Playing to be Evil: The Darker Side of LoL [2.0]

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

rambo

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Adjudicator

09-24-2009

This is like everything I've ever learned from years of playing MOBAs all spilled onto a page. Great job putting this into words.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TheHeretic

Senior Member

09-24-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreshadowed View Post
PS, talking **** isn't a strategy/doesn't work, obvious troll is obvious.
When Josh Waitzkin, a child chess prodigy, was playing Russian immigrants who were highly trained at the game, he found he'd always make mistakes during the most crucial moments against them. One game against a 15 year old russian boy he noticed the Russian would tap his piece rhythmically during important moments. Whilst the sound was barely audible the pacing ruined his (and many others) concentration: it was something Russian's had been taught to do to gain leverage in games.

The practice is banned today, but the fact remains playing with the opponents mind can be very effective. Smack talking is an easy chance to do such a thing.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Bijyu

Senior Member

09-24-2009

Interesting guide, agreeable on many counts. However the part about quitting or surrendering is stupid. though I do suppose that if you followed this guide the enemy team is going to be ripping into you with all their rage now that they are winning so putting up with that might be "un-fun" but only really have yourself to blame when you are trying to play the psychological game.

I have had far too many (probably 5-10% of my total games played) games where someone on my team goes (we lose /surrender) and not 5 minutes later we are in the enemy base.

I think someone else on these forums summed it up greatly "bad players who think they are good surrender at the first sign of defeat, good players know there is a chance for a comeback until the very end" or something along those lines.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Foreshadowed

Senior Member

09-25-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHeretic View Post
When Josh Waitzkin, a child chess prodigy, was playing Russian immigrants who were highly trained at the game, he found he'd always make mistakes during the most crucial moments against them. One game against a 15 year old russian boy he noticed the Russian would tap his piece rhythmically during important moments. Whilst the sound was barely audible the pacing ruined his (and many others) concentration: it was something Russian's had been taught to do to gain leverage in games.

The practice is banned today, but the fact remains playing with the opponents mind can be very effective. Smack talking is an easy chance to do such a thing.

Playing with the opponents mind? You're weak minded


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TheHeretic

Senior Member

09-25-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreshadowed View Post
Playing with the opponents mind? You're weak minded
XD


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Twigg

Senior Member

09-25-2009

Just...amazing


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Zeyk

Member

09-25-2009

Just because it helps you win is not an excuse to trash talk in a casual game. If you do that you are an *******. There is such a thing as going too far - grow up and show some restraint.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Mr Tibbers

Member

09-25-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeyk View Post
Just because it helps you win is not an excuse to trash talk in a casual game. If you do that you are an *******. There is such a thing as going too far - grow up and show some restraint.
Hardly trash talk. The stuff he suggests you say aren't nearly as bad as some of what I see nearly every game.

"I really thought you were a good player", or "kinda reckless" isn't really all that bad. In other words, I don't think you get exactly what he means. He even says NOT to just say stuff like "lol noob" or other obviously aimed tactics at angering someone. :/


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TheHeretic

Senior Member

09-25-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tibbers View Post
Hardly trash talk. The stuff he suggests you say aren't nearly as bad as some of what I see nearly every game.

"I really thought you were a good player", or "kinda reckless" isn't really all that bad. In other words, I don't think you get exactly what he means. He even says NOT to just say stuff like "lol noob" or other obviously aimed tactics at angering someone. :/
Well ethics aside when you start swearing and such you show a higher level of emotional investment and come across as someone to be ignored. Being dismissively snide is more irritating to the opponent, allows you to stay within what most people would call "acceptable taunting" and has the most dramatic impact on other players.

The information is there, you can use it to both start ignoring smack talk and learn the best way to do it yourself!

I've seen far more offensive stuff in games than anything i've ever said and at least I do it for the purpose of trying to win and not just generally being a dick.

But really people, look at the thread title, what were you expecting? Rainbow jpgs?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

feardragon

Senior Member

09-25-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreshadowed View Post
Playing with the opponents mind? You're weak minded
You were probably the kid who thought poker was the game of the devil right?
What! You lied to me about your hand? You're going to hell!