Need help with anything, in-game or otherwise?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Helidead09

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-09-2010

Hello all you new players! My name is JB, A.K.A Helidead09. I wish to offer you my services, in-game or otherwise, on any questions you may have. Feel free to ask here, or just add me in game. My in game name is of course Helidead09. Hope to hear from you soon!

Rawrwar

06-09-2010

Ok, I started this sunday, and I didn't play DotA more than a couple times, so I have some questions:

1.) What is the difference between attack damage and ability power?

2.) What is "skill vamp"? I saw one item that has this, but it doesn't explain anywhere what it is.

3.) What are some generally decent items that help out a newbie across most characters? Specifically melee characters)

4.) Is Nasus not that good or am I just failing at him? When I started this sunday, Master Yi was available as free to play, and I didn't do that bad with him. Now they changed him and I tried out Nasus a few times, and it went horribly bad. Is it because I was playing him really poorly or because he's just not that good or a more complicated hero? I was trying to stack some attack speed and a little bit of life leech to capitalize on his passive and ulti, but that didn't seem to go well. Now I'm trying Cho'Gath because he's also available, and I'm not feeling a connection with that hero either, I don't seem to really grasp the concept of Cho'Gath, or what items I should even be going for with either hero?

5.) As you've noticed, I like melee. I know they're harder, and harder still to begin with, but that's not a problem for me, I don't mind losing. I just don't like ranged, in any games I play, I guess I just like to jump in there and go bat**** loco. So I have my eye set on Sion. I'm saving up my points money for him, as his skills seem fun, versatile and he just looks badass to the max. Is Sion an easy guy for a starter? Is his play style complicated?

6.) Generally, for melee type heroes, what kind of runes should I even be going for?

7.) Are there tough ranged characters? Or are they all balanced in the toughness department with the fact that they can hit from afar?

8.) Why is the hero distribution in a map normally split with 2 heroes in top and bottom, and 1 hero alone in the middle? How does "the team" decide who goes to the middle? Why did this trend begin in the first place? It seems to be a staple of the game, but why?

9.) Let's say I try a new hero. Next monday they change them and I get to play with new guys. How can I tell which items will be good for that particular hero, how can you tell a hero's strengths and what stats to include in the item build?

Thanks for offering to answer newbie questions btw, I appreciate the help and the friendly attitude of the general forum population!

Skeletal Fury

06-09-2010

1) Attack damage is the amount of damage your auto-attacks will do. Ability power increases the damage of most champions skills (the little +xx green thing in the skill quicktips)
2) What you probably meant was spell vamp. Spell vamp is the same as life steal but it steals life when you use skills.
3)If you are looking to play a melee character, generally you want to build attack damage, attack speed, and life steal. I find that if you are building attack speed mostly, items with on hit effects such as madred's bloodrazor and sword of the divine are great. If you're playing a melee champ, there is a good chance they will be doing some damage back to you so a little hp and armor goes a long way.
4)Nasus can be a hard champ to get the hang of. One of the keys to playing him is to last-hit with siphoning strike as it gains more damage the more enemies you kill with it. Cho-gath also take a while to get the hang of. With Cho-gath, you mostly want to build tank. He is excellent in team fights with just throwing around his weight then raping stragglers w/ feast.
5) Sion, can take a bit to master, most people consider him more tank than melee dps. If you want a straight up hard hitting melee player, go for Jax. Most people consider him to be op since he has so much dodge and he can stun alot, but I still enjoy playing him.
6)Standard melee-dps runes are armor penetration marks, dodge seals, magic resist glyphs, and flat hp quints.
7)In, general range characters are just straight up squishy. but usually they have some sort of escape ablity if they get in close range (tristana's rocket jump or corki's valkyrie)
8)Yes there is a reason for the 2-1-2 lane distribution. Generally you want a ranged carry (such as ashe or tristana) in mid because the faster they level, the faster they can mess people up. Now the reason that mid is the solo lane is that it is much easier for their team member to gank the other mid solo. If you were in bottom lane, and the solo lane was top, and you wanted to gank it would take forever to get up to top to gank, and by the time you got there, someone on the enemy team would have called mia on you and you end up with a failed gank.
9)Generally when you first play a hero, the recommended items are a good build to follow. As you get better with them and learn their in's and out's and how you play them, you can build them differently. For example, nunu's recommended items may be for tank, but if you get good with him you can build him ap and mess people up with your ult.

Hope this helped and anyone that has any additional info or see's anything wrong with what I've said, feel free to add-on or correct.

