We need a Champion Counter Guide for Draft

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Machinima

08-03-2010

Now that we have draft mode I think we need a counter guide. I know we have a counter guide already listed in the guide list, but that one gives guidelines to counter each champion, whereas I would like to see Champ A counters Champ B either a hard counter or soft.

For example...
Karthus
soraka (hard counter)

Soraka
kat (soft counter)
poppy (soft counter)

heimer
nunu (soft counter)

etc... (these are just examples I'm not sure if those are legitimate counters)

This way I could know which champs to choose depending on what the other team chooses. I would love to make a guide myself... but I don't know enough. Anyone up to the challenge? Is there some guide like this already out there that I don't know about?

edit: one of the replies posted this
http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...d.php?t=171733
hope it is helpful for everyone =)

Leirkov

08-03-2010

Isn't Nunu a hard counter to Heimer since he pretty much shuts him down completely?

Machinima

08-03-2010

eh yeah, maybe you are right, I have only seen one nunu attempt it in my game and he was only semi successful, the heimer kept moving to different lanes and nunu would follow with some success.

Guinsoo

Game Designer

08-03-2010
1 of 1 Riot Posts

I'd be curious to know where you guys think the soft/hard counters lie, and ultimately how successful counterpicking is versus simply picking the best available and meshing with your team.

Mr Geppetto

08-03-2010

I have zero ranked games, but based on situations that have popped up throughout my LoL experience I'd say picking a hardcounter > picking w/e is available. Obviously it's not going to help if everyone goes so far out of their way that your team can get hardcountered by things like item choice, but counterpicking while still minding team comp shouldn't be too difficult since one of them is all but instinct by the time you hit 30.

Nunu vs. Heimer makes Heimer cry, but you really don't need to go that far. Nasus' Spirit Fire, Morgana's Black Soil and even Ez's Mystic Shot are all pretty efficient options for taking down turrets. All three of those champs are known to be more viable in a competitive scenario than Nunu, with Ez and Nasus generally agreed upon as top-tier.

Machinima

08-03-2010

yeah good point guinsoo.

I'm sub 1200 elo in ranked and so far I don't see people counter pick very often, its usually about get a tank or 2, get a dps, some cc and you're good. But it'd be much more fun if people would put a lot of emphasis on counter picking, that's the whole point of draft imo.

Thanorodd

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-03-2010

I only played 36 games of ranked, but based on my experience in both normal and ranked games, I don't feel like this game has any counters that are significant enough to warrant counter-picking, except in the occasional case of needing healing reduction.

Out of my array of played champions, I have never really looked at another champion and thought "he's really scary to me" except for Xin Zhao pre-nerf.

Countering healing is a sound strategy however, one that a lot of people overlook when faced with a Taric or Soraka.

I'd like to see counter-picking be a viable strategy in champ select, but at the same time, I don't want the metagame to be all about countering what the other team picks to get your pre-game edge. It would be nice for it to fall somewhere in the middle (between counter-picking being useless and being the only way to go) but I'm not sure that is possible. It is a pretty fine line.

EDIT: That said, I'd rather counter-picking be useless than for the metagame to revolve around it. My 2 cents.

Chlorinekid

08-03-2010

well even just an added note: heavy AD team : Rammus
heavy AP team : Galio
or even items to counter champions because not many of the new players would know to buy a bloodrazor if there are some troublesome tanks i think just getting knoew players oriented with this kind of stuff will adjust them to thinking about the items they get and not just a build they got on the web or the recommended items list

Asaryu Sinon

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-03-2010

Is this thread the same as this?
http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...d.php?t=171733

Cheesemaker

08-04-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chlorinekid View Post
well even just an added note: heavy AD team : Rammus
heavy AP team : Galio
or even items to counter champions because not many of the new players would know to buy a bloodrazor if there are some troublesome tanks i think just getting knoew players oriented with this kind of stuff will adjust them to thinking about the items they get and not just a build they got on the web or the recommended items list
...who the eff is Galio?