2010

pick up snowball items if your team is doing well early-game, don't buy them if your team isn't

Temlam

06-11-2010

I'm drunk ignore me

1337SuperNewb

Recruiter

06-11-2010

Game going well - high creep scores or hero kills on my part: Mejai's/occult

Game going decently - depends on how I feel, usually no mejai's/occult

Game going poorly - no.

pannra

06-11-2010

Snowballing. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BeB0cDr3R0)

Bladee

06-11-2010

Quote:
Zingledot:
So, you're saying snowball IS more effective, AND easy to pull off getting big stacks?

yes, when you have competent mates (or a premade team), will be easy for you to get stacks... or stupid enemies... anyway, once you snowball is hard to lose.

Fragglerock

Recruiter

06-11-2010

Quote:
Bladee:
yes, when you have competent mates (or a premade team), will be easy for you to get stacks... or stupid enemies... anyway, once you snowball is hard to lose.

Often times I find a snowball item getting stacks to be more of an indication of how good your team is doing, rather than how good you WILL do.

For example, I have mejais, and I have 17 stacks by level 14. Sure, I have ~100 more ap more AP than I would normally have, but if we're wrecking them that badly, chances are my whole team has a lot more money and levels than theirs, and they probably weren't that good/bad hero matchup to begin with, how much does that snowball item REALLY factor into it?