Rune advice for beginners

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

countermage

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-09-2010

A lot of people regret the runes they take (I did regret some of my choices) , so here is advice to avoid making bad decisions.

LVL 1-16:
Do not buy any rune except runes that cost 15 and use combiner to extract
tier 2 runes (combine 5 of them). Then consider how valuable the rune you received is.
If its valuable keep it, otherwise save it to combine it with other tier2 runes to get a tier3
rune.

Reason:
This allows you to get runes that are worth at least 80 and on average will be worth
165, so 75 to get a random rune worth 135 is amazing.

The ones that are worth 80 that you receive can then be transformed into a
tier3 rune, this will be equivalent to spending 375 to get a tier 3 rune which is below the
expected value of a tier3 rune. (sometimes you'll get a tier3 rune worth 2050)

Disadvantage: you will end up with runes you dont need.

Lvl 16-20:
Save all your ip points for lvl 21 so that you can buy the runes you actually need in tier3.

Reason: the runes you need will be very important, so wait till lvl21 to get them.

lvl 21 and above: buy the tier3 runes you actually need.

This is very important that you can get the runes you need.
The main runes that I recommend getting first are the runes that give +32 life.

Venzael

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Friend of Urf

06-09-2010

Honestly, I don't think the combiner is worth it. The overall cost to get a rune that you potentially don't even want is way too high for my liking. If you want to buy runes, fine, but make sure you actually want them.
Also, tier 1 runes suffice for pretty much everything until you hit level 30 - they're about 90% cheaper than tier 3 runes and still give about 60% of the bonus. I still buy sets of tier 1 runes until I can replace them with tier 3s, one at a time.

countermage

06-09-2010

If we consider the runes solely in terms of IP.

Values:

Quintessence: (25)
3x515
14x1025
8x2050

Seal: (20)
205 x 5
410 x 11
820 x 4

glyph: (18)
205 x 5
410 x 10
820 x 3

Mark:
205 x 5
410 x 10
820 x 2

Total: (80)
205x15
410x31
820x9
515x3
1025x14
2050x8

Average:

693.25 IP/rune

so by randoming runes from tier1 worth 15 and trading them for tier3 runes gives a
return of 1.83 on IP randomed.

wR Veritas

06-10-2010

I made mistakes when I went through everything and would do differently if I had made a second account. On my new account, I would do and recommend this:

1. Only buy Tier 1 runes until you can afford Tier 3. Tier 2 is not worth it for the middle levels. It just costs too much for the upgrade and Tier 3 is around the corner.
2. Don't use combiner. If you know which runes you should buy, you won't need to use it. Combiner should only be used if you're going to toss a few runes away.
3. Get runes that can be used for multiple champions. Unless your main champion is an attack speed or crit champion, don't get those runes. I would focus on these runes: Armor pent and magic pent for reds (all champions can use those to an extent), hp/lvl or mana regen/lvl yellows - armor or MR if you play tanks, but you can stick with hp/lvl to cover more heroes, flat CD reduction for blues (all champions use that). I would not recommend buying dodge runes until Tier 3 since they are expensive, though it's really nice for Jax or some other champions.

Good luck

Nil Archive

06-10-2010

At level 1-21 you're better off just buying champs imo, provided you're not a smurf who doesn't need to experiment with new heroes.

Cantor

06-11-2010

Keep in mind also which runes are viable to purchase at T3, Good ones, AFAIK can be:
Red - Armor Pen, Magic Pen. (After the crit rework crit chance might be viable, crit damage is definitely not)
Yellow - Dodge, HP, HP/lvl.
Blue - CDR, AP, AP/lvl, Magic Resist, Mp5/lvl
Quints - Armor Pen, HP, Move Speed, (I use GP10 runes, which aren't very good, but I like them because they were cheap, Quints are very expensive, and I can use them with any champ, they let me buy whatever stats I actually need)