Hakairyu

06-09-2010

Hope Heli doesn't mind me answering questions for him. :X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawrwar View Post
Attack damage affects your normal attacks. Ability power affects your spells. Some abilities may not benefit from Ability Power, such as Wuju Style (Master Yi).

2.) What is "skill vamp"? I saw one item that has this, but it doesn't explain anywhere what it is.
It allows you to regenerate life when you hit enemies with your abilities. For example, if your Master Yi had 10% spell vamp and hit a single opponent with a 100 damage Alpha Strike, you would regain 10 HP. Of course, this is more potent on casters.

3.) What are some generally decent items that help out a newbie across most characters? Specifically melee characters)
Doran's Shield is a great starter item for almost any character. It gives you health, armor AND regeneration, which allows you to stay in the lane longer. Youmu's Ghostblade is a rather potent item when chasing heroes as a melee character. Phage also helps you slow down players, and also gives you a bit of health as well as damage, it's pretty good on melee characters too.

4.) Is Nasus not that good or am I just failing at him? When I started this sunday, Master Yi was available as free to play, and I didn't do that bad with him. Now they changed him and I tried out Nasus a few times, and it went horribly bad. Is it because I was playing him really poorly or because he's just not that good or a more complicated hero? I was trying to stack some attack speed and a little bit of life leech to capitalize on his passive and ulti, but that didn't seem to go well. Now I'm trying Cho'Gath because he's also available, and I'm not feeling a connection with that hero either, I don't seem to really grasp the concept of Cho'Gath, or what items I should even be going for with either hero?
Nasus is a very good hero, he is also quite easy to play. Try going for Trinity Force with Nasus - it provides all he needs: extra damage, extra speed, mana, etc. Nasus is usually in the thick of the fight with his ultimate on, it allows him to take a lot of damage AND deal a lot of damage. Spirit Fire is very powerful in a team fight, it allows you to reduce your enemies' armor or force them to move, which gives you an advantage.

As for Cho'Gath, you usually play him tanky, although AP isn't too bad either. When laning, you really have to focus on getting the last hits on minions, it allows you to harrass your opponents with the mana you are regaining. I'm not too sure what exactly you have trouble with, so elaborate, please.

5.) As you've noticed, I like melee. I know they're harder, and harder still to begin with, but that's not a problem for me, I don't mind losing. I just don't like ranged, in any games I play, I guess I just like to jump in there and go bat**** loco. So I have my eye set on Sion. I'm saving up my points money for him, as his skills seem fun, versatile and he just looks badass to the max. Is Sion an easy guy for a starter? Is his play style complicated?
Sion is great. He has a powerful single target stun which isn't difficult to use. It also deals a large amount of damage and has a short cooldown. His damage shield helps his survivability a fair bit, and AP builds can be quite ridiculous with that shield. He also has a skill that allows him to get extra damage in exchange for sacrificing health on each hit, although this also has the side effect of increasing his maximum health whenever he kills a minion. In general, he's pretty easy to use, and very versatile. A good champion.

6.) Generally, for melee type heroes, what kind of runes should I even be going for?
In general, you'll want armor penetration marks. There are exceptions like Katarina, who is a melee caster. For Seals, you can have either Dodge or HP runes. Mana regeneration runes are also pretty good. For Glyphs, you can get cooldown reduction runes or magic resist/level runes. As for Quintessences, you can get anything. Movement speed is good, but so is armor penetration.

7.) Are there tough ranged characters? Or are they all balanced in the toughness department with the fact that they can hit from afar?
Tough ranged characters? In general, no. Of course, part of the fun in LoL is that you can build any character in any way. I have seen tank Tristanas.

8.) Why is the hero distribution in a map normally split with 2 heroes in top and bottom, and 1 hero alone in the middle? How does "the team" decide who goes to the middle? Why did this trend begin in the first place? It seems to be a staple of the game, but why?
2/1/2 traces back to DotA, and has become the standard team formation. In general, you'll want someone strong in the middle lane. Someone who can take advantage of the level advantage (like Karthus). Most of the time, you want mid to be the solo lane because mid is connected to both top and bottom. So your solomid can gank top or bottom, whereas if your solo laner was bottom he would only be able to easily gank mid (it takes a lot longer to go to top). That's why it's 2/1/2 and not 2/2/1, for example. Of course, there are times when you might want to try something a little less traditional when playing with friends.

9.) Let's say I try a new hero. Next monday they change them and I get to play with new guys. How can I tell which items will be good for that particular hero, how can you tell a hero's strengths and what stats to include in the item build?
You can read up on guides in LoL forum. You can also briefly read up on the champion's abilities on the LoL website when you're free at work/school (http://www.leagueoflegends.com/champions/). It'll give you a general idea of what they can do, and how well they scale.

