An Expert's Guide to 'Noobs'

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Booshin

01-25-2011

Interesting read.

First off, I had only minimal experience with DotA, mostly because by the time I started it was so incredibly stacked against new players (i.e. there were generally quizes on obscure item prices by the host. Get a price wrong, you're not allowed to play)

A game that doesn't make room for new players is like a panda that won't have *** to save the species; it's only a matter of time before it's extinct. That's why we're all playing LoL now instead of DotA Two: Live Free or Defend Hard

That being said...people are going to be mean. People will troll. This is the internet. Being anonymous is like being invisible; it will be abused. If your feelings are too fragile to deal with the occasionally "stop feeding" or "ur an idiot, why stack 6 basic boots?" then you really shouldn't play LoL...honestly, you should stay the hell away from the internet, it's like the wild west...if the wild west was full of sweaty, chubby 40 yr olds...

Of course, this doens't mean being a **** is okay. Constructive criticism is the only real way. 9/10 insulting a person who's doing badly will just make them want to quit. Both players are being petty. It happens. A lot. If you want to win, try and coach them, be polite, explain how they can be better. But, honestly, if someone either a.) ignores polite advice or b.) responds negatively to it...i'm going to be mean to them. They've ruined my game and had the gumption to play awful and then get offended when I try to help.

However, if the person tries their best, listens, and is obviously just starting, then I'll do my best to help them and not CAPSRAGE at them for 40 mins.

There is, of course, the distinction between a 'bad' player and a 'new' player. I think Riot doesn't a decent job of scaling matchmaking so that low lvl players are up against those at a close, if not even lvl. I think they could do a better job, especially in normal games, but I think they're working on it.

Basically, when you're new, you should be playing against other newbies. When you're experienced...Riot shouldn't drop lvl 4's into a mostly lvl 20+ game.

In the end, there are pros and cons to LoL. Random teammates aren't going to just sit around and be super nice if you're consistantly screwing up. You shouldn't expect them to. But neither should they be complete ******s because you are not some kind of LoL savant. If you're new and doing badly, listen to your teammates, learn, and you'll do fine. If you're just a bad player, no matter how hard you try...you might want to stick to custom games/playing with a premade team.

A lot of people will say it's not fair to limit you just because you are simply bad at the game, but you have to remember that, in solo que at least, you playing awful will badly affect your 4 teammates. Honestly, I think that most anyone can be at least a decent player if they try/listen to better players, but don't get huffy and start feeding on purpose just because someone gave you a hard time after you fed 4 times in a row. Just shrug it off and ask them what you did wrong.

Now for that final group of bad players, the ones that aren't amatures or trying as hard as they can but simply have egos too big for tips even when they're playing bad and will feed just to be petty *******s...**** you. I will call you a noob. You deserve it.

Anyway, I guess that's my opinion on feeders/noobs/newbs. Everyone has to be a newb at some point, but no one ever has to be a noob.

wingman182

01-25-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooke View Post
time to impose marshall law and make it a boot camp.
Martial law?

wingman182

01-25-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by okrichie View Post
I'll give you this, you do have a sense of humour. Rofl. This made me laugh.

No one ever said we wanted to modify emotion. In fact emotion doesn't really have to come into it at all. It only comes into it when I whine cause I'm a noob and buy Warmogs when playing Ryze and feed our enemy like a hungry hungry hippo in burger king and you yell at me, and it comes into play when you lose your temper because people don't agree with you on the forums and can't handle losing admirably..

So yes in our sad cases there is emotion involved but the aim of this post, if you recall, was that people should show a little self re-cocking-spect towards one another. You do know what respect means, don't you?

This thread is just pointing out a few reasons why people are the way they are and makes a few suggestions as to how to handle those people more prudently. You don't HAVE to like it nor do you HAVE to obey. You're free to do as you please and I dare say I didn't need to tell you that anyway.
I laughed so freaking hard at this. Hungry hungry hippo at burger king. Also, thanks for the original post, it's well written.

