An Expert's Guide to 'Noobs'

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

okrichie

06-11-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by un1337 View Post
*round of applause*

if everyone was nice to newbs, newbs would stay newbs instead of trying harder to better themselves after every insult
That's one way of doing things and you're free to have that opinion. That said, the community, or at least the majority of people talking in this thread seem to primarily agree that there are more productive approaches over bullying someone to improve their game.

okrichie

06-11-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonushand View Post
I've been trying to improve in this aspect, and let me tell you, it is not easy.

Here are some tips for the jerks like myself out there who are trying to improve:

Do it in steps:

1.Next game, make yourself only say mean things out loud, DONT TYPE THEM. (especially not in caps)

2. Gradually make yourself eliminate the mean things altogether, and start typing more "good jobs" than "you're a noob".

3.Reflect after each game on how you did. Apologize if your frustration got the better of you. If you haven't already been ignored, it may help both you and the person you called a noob.

I'll keep trying! If you see me in game and I get angry, please forgive me, I've lost control of myself!
That's very admirable. You're thinking about the other people you play with and that's all a community can ask really. No one expects everyone to adhere to playing nice all the time and no one expects perfection in game (they shouldn't anyway), there'll always be some name calling and a few tears and sad pandas.

It's a competition after all. If everyone tried, as you do, to be a little bit more constructive, it would go a long way.

okrichie

06-11-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essinem View Post
I disagree, if someone is doing poorly they'll know it themselves without needing to be told.

All insulting someone does is make them angry at you and refuse to surrender just to piss you off.
Another great point right here. Like I said, being a so called noob doesn't make you an idiot.

okrichie

06-11-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corpsestomp View Post
I agree with both points. And if I'm using a new champion(after a practice game or two) then I will refuse to surrender if you're a huge whiner since I didn't play 30 practice games before wanting to get some IP.

Also, the comment about saying things out loud instead of typing...I do that ALL the time. If I die because I expected backup and didn't get it, or one of my teammates has died multiple times to the same combo of moves, I yell at my screen. It's just not worth the effort to type it.
And it does feel good to yell out loud sometimes

Crannicus

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-11-2010

The worst thing that has happened to me personally is being chewed out for trying a new champion in practice mode, so I agree with you entirely on that point. Practice matches don't count toward overall win/loss ratio, so why do people stress out so much in their practice games? Unless it's a game where the person has said specifically, "I need the IP from a win here", I will usually take the opportunity to try a new hero; either to get the feel of a potential future champion, or to learn the champion enough to be able to counter it.

The worst thing I've seen was in a regular game. We had an Eve player on our team who didn't support her lanemate in top on kills or defense (literally three or four kills eluded him because of the Eve player's lack of co-operation), called him a noob every time he overextended expecting support and was killed, screamed over team and all chat that his team sucked whenever we lost footing in lane, and complained when our Ashe player finished an enemy who had just barely slipped out of his grasp with a well-placed ECE, saying he'd 'stolen' the kill. Even though we won the game, he said "bad game" and "noob team" at the end, in spite of being the worst feeder on the team. Even our opponents were annoyed.

In general, these types of players contribute nothing to the team. I also find that often, the loudest complainer is one of the worst players on the team, usually because they're too busy typing to actually play.

Also-also, thanks for the point on pinging. Sometimes I forget to say why I'm pinging, and yes, it does cause some confusion. I'll keep it in mind in future games.

Redenbacher

06-11-2010

Great post, I've been saying pretty much everything here for as long as I can remember. There's just no point in berating and trash talking your team.

The opponents... well, that has some psychological advantages depending on how you do it... but that's why we have /ignore.

Just not your team. You're only further solidifying your loss as you waste time rage-typing rather than doing something productive in the game.

EDIT: (Response to Above Post) Practice games is a dynamic in LoL that has me completely confused, and something I will avoid entirely, except to try a brand-new champion against bots. Why do level 30s, with 300+ wins, play characters in Practice Games that they main, or have otherwise plenty of experience with? I try practice games with new characters, even games titled 'new characters' and get stomped by 30s who roll mains. What do I learn from that other than what I already know?

okrichie

06-11-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goon Squ4d View Post
I agree with this for the most part but i also feel trash talk is hand and hand with anything competitive.Everyone loves a momma joke now and then lol I feel people should not take to heart things some stranger over the internet says to heart. Id rather be a noob and have fun playin then be pro and let a few mistakes ruin the entire game for me so they are the ones losein out imo
Agreed. Part of communication involves teasing and being mean sometimes and it's important to have a thicker skin to handle a reprimand every once in a while.

It's more about the conduct though. There are ways and means of handling people you don't like, and in certain circumstances, some methods are more appropriate than others.

For example, as I mentioned, practice games really aren't primarily focussed on competition. They're focussed on learning and development.

okrichie

06-11-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisaroth View Post
I agree with most things you said but how do you handle people who just don't listen when you give them useful advice?
I really lose my patience when i tell someone boots are the best item in the game but if he keeps ignoring you and keeps feeding the other team, than i start insulting. I can't stand people who intentionally ruin it.

Btw, their is something that keeps haunting me: The difference in fall-acceleration at the poles and at the equinox, is it caused by the difference in the earth radius or is it caused by the rotation speed of the earth?
I believe it's caused by the rotation but my teachers always told me it's due to the difference in radius.
You can't win every battle. Some people will never listen. But theoretically they will either learn to listen or eventually not stick around long enough for you to see them again.

There are very few people that will never listen.

There is unfortunately a small percentage of people that don't communicate, at some point you have to draw the line; you can't save everyone but you don't need to insult them either :P

Also if they didn't listen to you before you insult them, I'm pretty sure it wont make a difference if your tone changes anyway so focus on the game instead.

By the way when I said 'you' above I wasn't referring to you personally. Sorry for the confusion.

okrichie

06-11-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atticus Alistair View Post
Great post,

For me, a 27 year old, it comes down to this. Do you want to be a raging child, or do you want to step up and be a leader?

Also, if someone is so terrible, then they can't have a good ELO. If they don't have a good ELO, then why did they get matched in a game with you? Oh, because you don't have a good ELO either.
Just blew your mind right there didn't I?
Your first sentence sounds amazing.

Your last sentence makes perfect sense.

Awesome.

okrichie

06-11-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisaroth View Post
I agree with most things you said but how do you handle people who just don't listen when you give them useful advice?
I really lose my patience when i tell someone boots are the best item in the game but if he keeps ignoring you and keeps feeding the other team, than i start insulting. I can't stand people who intentionally ruin it.

Btw, their is something that keeps haunting me: The difference in fall-acceleration at the poles and at the equinox, is it caused by the difference in the earth radius or is it caused by the rotation speed of the earth?
I believe it's caused by the rotation but my teachers always told me it's due to the difference in radius.
Forgot to respond to the physics question, sorry. Someone else already mentioned some ideas so I'll throw in my bit too..

Both ideas are correct, the shape of the earth has some effect on this but the predominant effect is caused by the centre of gravity of the Earth (assuming you know about centres of gravity?) being further away at these points therefore feeling a weaker gravitational accelleration.

I'm not a gravitational physicist but gravitational accelleration works essentially by an inverse square law.

i.e. Grav Acc = 1/distance^2

Which in simplest terms mean, the further away from the gravitational body, the weaker the force you feel. Hence the 'weightlessness' phenomenon in space.