Character Unlock Prices

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Syllen

06-10-2010

Before I start with this, I'd like to say that this isn't a complaint, before anyone makes that interpretation.

My question is about unlocking characters permanently and the cost in points, and what the difference in points might signify. Do newer characters just cost more points to unlock, are they priced according to popularity, or is it just an unknown bias toward those characters, or are they in fact considered more powerful than the lower cost characters; and thus priced higher.

Helidead09

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-10-2010

Generally the more points it costs, the harder the champ is to use. Points dont signify how powerful a champ is. On the contrary, most people generally agree that some of the more powerful champs are in the lower tiers.

Muramas

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-10-2010

You might want to read this post, it has some good discussions about IP costs.
http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...d.php?t=132389

Kajitii

06-10-2010

Certain champions are priced significantly higher just to prevent new people from falling into a trap full of "unfun" due to how complicated or bizarre a champion can be. Keep in mind, like others have said, IP cost doesn't determine how good a champion is.

Let's compare and contrast for a bit with two different champions and their abilities (since everything else is more or less the same).

Let's look at Ashe, who is worth 450 IP. Her skills are pretty straightforward, and people wouldn't make much of a mistake on how to use her skills, with the exception of her ultimate.
--The passive Focus really isn't involved in combat, but it does give an extra boost to crit. chance whenever she's not in combat. Very newbie friendly.
--Frost Shot is a simple toggle ability. Not much worry on when to use it, just fire at will and hope you can kill the enemy before it runs away.
--Volley is just click and spray. It's easy to hit someone with it, and it does extra damage.
--Plentiful Bounty gives extra gold. (actually this is more of a newbie trap by eating your ability points, but it still helps)
--Enchanted Crystal Arrow is another click and fire that's pretty fast. Of course, to get the most out of it requires a bit of thinking, but you gotta start your innovation somewhere, right?

Now let's look at Anivia, who is worth 6300 IP and is at the top of the price range. Note that just because I say bad things, doesn't mean she's horribly underpowered, it just means you have to be more of an expert.
--Rebirth isn't exactly going to save your ass if you go rambo. It sounds nice in reading, but in practice you'll often die if you aren't careful anyways.
--Flash Frost is a skill shot with an extra twist. Yes, it goes through multiple enemies, and yes it slows people down. But that's rather subpar, considering its mana cost and damage. What you really want to do is trigger the skill again so that it explodes for extra damage and stun the enemy for even more damage. But this won't happen very often, if at all, if you let the projectile fly to the maximum range. This presents three "obstacles" to new people: you have to predict where the enemy will go in order to land your skill shot, you have to be able to time your button presses for maximum damage which also demands a bit of micromanagement, and the optimum strategy is not inherently intuitive for anyone new to Anivia.
--Crystallize... oh boy, if there's ever a skill that can backfire, this is it. It creates a wall that blocks everyone that doesn't have a teleport/flash type skill. It's possible to shut out a team mate and leave him to die a horrible death at the hands of the other team. Highly situational, and requires experience to read hypothetical situations and determine their outcomes. New people would have enough problems trying to determine the outcome of ONE situation, let alone the unusual situations and combos you can create with Crystallize.
--Frostbite is a standard shot of magic damage. You won't get much out of it unless you synergize it with Flash Frost and/or Glacial Storm, and it also has a pathetically short range of use. This may be the easiest skill Anivia has.
--Glacial Storm is an ultimate, sure, but just because it has a short cooldown and is abusable doesn't mean it's all that great. Its damage compared to mana consumption is pretty bad, and if chucking a spell is like a shot glass from your mana pool, Glacial Storm is like chugging the whole pool until you decide to stop. Glacial Storm can also be used to control the opponents to a certain extent. So that's more micromanagement (especially if you go into doing one of dozens of combos Anivia is capable of), more hypothetical situation reading, and a need to manage your mana pool.

Unrelated fact: if you take the digits of the IP cost of a champion and add them all up, it'll always come out to be 9.

Zoro The Otter

06-10-2010

Except Karthus and maybe Twitch. They're 6300 because they are so powerful.

EmissaryShadow

Emissary of the League

06-10-2010

Dev Quote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zileas View Post
We charge more if:
1) hard to learn
and/or
2) high production values/very fun
So if a character requires lots of new engineering its expensive, if he's all skillshots and combo timing, its expensive.

Syllen

06-10-2010

I can tell that a character like Anivia plays well to that explanation, but what about Kennen? I forget what his exact cost at the moment is, but I know it's somewhere into the thousands. It may be that I just work well with his style of play, but using him doesn't come off as very difficult at all.

Changing over to Ashe (my first character that I bought), it's true that as a character, her skillset is pretty straight forward. But it always seems like it's much more difficult for me to use her effectively than Kennen. I would have to assume then, by the information in the provided link, that Kennen's price is due to the fun and productive cost portion then.

I guess that makes sense. It doesn't bother me that the prices differ or anything, I was just curious. Thanks for the input.

Ceryn

06-10-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoro The Otter View Post
Not true in the slightest. I have seen many fail twitches. Karth also requires a good understanding of the game to benefit from his abilities. You have to be able to watch other lanes for ganks involving your Ult while not neglecting your own lane. Neither of those champs or OP compared to their cheaper counterparts.

Hakairyu

06-11-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoro The Otter View Post
Karthus is hard to use well. If you think about it, he suffers from the same problems as Kennen, although he packs a lot more firepower (a trade-off for having less reliable CC, and no escape). He has to wade into a group of enemies to deal his throughput (Lay Waste + Defile), and it is easy to screw up as a caster who has to go into melee. Also, map watching for his ult. It's also pretty hard to land his Wall of Pain in an effective position.

That might also be why Kennen's so high up - he may be easy to pick up and play, but his role is innately dangerous and his escape is unreliable due to the energy cost.

Twitch is easy to play badly, although I wouldn't say he is difficult by any sense of the word. A player who is good with most heroes can easily pick up Twitch and play him well on their first game with him - however, I've seen my fair share of Twitch-es that just made me facepalm.