Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

An Expert's Guide to 'Noobs'

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

okrichie

06-28-2010

Quote:
Cyst:
Rule #36 stop being a moronic stupid noob

For those that haven't heard, Cyst got banned for flaming a developer. I suppose he wont be contributing any more here, unless he gets a new forum account I guess.

okrichie

06-28-2010

Quote:
Crannicus:
Don't get me wrong: trash talking is fair, but don't go overboard with it.

Insulting "scrubs" in-game will functionally achieve nothing, as has been emphasized here and in many other places. I'm not saying you shouldn't make suggestions for improving their game, just do it constructively. Instead of going, "lolololol u n00b" (or some otherwise poorly typed variant, as many flamers, trolls, and 'pros' are wont to do), make suggestions for how they can improve their build, which skills they should use, or how to best engage enemies with their given character.

If you're so pro, maybe even try to help them in their lane, or ask for a swap with their lanemate (provided this is a viable tactic.) Lastly, encourage them to play defensively until they get a better feel for the game.

The nature of this game is competitive, yes. But it is not to be rudely competitive. All the proof I need for my argument would be found here, from the horse's mouth:

http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=108083

Everyone loses their temper sometimes, and sometimes there will be shouting contests over team chat in a match. We are, after all, only human -- and therefore, we have our flaws. But try to take it easy. Be competitive, sure, but not to the point of unjustified rudeness. In the end, Riot themselves have defined a great player as one who displays "the willingness to take responsibility for ensuring that he and his fellow players have a good time." If you are truly as competitive as you make us all believe, maybe you should try living up to that challenge, instead of worrying about your precious ratios.

Jus' sayin'.

Couldn't agree more. I think a lot of people in this thread are focussing on specific cases and people. For example, the few people that don't listen under any circumstances. I think it's promising that most seem to agree on positive and constructive team work over flaming.

I'd like to hear more from RIOT on the summoners code. It just seems to have been a passing mention. I suppose they're a bit busy working on the game proper..

okrichie

06-28-2010

Quote:
Boldizar:
Good thread. Nothing a reasonable person couldn't figure out for themselves, but sometimes one can forget to keep perspective.

I've certainly criticized my teammates a fair few times. I'll never curse someone out in a premade or a practice game but will try to offer constructive feedback if I think I can contribute.

In matchmaking games, though, if someone is refusing to communicate or being aggressively stupid, I occasionally let the "constructive" part fall by the wayside. Take a few games ago, for example. Just coming off a long losing streak, I go something like 10/1/20 with Nasus. Yet despite two other players on the team having also having strong records, our Ashe and Trynd can't manage to get more than 6 kills or less than a dozen deaths between them, and insist on wandering off alone, so by the end of the (losing) game I've simply declared them morons. Or a few games before that, where as our base is being ransacked I notice our Sion has four Hearts of Gold- he explains kept buying them because he never had enough money for worthwhile items, which I translate as him never getting any kills because he kept buying Hearts of Friggin' Gold, and opine that he is incompetent.

Admirable? No. Justifiable? Perhaps. Relatable? Most likely. It isn't always worth it to politely pick apart the myriad of mistakes a particularly bad team member makes, and venting can help return your morale after a disappointing game. The flip side of this, of course, is that I'm always complimenting team members on first bloods or double kills or other good play- a "gj" here or a "nice one" there. I'll point out my own failures occasionally, and if someone takes it upon themselves I never get offended- either they're wrong and I ignore them, or they're right and I agree. Also, jokes, especially to mock the other guy throwing around various slurs.

I like to think being a more vocal player improves one's odds in the long run, but even if it doesn't it keeps things more fun.

Hey, I'm in complicance about people knowing this from common sense. The only reason I created the thread is because some people didn't seem to understand these ideas so clearly.

Definitely makes the game more fun when you congratulate each other. Definitely relatable that some people will drive you nuts; you can't get on with everyone afterall.

I suppose it's worth mentioning that constructive feedback should be within reason. Equally people shouldn't have lots of time to provide feedback as they should be pushing the Nexus, but they also shouldn't have time for insults. Short and sweet team support is what counts, I say.

okrichie

06-28-2010

Quote:
Kemera:
I've been gaming for ~20 years and it used to be that inside the gaming community "noob" was used to refer to someones skill level or lack there of. Over time it has devolved into some generalized insult that has lost its meaning.

