An Expert's Guide to 'Noobs'

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Revolver Ocelot

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-11-2010

Wow the love i feel between you guys is astounding. I am honoured to have read your well thought out arguments. Oh well, I guess i'll take a side. Mr Bluefall, do you recall a game on 06-09-10? A game in which you went the champion rammus. Your score was 23-3-3. Items included: occult, tabi, bloodrazor, bloodthirster and black cleaver. Lol. Rammus is not a friggen dps. His AS isnt high enough to support friggen bloodrazor - HES NOT A DPS! hes a tank. If you can manage to get that score with a DPS rammus build, your ELO must be extremely low. Okay enough of that.

Great Post Richard! +1
Although, i think noob has officially been added to the dictionary, or they are planning about it or something. I remember hearing about it and loling.

Don't go on my profile and bag my games. Those kennen games were stricly for teh lulz! And i did so with a premade team who also did stupid builds. Amazingly we won some

Mooiboy

06-11-2010

Wow, you really are/were frustrated were'nt you? Well i totally agree with you.. I really think this will always be the gamingculture. Hopefully this message will change a bit..

MercMan

06-11-2010

well said,holmes

okrichie

06-11-2010

Phew! I get back from work and find some serious discussion in here! I'll do my best to get some replies up here.

okrichie

06-11-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odinson View Post
Good Guide

I especially like this part...

hehe colloquialisms even tho it is ironic it might be a little bit to big of a word for "noobs"

Also whenever I hear some one being called a noob I can't help but think that everyone was a noob at one point. So don't get down on em, and I personally would rather be a noob than a jerk.
You're probably right on that one, it is somewhat of a strong term, but then again, I haven't written gospel here, just opinion :P

I agree, everyone was new to the game at one point or another, even if only for the first game.

okrichie

06-11-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corpsestomp View Post
Well-written and thoughtful, Richard. I hope people read this and take it to heart.

I stick by a few simple rules when in-game:
1. First person to complain is the worst person on your team. No exceptions.
2. Boasting or name-calling after you've won makes you a d-bag. No exceptions.
3. Ask people why they're using item A vs item B. I used to just say "A is bad, use B." Explain why A is better than B, don't just whine about it.
4. Try to help people if they're struggling in a lane, etc. Don't just leave because they're 'bad'.

In general, just be an excellent person, regardless of teammates/opponents.
Some good philosophy there, people that jump to complaints so easily are too focussed on negativity and I doubt they're really having much fun. It isn't fair to ruin that for others. There's plenty of other options, many of which I've seen others discussing in this thread.

okrichie

06-11-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeditationError View Post
Bravo!

I do think you could have allowed more room for genuinely bad play though, and potentially fruitful ways to handle it.

As one example from a recent game, I had an ashe on our team who was feeding, charging in against two or more enemies and dying repeatedly, getting only an occasional kill.

I was playing Amumu, so rather than raging, I babysat.

Ashe was still overly aggressive, but I manged to provide enough support that her feeding them became me feeding her. She got some better gear, the team fights naturally built up around us, and we ending up winning. A friend in the game agreed that we won the game as a result of accomodating for the weaknesses in her playstyle.

Playing well with noobs is an important skill that will win you games, and ironically move you up the ladder away from noobs.
Feel free to continue your elaboration. Some people play badly and always will others just have bad games sometimes. It's also worth considering that a contributing factor to winning can be down to a team just not working well together.

If winning is a priority, I'm going to imagine that it's better to try to push all avenues to their maximum potential. In other words, you're more likely to reach victory if you try to work as a team (amongst working towards other goals) as opposed to trying to sabotage your teams efforts by being insulting.

It's worth noting I don't expect perfection from everyone all the time. It's not always going to be a day at the beach in every game. I just think some people need to be a little more thoughful. Primarily a lot of the insults I see floating around come about illogically. If someone makes a really bad argument that makes little to no sense then it wont be taken seriously making the insult void on many levels.

okrichie

06-11-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilchymis View Post
1. First person to complain is the worst person on your team. No exceptions.
2. Boasting or name-calling after you've won makes you a d-bag. No exceptions.

This is totally true for every game I have ever played. For another idea, I HEARTILY recommend the use of the ignore command. Usually I'll give someone some leniency, but if you start hating on your teammates you get the /ignore real fast.

I find the game much more enjoyable this way.

The ignore command is really useful. Especially if someone is trolling around. It's just a shame to have to use it when you know that a little improved communication could turn the game from a loss into a victory.

okrichie

06-11-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonook View Post
stfu and learn 2 play Richard.

Stop feeding.

Noob.
You're not my real dad!

okrichie

06-11-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draik View Post
Well i totaly agree with you and in contrast to the one who said this doesnt happen in Lol he is wrong.

i have seen so much teammates blame the feeder and behave in such a imature way it sometimes make me sick. a particulary common case is the when you win a game and when you say "gg" the other people start to say "bg this suc k..etc". And the wost of all is to find people blaming others when they are the one who screwed the whole team (that do pis s me off)

people tend to give so much importance to winning or loosing they sometimes forget this is just a game and we all have a real life to take care of.

personally i play just for fun i dont care about my ELO and i usually do arranged with people i know they are not so good in the game. also, i never use insults as i believe they are useless in a game, if i have something to say i will give constructive advice telling him what should he do.

finally i would like to clarify an important mistake people tend to do. NOOB is someone who is just su cks but think of himself as the best of all (anoying people). people who make mistakes or are just new in the game are NEWBIES or AMATEUR.

Agreed on the semantics, there's a definite difference between a 'noob' and someone that just bought the game.

I don't completely agree with you on the win vs fun side of things. It is about fun, definitely. It's also about playing competitively, that's what makes the game interesting. It's how much emphasis we put on winning and how we conduct ourselves to that end.

As I suggested, if you're playing a practise game, I don't think it's fair to expect to win. If you're playing a normal game, I can definitely expect people to see winning as important, that's what normal games are all about. Getting upset in practise games is a major issue, getting upset in normal games I can understand more though I still don't think there's any need for us to turn into a jerk because they're losing. They need to learn to lose better!