How could I improve my gameplay?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Dephei

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-10-2010

I play LoL for about 3 weeks now, but still feel nooby.
I know most of the items effects without looking to description. I know most hero skills, even know names of most popular skills. I fairly decently dodge skillshots. I use sight wards, oracle if there is stealth hero. I announce MIA's and ping at right times.
Still, many time I get raged at, and called noob.

I play from 0 to 7 games a day.
Some days I can go on winning streak and feel awesome, but last couple days I lose 75% of the time and get really negative K/D Is it that I came to higher ELO bracket or something else?

My favorite heroes are burst damage dealers and consistent damage dealers. I prefer ranged over melee too.
I like being offensive and aggrisive. BDing too. And willing to die for a greater good

So my questions are:
1) How should gameplay change in higher elo, after passing low elo tier.
2) Which champions would one recommend for my playstyle?

Santos L Helper

06-10-2010

I'm new too so take my words of advice with a grain of salt, but I think the most common pitfall with us newbs is just being way to overly aggressive. Chasing after opposing champions and getting ganked/tower killed, etc. I used to always try to chase after opponents not realizing that if I get killed my team is at a disadvantage 1)b/c we are down a player temporarily and 2) the opponent gets gold for the kill and can also farm minnions easier for more gold and exp. I find that if you have an opponent dont attack them unless you can either kill them or severaly hurt them and not get hurt much yourself. It's a long ways to 18 levels so the decisions you make at lv1 affect you a LOT. Playing smart and defensive yet opportunistic seems to work the best for me.

With Champs I don't have a ton of advice b/c I think you should just play with what you find most fun and I can't tell you that. What I do is just look at their abilities/stats and decide if the descriptions seem to fit my desired playstle. I like Warwick b/c of his burst and speed. He is pretty bad early on, but once you get to around lv10 he is better than most champions imo.

SomniumProxy

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-10-2010

Santos touched a critical point. The biggest bridge between an inexperienced and a more advanced player is judging the situation, being flexible and adapting your style/build. This is something difficult to tell in words but generally can be discribed as knowing your limit. Pushing exactly as far as possible, IWTHOUT overdoing it, because that would mean to die. You need to be able to evaluate a situation with high sertainty and engage as many favorable battles as possible, why disengaging when you feel at a disadvantage.

You should be able to take advantage of an early enemy weakness and push towers. Also, you should be able to adapt a more defencive style/item build if you feel things are going bad. A lot fo players stick to their primary set without taking into account that things have changed.

This is something that takes time. But if you want to learn faster, try to do this: everytime you die or loose an inhib, think about what happened and what you could have done better. Try to find your mistake and mind it next time. After each game - no matter victory or defeat, take your time (5-10 min) to look at everyones build, scores, to think about what went good and what went wrong, which mistakes did the teams make, what decided the game. If you really think about thoose things, you'll learn to find game changing elements and to exploit them.

Generally the thing that describes noobs is that in a fight, they can't localise the exact source of damage and the crucial factors. This doesn't last too long though. However, in a smimilar way, people can't tell what exactly turned the game and when. Try to put your finger on precise elements - this push was fatal, looosing this guy before battle lost us the game, we gave dragon too often to the enemy team, we were overrun by people with rune buffs, game was even but we kreeped and they took nashor and won, etc. Knowing exactly what makes a victory will allow you to take advantage of it.

R66Y

06-10-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santos L Helper View Post
I'm new too so take my words of advice with a grain of salt, but I think the most common pitfall with us newbs is just being way to overly aggressive. Chasing after opposing champions and getting ganked/tower killed, etc. I used to always try to chase after opponents not realizing that if I get killed my team is at a disadvantage 1)b/c we are down a player temporarily and 2) the opponent gets gold for the kill and can also farm minnions easier for more gold and exp. I find that if you have an opponent dont attack them unless you can either kill them or severaly hurt them and not get hurt much yourself. It's a long ways to 18 levels so the decisions you make at lv1 affect you a LOT. Playing smart and defensive yet opportunistic seems to work the best for me.
Excellent advice.

