how to play with Udyr

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

blackbull 789

06-11-2010

Can anyone tell me how to play with Udyr please, i learn he is good but only if you know how to play with him and I dont.

Jusk

06-11-2010

He is far better off jungling than starting in a lane.

So pick up smite + ghost. No options here really. If not jungling, you can go for cleanse + ghost, but I highly recommend the jungle.

Start with cloth armor + 5 health potions.
Rush to madreds razor.
Get boots of swiftness ASAP
Sheen
turn Madreds Razor into Madreds Bloodrazor
Finish as appropriate ( trinity force if you need more damage, tanky items if you need more survivability, but focus on armor/mr rather than health for tank items)

Innervating locket is extremely nice ( even after nerf) to pick up mid game. I usually get it right after bloodrazor unless team fights are too quick or spread out.

When jungling, if you arent 30 and optimized for it, you probably wont kill golem first. So start with the small camps and hit golem at 2 or 3. After golem hit small camps again then lizard. You should be about 5 now, and can start ganking when you see an opportunity while jungling. At 6-7 you should be able to solo dragon to give your team an xp and gold boost. From this point on, kill him every time he is up. Maintain your blue and red buffs.

For skills I finish with 5/5/5/3. However I save tiger stance for later. To start, I go with phoenix>turtle>phoenix>turtle>bear. Then I take phoenix and turtle to 3, then I bring all skills to 3. Then tiger to 5, turtle to 5, and bear to 5.

Phoenix is a much better jungling and farming tool, and helps you get the gold you need early, while remaining your primary pushing skill in late game. Its very important, but rank 3 is all you need.

I prefer the utility tree for extra xp(makes jungling smoother) and increased jungle buff duration. Those are the main skills you need from utlity, so feel free to go offensive or defensive with leftover points.

When ganking, start with turtle, then bear to catch and stun them. Early game, switch to phoenix and try and get 4 hits in to trigger the proc. After 6 seconds from the first stun, bear again for a new stun. Turtle before stunning so you dont waste stun time or interrupt phoenix procs. Skip turtle if you dont need it ( enemy is running for example).

Late game, you will still treat turtle and bear the same way, but you will rely more on tiger. Tigers 70% AS with this build gives just over 2.0 attack speed, meanign bloodrazor is shredding the enemy. It only procs on the first of your split 3 attacks, but that makes no difference. You are getting a proc more than twice a second. You will have ~160 AD, so your tiger active will hit for about 450 on squishies. Its not worth maximizing AD though IMO. If you are doing very well a sword of the occult is worthwhile for this though. You cant afford too much.

In team fights, Turtle + bear and dart in and out trying to bait them and cause some chaos. If they focus you, you will die, so pull out if they target you. If they dont, run around in bear stunning everyone you can ( hit once and move to next target, the CD on the stun is per target). when you need to dps, tiger, turtle, phoenix, tiger. If you can skip turtle, leave it on tiger for a few seconds to get some nice bloodrazor procs. Your job here is to interrupt ultimates ( especially twitch, kat, fiddle, nunu), creat some chaos, and make sure noone gets away, while putting out dps on your own. It can be a bit difficult to do it right. Just turtle every cooldown when getting hit, bear when stuns are needed, phoenix is good aoe damage just for the active, and tiger is your primary single target damage.

If the enemy team trys to run, you win. You will pick them off one at a time on the way back. they cant get away once you catch them.

Also use bear stuns to help your allies run when needed.

If not jungling, you can wait longer on phoenix, and try and focus on tiger and turtle with 1 in bear until its time for lane pushing ( by mid game you shoudl have 3 in phoenix). Turtle takes priority, because it lets you stay in lane longer. Focus on last hitting creeps. Tank and stun as necessary. Someone with strong first blood ability can benefit from your bear stun at level 1. No jungling also means you probably shouldnt go for bloodrazor unless you are fed. I would stick with AD and utility/tank items, and just use tiger for its active and tower killing. Sharing a lane means less gold and bloodrazor is very expensive.

roninsm

06-11-2010

Get a locket. Faceroll the keyboard. After that you can get pretty much anything. Tank build works, DPS build works too. The main thing is to get a locket.

The guy above me is right that you should jungle though.

Cantor

06-11-2010

kind of true.. get a locket and press whichever button is off CD lol.

Jusk

06-12-2010

You can do some good for your team that way, but it is horrible advice on how to play udyr.

Udyr is probably the strongest chaser, and the strongest 1v1 champ, while being tough enough to melee in a team fight. Just getting locket and mashing anything on CD is going to maximize locket but negate both of these, making you a fail. If you want to go locket and just spam, you are a weaker soraka, and nothing more.

Locket is good on udyr but it is only a small part of playing udyr.