Thanks for offering to answer newbie questions btw, I appreciate the help and the friendly attitude of the general forum population!

Kajitii

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-09-2010

Quote:
Ok, I started this sunday, and I didn't play DotA more than a couple times, so I have some questions:
Everyone's gotta start somewhere!

Quote:
Attack Damage (AD) is the power of your champion's right-click attack, and is always physical damage. So let's say you stacked 3 BF Swords, each giving +50 AD. At lvl 18, your champion will do about 250 damage per basic attack!

Ability Power (AP) is the power of your champion's abilities/spells, as determined by a specific ratio, and it's usually magic damage. AP also adds to your AD if you're attacking structures (and only structures) at a 40% rate, to compensate for casters normally being ineffective against structures. To look up the ratio, refer to the website champion database.

AP is normally at 0. But let's say you bought 2 Blasting Wands and get 80 AP. As Soraka, your lvl 5 Astral Blessing will now heal for 300 + 80x(1), or 380. On the other hand, casting lvl 5 Infuse against an enemy champion will do 250 + 80x(.6), or 298 damage.

Fair warning: some champions benefit little from AP (like Ashe) or not at all (Garen).

Quote:
Think lifesteal, except it works for spells only. Spellvamp works at 33% of the actual value if you're chucking multi-target spells around.

It also pays to remember that lifesteal doesn't work for spells, although lifesteal is used instead of spellvamp if you're using attack supplement skills such as Nasus's Siphon Strike.

Quote:
Brutalizer, Youmuu's Ghostblade (don't forget the activation component!), Last Whisper. Generally can't go wrong with those, and the first one is relatively cheap for 1337 gold.

Quote:
Each hero has a different play style and different strategy to best synergize their skills. Master Yi is a very simple champion, and is a good way to start, whereas Nasus and Cho'Gath are more complicated (though they're easy compared to someone like Anivia). I would advise reading up guides for champions you're new to, and think about your gameplay, specifically what you did that was good, and what you did that you could have done better or prevented. And remember, a few games do not dictate whether you're good or bad at a champion. Hell, some champions really take lots of practice against players before you can be good at them.

Quote:
I've never played Sion yet, but he's okay for a starter. I think the most complicated thing about him is when to use your shield, whether for defense or offense, as it can be used to save your bacon or pop it next to your enemies and lay the smackdown.

I'm sure someone else can provide better feedback.

Quote:
Armor Penetration Marks (red)
Dodge or MP5/lvl Seals (yellow)
Magic Resist or MP5/lvl Glyphs (blue) (do MP5/lvl in one or the other, not both, but customize as you see fit)
Armor Penetration or flat HP Quints (purple)

Quote:
I don't believe there's actually a ranged character that can take abuse without building lots of survival items. Watch out for caster champions though, not only are they tricky, but they have many items that give HP and AP at once.

Quote:
Whoa there, you just stepped into something that can't be fully answered to a new guy! The tl;dr version is that this setup is the typical winner, and that other setups tend to end in disaster. (having 2 solos, a dual lane, and a jungler is also a viable starter strategy)

Here's the deal: top and bottom have lots of grass lining the sides in close proximity, which makes it plenty dangerous. Middle also has grass in the river, but those are further away, and generally your chances of running away from a potential gank are fairly high (unless you pushed to the enemy turret). The same can't be said for top and bottom lanes. So what happens when you put two people in those lanes? One champion can help to save the other champion's ass if he gets in trouble, and you can play more dangerous mind games with the other team using the grass.

Another thing to consider when deciding who goes mid comes from whether or not the selected person can hold on his own and/or dominate the other opponent. Obviously some champions are horrible for soloing, and some champions have counter champions. Since the champion is by himself, he will gain all of the exp for minions slain instead of having to share it. This allows him to lvl faster, and lets him to get access to his ultimate ability quickly at lvl 6. Take Twisted Fate for example. He is a ranged champion and has a stun, but his ultimate allows him to reveal everyone on the other team and even lets him teleport to another location. If he has the time to spare, he can pop his ultimate and quickly put the enemy team in a very bad position by forcing the lanes to become 3v2.

Quote:
Just read up on the hero via the website and guides. Do a little planning, try the hero out in a practice game, then do some more planning. Leaguecraft.com is a great place to go for theorycrafting or looking up specific stats of a champion. You can also look at the recommended item set for the champion during your practice matches to get an idea of what you should be going for. Keep in mind they're not optimal for EVERY situation, and are designed to be newbie friendly. For example, Meki Pendant and Chalice of Harmony may be common early-game picks, but you could skip them if you're specced for some mana regeneration.

