Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Arbitrary Anti-Snowball Mechanics keep Dominion down

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Uncle Confucious

10-10-2011

I've been playing a lot of dominion ever since release. In total, I've probably played over 100 Dominion games. While I'm having fun, there's a consistent pattern that has emerged that is keeping this game mode down: Anti-Snowball Mechanics

Have you ever wondered why so many games of Dominion are so close? Why is it even when you are up hundreds of points at the beginning of the game you can suddenly see a massive swing in points? The answer is because close games are literally hard coded into Dominion through the use of death timers and quests.

As a team loses, their death timers start to go down while the enemy team's timers start to go up. As the lead builds, the winning team becomes further and further punished for any mistake. This is completely the opposite of summoners rift, where death timers are solely determined by the amount of time the game has gone on.

In addition, losing teams get easier quests. If your team is losing by a significant enough margin, in a 2-3 situation where your team has the 2 locations closest to your home base and the enemy has the opposite 2 in addition to the top, you'll see the quest objective spawn as take the top turret instead of the traditional take the bottom opposite turret. And taking that top turret will get easier and easier, as your death timers will be lowered.

Unlike Summoners Rift, doing well is actually punished in Dominion.

However, this number is arbitrary. Riot's already admitted that they punished winners to hard by adjusting the numbers last patch. I think they should rethink this entire mechanic, as it will probably never be properly coded because it is ultimately completely arbitrary.

Forcing games to be close isn't fun, it's frustrating. Dominion should let winners win and losers lose, instead of dragging games out by artificially making it easier on losing teams. If a losing team is able to pull out a victory, it shouldn't be because the game is hard coded to help them, it's because they out played the other team.

EDIT: before anyone comments, I apologize, I posted on a smurf

Darmival

10-10-2011

I agree that the current system is far too lenient on a losing team... the 'helping' mechanic shouldn't be tossed all the way out.. but toned down..

I have seen teams come back by 250-300 points to win after spending most of the early to mid game being pretty dominated ( lol ). Pretty ridiculous to punish good play so much.

BurntWalrus

10-10-2011

I suggest just consistent respawn timers, same always.

But i have to admit, 9/10 its the losing team that comes back and wins. Its complete baloney that my team can come back with >100 points left. Not to mention when i my team is actually doing well i get punished for it?

This isn't SR, getting a kill HARDLY gets you any advancement. Why is there a need for anti-snowballing when generally everyone gets around the same amount of gold?

I completely agree, riot shouldn't drag out games. Thats what makes people quit because they play well and they are punished for it. Who wants to play a game where if your winning you get a debuff? Its like those racing games lol.

Lethal Kebab

10-10-2011

I may be wrong, but I think you spawn more minions if you losing.. I notice that when my team is winning, a lot of times I have to break off and rescue a turret from their minions taking it over. It seems to me this is another anti-snow ball mechanism. Can anyone verify?

gnmish

10-10-2011

They did reduce the death timer disparity in the last patch, have you noticed this as much since the Xerath patch?

Quote:
Udyr:

The Crystal Scar
  • Ambient gold gain reduced by 7%
  • Reduced the time range of the respawns to help early winning teams finish games

Weirding

10-10-2011

What you are probably noticing is champions that have poor early games snowballing into powerful late-game forces and dominating you.

I just played a game on a team of Ryze (me), Jax, Akali, Kassadin, and Trundle. The enemy was Katarina, Irelia, Yorick, Twitch, and Shaco. They were an early-game team, and we were definitely a late-game one. We held them off for about 10 minutes until we built the items we needed then just proceeded to stomp them. Kassadin spent most of his time backdooring points to allow us to neutralize or capture points for a short time early game to stop the bleeding.

The other team complained that they did well early and felt cheated, but the fact is that my team had a strategy in mind (don't get 4 or 5-capped and hang on until mid or late game) and we implemented it.

The fact that the game doesn't "snowball" like Summoner's Rift does allows for these kinds of strategies. I think that this is a good thing.

By the way, I've played nearly 300 games so far. I haven't been in SR since Dominion released.

OctopusDropkick

10-10-2011

Totally disagree. If you're ahead by 200 points and somehow lose, it's because you deserve to lose. You screwed up and the opposing team got it together. That's the story.

WaterD103

Recruiter

10-10-2011

I overall agree.

The death time is stupid.

The quest system Would be ok if implemented in a way that is less random to give a a losing team a chance to get back.But nobody knows how quests works because Riot refuse to tell us.

Both together makes up for too much of a FORCED system.

One anti snowball mechanic that is fine is the SHARED death timer. So if your team gets all whiped at least you come back somewhat faster.

Some anti snowball is fine. There is too much here and the reduced death timers because you have less point is stupid.

RealMithron

10-10-2011

No, it's a great thing. I want there to be even more anti-snowball mechanics, I don't think this was quite enough. It still doesn't change anything when an enemy is 9-1 and everyone on your team besides you is negative and you're just 6-4. You're still going to lose, they're still fed, they're still going to win every fight both on your own points and if you're trying to assault, you'll only win if you get really lucky.

It's not frustrating to be forced to keep things close and even, not at all, it's quite the opposite. It's frustrating when the losers are forced to KEEP LOSING instead, like on SR.

Stop having an opinion about the opposite of what's true. Comebacks are a great thing and they need to make even more comeback mechanics.

withoutwax21

10-10-2011

the death timer should be based on the points the person has aquired in the game, that would make it anti-snowball, but at the same time not punishing unfairly, as it does now