I haven't taken the time to read through all 20 pages yet, made it to page 13 or so. Just a point to consider. This Cyst guy? He's what you call a 'troll' I.E. someone who intentionally posts angry and pointless garble simply to get a response or to piss someone off. In most internet forums, its called 'feeding the troll' when you respond, no matter how intelligent or non-aggressive your posts are. Best bet, ignore every post by him. Or, just read for the comedic effect and not respond (In that light, this has been the funniest thread on the forums.)

Yea, I know, I've fed the troll once or twice, but I try not to make a habit of it. I'm still trying to figure out how 100 wins is average to 30. I've won about 150 ( just about the same number of loses) and I'm still 27. Oh well. I'll get there eventually.

manDEERfag

05-06-2011

scrub

LightANSEL

05-06-2011

The really hard part is dealing with the people that just won't listen.

I remember, as Kass, I was laning with Amumu. He did downright stupid things (chased Kat though the jungle and into an inner tower, tried to harass with bandage toss when they were by the tower, and raged at Sona in another lane for not healing him), and who was to blame but little old Kass (who, Amumu said, was our idiot tank that never helped him).

He auto attacked the creeps endlessly, and I asked him to last hit..."noob" was the reply. He pushed to the tower and a warned him against overextending. When he died to gank after gank..."noob" was the reply. I told him a hybrid carry Amumu would never work, and that he should tank..."noob" was the reply.

He was always acting like he was great and everyone else was at fault for all of his shortcomings. We finally won that game (the hybrid Amumu was actually hilariously effective until they realized his build), but his behavior was...atrocious.

I always end up reacting to people like this to some extent...something I must work on.

But if all else fails, one thing to help you though it all.

Remember, after the game is over, you get the last laugh when you click that report button.

If they are that bad, you want them out of the game to improve the community. Acting as badly as them...well, what's going to happen to you if you report it and you react as they acted?

If you want to get back at them, do it after the game.

It's hard, sometimes, but it's better than a total team breakdown that could occur with twice as many people acting badly.

TheOnlyJaces

05-06-2011

I think this game have the worst community (as term of respect and fun) that i have ever seen from all the game i've played so far.

There is NO game where you won't see a , ''fkin op champ'' , ''haha noob'' , and the best one ''you mad ?''

either on your team or the enemie team.

The thing I found funny here , is when i get 5-6 win in a row with a champ (mostly cass/kennen) , then a certain game ill do bad , ending up 2-10 or something... Getting flame/rage at , getting called noob and #uninstall.

Diana Main

05-06-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOnlyJaces View Post
I think this game have the worst community (as term of respect and fun) that i have ever seen from all the game i've played so far.

There is NO game where you won't see a , ''fkin op champ'' , ''haha noob'' , and the best one ''you mad ?''

either on your team or the enemie team.

The thing I found funny here , is when i get 5-6 win in a row with a champ (mostly cass/kennen) , then a certain game ill do bad , ending up 2-10 or something... Getting flame/rage at , getting called noob and #uninstall.
I grew up with both Halo and Runescape. Believe me, this game has a decent community.

Hell, even the main game I grew up with (Starcraft and now the AMAZING STARCRAFT 2) I'v risen through the ranks (well only in origianal starcraft) of the ICCUP (a mediocre F rank to a C rank which is the equivalent of a Diamond / Masters players in starcraft 2, where I am)

The main problem is you have a community of kids who both get easily frustrated, and the inevitable rise of trolling. Mix these 2 together and things exponentially out of hand.

Etherimp

05-06-2011

@The OP: An article I think you may find interesting which explains a lot of the dynamics in the various gaming communities online.

http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazin...om/daily/mr11b

bylobog44

05-07-2011

Personally, I prefer boobs.

Not enough boob threads.

EPV

05-24-2011

Claps, Claps, Claps