Rawrwar

06-09-2010

Thank you all for your answers!

Now, Kajitii touches another subject I had a doubt with...

10.) Is there any way I can bind a key to the item slots? In the middle of a heated battle, and specially being new, and nervous like me, the last thing on my mind is active item abilities. I got enough as it is in the screen and my simple brain cannot process that much information at once and still have braincells left over for me to realize I have an item with an awesome buff in it.

11.) What is smart casting?

12.) Should I save up for the most expensive runes or just scale up my way to them and discard older ones?

13.) Is there a way to turn off auto attacking? I miss a lot of last hits on creeps because my hero goes somewhere else to hit something else. Is there an alternative to wearing out my mouse click by constantly clicking the ground? Am I doomed to have an overdeveloped middle finger from all the right clicking?

Kajitii

06-09-2010

Quote:

=O

Quote:
10.) Is there any way I can bind a key to the item slots? In the middle of a heated battle, and specially being new, and nervous like me, the last thing on my mind is active item abilities. I got enough as it is in the screen and my simple brain cannot process that much information at once and still have braincells left over for me to realize I have an item with an awesome buff in it.
You can click and drag items into different slots. I typically drag items with active abilities into slot 1, because I tend to mash the 1 key when I want an item effect. In case it matters, slots 1 2 3 are on top and 4 5 6 are on the bottom, in that order.

As for actually rebinding item keys, try to do that before the minions spawn or whenever you're dead.

Quote:
Smart casting is supposed to be a quicker way of casting spells. Instead of using the hotkey for the skill and clicking with your mouse, you can just use the hotkey and the position of the mouse to cast!

You'll want to get a feel for how this works though, since the mechanics are a bit... different (my preference is to not use it, but that's just me). For example, if you're Soraka, and your mouse is not on any particular unit, smart-casting Astral Blessing will heal yourself. However, if your mouse is over an allied champion or the corresponding champion's portrait, smart-casting Astral Blessing will heal that champion instead. Sometimes this results in a mistake that is fatal, so be careful! (Summoner spell Flash smart-casts by default, unless you click on the spell)

Quote:
12.) Should I save up for the most expensive runes or just scale up my way to them and discard older ones?
You may grab Tier 1 runes, since they are very very cheap, giving 50+% of the stats of a Tier 3 rune for only 8% of the cost! You may later combine the Tier 1 runes for a Tier 3 rune (you need 25 of them though) just for lulz. WARNING: runes you get from the rune combiner are COMPLETELY RANDOM!!

I would highly recommend against buying Tier 2 runes, since they definitely aren't the best, and they are expensive. Speaking of expensive, Tier 3 runes will most likely break your bank once you can buy them, but they're the best things you can get (other than new champions), so who cares?

Quote:
13.) Is there a way to turn off auto attacking? I miss a lot of last hits on creeps because my hero goes somewhere else to hit something else. Is there an alternative to wearing out my mouse click by constantly clicking the ground? Am I doomed to have an overdeveloped middle finger from all the right clicking?
I believe there's a hotkey that tells your champion to stop attacking. I don't use it, since dancing is encouraged anyways (who knows, it might save you from getting smacked by a skill shot from across the map), and I heard the mechanics of the stop hotkey are less than reliable.

In case you want to stop auto-attacking because you lose sight of your champion, you can press spacebar to center the camera on your champion. Quite handy imo.

Helidead09

06-09-2010

Wow, thanks for all the help people! Sorry I wasn't around to answer any of the questions, but I work 3rd shift and I was asleep. Thanks again!

Oh, and if you are still wondering about item builds for champions, I have a thread with builds for different champions here - https://www.leagueoflegends.com/boar...d.php?t=113512.

And for all you senior members, head over there and give me some item builds for the champions that don't have any yet.

Hakairyu

06-10-2010

I'll add on a bit to the things Kaijiti might not have mentioned.

Quote:

You can rebind them in the Key Bindings menu, under Options. But yeah, as Kaijiti informed you, the default keys are

To add on to Kaijiti's post, Karthus' Lay Waste also automatically smart casts. For moves like those, if you use a smart cast button to cast them, it reverts them to normal cast, I believe.

Kaijiti gives good advice on this point.

Hold Position is H, Stop is S. I usually press H when I'm hiding in the brush for a gank.

1st

06-10-2010

dude i have a favor, can you give me the link to where i can download the installer? please and thank you