Most new players (and plenty of seasoned ones) get focused on kills and are too aggressive as a result. There are times that being aggressive works well, but I have found that a more conservative approach works better for new players. Aggressive play is geared toward winning the game. In most games, it can be very difficult for a single person to win the game by themselves (even good carries need their team to be at least reasonably competent to get to the point where they can mop the floor with the other team). Defensive/conservative play is geared towards NOT LOSING the game. Just browse the forums and look at all the QQ threads about feeders/AFKers/noobs/etc. One player can easily lose the game for his team. Unfortunately, an aggressive player who fails often ends up BEING the person that feeds the other team. It is much easier to play conservatively and let the other team make mistakes, especially at lower levels.

As you get better, you will get a better sense of what you can and can't do and as a result will be able to be aggressive more successfully more often. Start by focusing on surviving and learning how to keep from dying, then focus on getting kills.

Dephei

06-10-2010

Thank you for your in-depth replies.
I think my most mistakes come from focusing on kills. After all, I undestand that winning is about destroying nexus and not about having uber cool KDA ratio.
Thus I get outleveled why I try to get kills.

I try to think about all your tips in my next games.
I really appreciate all the help.

Thank You!

Paralakz

Adjudicator

06-10-2010

The best advice I can offer you is actually pretty vague but carries a lot of meaning. Here it is:
Situational play is FAR more important than Champion play. Knowing what positions to be in and at what time is honestly one of the best things you can know. People being out of position loses more games than you can possibly imagine. Also, knowing when to get in and out of fights, when to push, defend, fight, run, heal and many other things are for more important than individual champion play.

My best advice for you is to play champions your comfortable with, but focus on people's positioning and their nuances as opposed to their champions and actions.

I hope this helps...

Phatpug

06-10-2010

It helped me out a lot. Its has taken me some time to adjust my thinking to the patient early game that LoL requires, instead of bombing in for kills as soon as you spawn.

TKana

06-10-2010

I have to agree with most other posters here. Your biggest enemies are greed, awereness and bliss.

Greed: Going for that one extra kill, which you might or might not get, but getting you killed in the meanwhile. Example: say you are alone and you are facing 4 enemies. One of them has 1 HP, so would die if you hit him with pretty much anything. The other three have enough CC to kill you shold you try. You attack, kill him and get 300 g. They all attack you and kill you. The one getting the killing blow gets 300g, but the rest gets gold aswell. That means they actually made more gold then you. Always a bad choice.

Awereness: Like everyone above me already stated, this is what changes at mid ELO. You dont go out alone, you spend half your time watching the minimap to see who you can gank and where he is. You are absolutely carefull when people go MIA.

Bliss: Knowing what your opponent can do gives you a significant edge. Older players have played more characters and know exactly how these characters work and may know counter you never thought off. I recommend playing every champion availible during their free week. It doesnt matter of you win or loose, its about knowing how an ability work, what its range is, what type of damage to expect, what the cooldown is and when in game you can expect it.

JonnyThinkChamp

06-11-2010

"People being out of position loses more games than you can possibly imagine."

This is so true. Get it in your head.

A) NO-ONE should be running around alone. Anywhere. Ever.
B) The MAP. This thing saves lives, creates ganks, earns you more gold than everyone else... Use it. Never ever blame someone else for no 'Miss' call, it's YOUR fault. That map shows big red circles, all 5 of them. If there is no big red circles on the map and you are alone(shouldn't be anyway!) then guess what, you are about to die.

Seriously. I've seen level 30's with 300 wins with such poor gameplay because their map awareness was a joke. It should get to the point where you can pretty much predict where your enemies are at all times.

Edwy

The Council

06-11-2010

Practice.
Learn from your mistakes.
Have good map awareness.
Watch a livestreams of people playing.

www.livestream.com/clgame
www.livestream.com/messiahwins

Both are good ones.