Tier 1 runes seem kind of worthless?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

nevets04

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-10-2010

A lot of the runes on tier 1 seem like they would have a very little effect on your game play. However, I may not fully understand how they work. Take the Lesser Mark of Intellect for example. It says + 3.28 Mana. Now is that per level, or is that really all, just +3.28 Mana?

colloquial

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Emissary of the League

06-10-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendragon View Post

Q: Why Would I get a Tier 1 Rune?
Tier 1 runes are a way for people to level the playing field, while still giving them something to strive for in Tier 3. Tier 1 runes offer 56% of the stats bonus of Tier 3 runes for 8% of the price.
So they are actually pretty nifty. Just buy tier 1 until level 20, then switch over to tier 3.

And as to what you said, Runes aren't meant to make a huge difference, just small ones. And as far as mana runes go, mana regeneration per five runes (seals/glyphs of clarity) are a lot more useful than straight +mana runes.

Hakairyu

06-10-2010

Runes really aren't supposed to make all that much of a difference. Individually, they are weak.

However, in large amounts, they can be pretty scary. If I'm not wrong, 3 Tier 1 HP Quints can still give you about 50 HP. Think about all the times you've thought "phew, got away with less than 50 hp..." or "AUGH I was just 5 HP from surviving that attack", and that's actually pretty nifty. Also, attack speed runes can add up to about... 20% attack speed or so, I believe. That's also not bad.

wR Veritas

06-10-2010

In early level matches, you'll be matched up with other level 1-10 players and at that point, it's all about having the extra edge over the other players. If you have extra hp, damage, regen points that the other player doesn't have, you are at a clear advantage. In early game before players start to get gear, the extra edge plays a large role in being able to stay in the lane or forced to recall.

TKana

06-11-2010

One tier 1 rune is pretty worthless. But 10 is a lot better. Im like level 12 or something on my smurf, and i took some crit runes. That about 4% crit, which is pretty neat. Once you get tier 3 runes and a full runebook, it would be around 20% crit, which is amazing.

Stacking one stat with tier 3 runes give you about 1000g on items (20%-ish crit, 40%-ish attackspeed, etc etc). Tier 3 runes are obviously worth it. Tier 1 runes only give about 50% of the stats, but costs a LOT less, only about 10% of the tier 3 costs. A worthwhile investment for IP starving new players.

TKana

06-11-2010

also, you can use the combiner to upgrade those tier 1 runes to tier 3 Random tieer 3, but tier 3 none the less.

SomniumProxy

06-11-2010

I'd also like to add that mana per level and health per level runes work as a catalyst. They give the amount both to your maximum and current health, working as a semi-heal. It may seem small, but my full mana/level sets gives me over 40 mana per level. Enough to make a difference and cast a bonus spell :P

Fallen 62

06-11-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevets04 View Post
A lot of the runes on tier 1 seem like they would have a very little effect on your game play. However, I may not fully understand how they work. Take the Lesser Mark of Intellect for example. It says + 3.28 Mana. Now is that per level, or is that really all, just +3.28 Mana?
The runes that work per level say "x.xx mana at level 18 (x.xx per level)" or something like that. If they just say +3.28 mana, that's a flat rate and stays that way.

And T1 runes aren't all that bad, especially if you get a whole page of them. As someone posted, they're 56% of the stat for 8% of the price of a T3 rune. Do not buy a T2 rune, though. T1 and T3 are all you'll need to buy. They don't give you a major edge, but they do give you an edge nonetheless

Zodiacshape

06-11-2010

I still use tier 1 runes cause tier 3 is so dang expensive. Tier 1 runes can make some difference but nothing like tier 3 "9xmp5(at 18) seals" for example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevets04 View Post