An Expert's Guide to 'Noobs'

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Aroyok

01-15-2011

Since it's been necroed....

There is no such thing as a 'constructive criticism'

Nobody on the planet truly enjoys being criticized. Everybody enjoys being praised. Compliment your teammates instead of condemning them, and they will appreciate it and fight better.

Crackertime

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

01-15-2011

This has been a great post to read and while I haven't read everyone's comments I felt compelled to say something and hope no one else has mentioned it.

First the story: I am fairly new to the game and the other night I played a practice 3v3 game. I went up top and another player followed behind, before the 30 second minion spawn warning he started making rude comments about me being in the top lane. He instantly started insulting me and calling me names saying I need to learn how to play. Eventually he stated that he wanted to solo up top but after the verbal thrashing it took to tell me this I was a bit insulted and reluctant to move position. He threw a huge tantrum and began feeding the other team as fast as he could, needless to say we lost our match, I felt bad for the other player on our team who had to take to loss because I stood up to a bully. After the game instead of this player who had thrown the tantrum leaving and ruining someone else game he took a few more min to bash me to everyone else in the game like he did the entire time he was feeding saying it was my fault he did it and I need to learn how to play. I assumed our opponents would realize and infant trapt in a adult or young adults body but they didn't, instead two of the players on the other team started bashing me too for not letting the big baby have his bottle.

Now the comment after a longer then necessary story: I was quite put off by the unwillingness to play with others exemplified by this player and very insulted other would join in on trashing an inexperienced player such as myself who would have gladly allowed solo on the top row if I were asked politely. Honestly I did not play for several days because I had better use of my time then to be verbally assaulted by people who hate everyone that doesnt let them have their way. Eventually I did return to the game because lets face it, its fun and most people are not this ignorant. My point is to people that think they are gods among men at LoL, you are part of a team, you won't always get your way deal with it and don't ruin everyone else's fun time because you can't get everything all the time. Sometimes it's someone else's turn to solo. Secondly to the other players that condoned this terrible conduct of selfishness, please do not encourage people who ruin games because they are mad, people that insult others to make themselves feel like superiors, and most of all do not join in on bashing an inocent victim of such an obvious display of uncooperative gameplay in a team match. Doing this will deter players and ultimately be a downfall of a very well made game. I for one would like to encourage new people and have fun, winning is fun but losing a well fought battle where everyone particiated pleasantly is also fun and what this game is based on.

Please deter these types of individuals from bullying everyone else around so we can all enjoy a great game, thank you.

sarveshseri

01-15-2011

Well I dont hate noobs in my team but I really hate the jerks.
Being new to game is just not bad but being arrogant too is.

Most time when I type to a 50HP ally "Please recall". He will reply "STFU **** ".

And then he will go ahead with 50HP and die.

He will stack armor against a all mage team and will reply "STFU play your own game" when advised to buy MR.

So these are the real noobs who don't even know to behave.

Section

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-15-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonushand View Post
I've been trying to improve in this aspect, and let me tell you, it is not easy.

Here are some tips for the jerks like myself out there who are trying to improve:

Do it in steps:

1.Next game, make yourself only say mean things out loud, DONT TYPE THEM. (especially not in caps)

2. Gradually make yourself eliminate the mean things altogether, and start typing more "good jobs" than "you're a noob".

3.Reflect after each game on how you did. Apologize if your frustration got the better of you. If you haven't already been ignored, it may help both you and the person you called a noob.

I'll keep trying! If you see me in game and I get angry, please forgive me, I've lost control of myself!
Yeah, its just that people are playing a game that gets their brain all like... indulged and not thinking and stuff. To be honest, I rage alot in LoL, and i'm a pretty sensible person irl, its just when you have teammates that really gets your blood boiling because they play with no common sense that you would have. Saying mean things out loud but giving constructive criticism in-game is helping alot, well, sort of, but it's definitely better than just going all out in chatbox and getting into a game of "who can troll each other more" with one of your teammates, great read.

ForeverLaxx

01-15-2011

Necro Post...

Now that the obvious is out of the way, and assuming no one else has mentioned it (because I'm not going to read through 21 pages of responses to a thread made 6-7 MONTHS AGO):

There's a common mistake people make in regards to the use of the word "noob". This mistake is assuming it means "new player". It doesn't. I don't know when this started, but I've been gaming for quite a long time, and the word "newb" is used to describe a new player. Obviously, it's a shortening of the word "newbie", which I'm sure everyone recognizes as refering to a new player. "Noob", on the other hand, refers to a player who refuses to learn and won't take any advice.

As I often say, Newbs can be Noobs, but not all Newbs are Noobs. Treating a newb like a noob will probably turn him into one. It's better to assume that they're just misinformed or don't understand a certain mechanic and to try to help them out. By help them out, I don't mean to berate them -- I mean you should be helpful. If they bite back, then that's your cue to ignore them and try to get through your game with as little headache as possible, because you're no longer dealing with an innocent newb; you're dealing with a noob.

And noobs can't be helped.

Azrayel

01-16-2011

I think this is the best guide I've ever read on this game.

Aroyok

01-16-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarveshseri View Post
Well I dont hate noobs in my team but I really hate the jerks.
Being new to game is just not bad but being arrogant too is.

Most time when I type to a 50HP ally "Please recall". He will reply "STFU **** ".

And then he will go ahead with 50HP and die.

He will stack armor against a all mage team and will reply "STFU play your own game" when advised to buy MR.

So these are the real noobs who don't even know to behave.
In addition to people never enjoying criticism, they also don't want unwanted advice. One thing I learned in drum & bugles corps is that you should fix yourself before you fix other people. Am I doing everything that I'm supposed to be doing so perfectly that nobody can find fault in it? No? Then I'm not going to tell someone else how to fix their problems, cause I've got my own to work on.

"There's a common mistake people make in regards to the use of the word "noob". This mistake is assuming it means "new player". It doesn't. I don't know when this started, but I've been gaming for quite a long time, and the word "newb" is used to describe a new player. Obviously, it's a shortening of the word "newbie", which I'm sure everyone recognizes as refering to a new player. "Noob", on the other hand, refers to a player who refuses to learn and won't take any advice."

"Newbie" was a term that sprang up in IT departments when dinosaurs still roamed the earth. It got shortened to "newb," but at some point newb became noob and it's really not a nice thing to say to people. Personally, I think you could classify it as a 'four letter word'.

HardToFindAName

01-16-2011

This needs to spread out more

Lughsan

01-16-2011

Richard Bravo.

regrettably the people you are trying to reach don't read, read well or understand anything that isn't short hand on a text device.

Teaching social etiquette to young people today is like peeing in your own glass of water. They are so isolated in their own little world they aren't impacted by anything ...except whether they are winning or losing.

Deldrin

01-25-2011

this thread, albeit older, is full of win