I supose such is the way of the world. That's why using alternate words for clarity is so important.

I find it really hard to believe that the people that play this game so well (which I believe requires some decent intellect at the very least), could have such a limited vocabulary to only insult each other or have the inability to find more appropriate words to express their intentions.

okrichie

06-28-2010

Quote:
TheWihizard:
Richard, you're... you're British...

And you are good at physics.

Does that mean... could you possibly be... Daniel Farraday from Lost?!

Don't even get me started on that finale...

Gothloli Sugar

06-28-2010

Quote:
Everyone loses their temper sometimes, and sometimes there will be shouting contests over team chat in a match. We are, after all, only human -- and therefore, we have our flaws. But try to take it easy. Be competitive, sure, but not to the point of unjustified rudeness. In the end, Riot themselves have defined a great player as one who displays "the willingness to take responsibility for ensuring that he and his fellow players have a good time." If you are truly as competitive as you make us all believe, maybe you should try living up to that challenge, instead of worrying about your precious ratios.

The precious ratios, as you have so aptly put it, are something that most players care about because it's a visible, tangible indicator of skill. It definitely doesn't reflect the player themselves - this is a given, I'm not stupid and I know this. However, to someone who isn't a friend of that player to know their true skill, they only have their ratios to inspect on. If, in the game, the player's ability is reflective of their ratio, it's only natural they will begin to flame and become angry at them. LoL isn't the only game this occurs in, it occurs in almost every competitive game or team-game with a kill to death ratio.

If you thought LoL had it bad, HoN and DotA have it much, MUCH worse, especially the former. Competitive FPSes also have something fierce going on with ratios (hi TF2). It's deplorable behavior on their part, but this is part of the human nature to be like this and try to be superior over their peers, it is only natural that there are MANY people like this. It's very relieving to see that there are people who are attempting to try and change this demographic, but I fear it's not enough.

Earlier, I had a game where I believed my teammates were pretty nice people, but it was only when we started losing where I found out they were just playing to win and they learned nothing - it didn't help that they entered the battle thinking they could win. Ultimately, regardless of whether you make such things noted or not, it's very hard to say for certain that these guys are gonna stop flaming and being haters.

okrichie

06-28-2010

Quote:
Neflak:
In my personal life I am what you could call "brutally honest." In my professional career I am an educator as well so I have all of the necessary qualities to sit down and teach people how to do/play this game but the fact is that in normal MM queue there is not the time or the expectation of learning. If someone is willing to learn then I have no problem passing the knowledge onto them but if they don't know what they are doing then why am I being matched up with them? Thats the part that doesn't make sense. Level 25 summoner getting paired up with or even against people who seem clueless or incapable of a high caliber of skill in this game. I haven't contacted RIOT but I am sure that I am not the only person to notice the flaw in their MM system. Playing against level 30 summoners who are arranged together with random 18-29 summoners just doesn't seem right... I don't get that part at all. Furthermore, it translates to getting utterly **** stomped in game which frustrates me which thus leads to "LOL ZOMG NERD RAGE" as all these kids describe it.

Agreed, in a MM game people shouldn't need to be taught how to breathe. But there's definitely an element of team work and team communication. In lower ELO games players wont know the ins and outs of every champion, so if they're doing badly against Mundo and you know Mundo, some extra feedback can be benficial. Not to mention the need for a strategy if you're not in a prearranged team.

As an edcucator, what do you think of the drill sargeant attitude some people have mentioned in this thread. I.e. that yelling at people like a drill sargeant is an effective means to communicate new methods of play in LoL as they believe it is a tried and tested method to educate the military.

As for the MM system I really have no idea how it's setup. As someone with a little background in coding I would be curious to see how they adapted the ELO equations into the game code. Given your suggestion that higher level players get matched with lower levels, I wonder if there's a throw up..

What I mean is, if you're uber high ELO, it's possible that there's few high ELO players online at any one time that aren't otherwise in a game (probably premade). So what i am wondering is, if it's been a few minutes without being able to find a suitable pairing, the coding is set to default to the next lowest bracket so that you aren't waiting half an hour to find a game.

okrichie

06-28-2010

Quote:
SilentFlare:
I want to say nice guide, but I don't feel that's enough......

That's all you've got? Tell me what would be more? Or was this sarcastic? o.O Contribute!

okrichie

06-28-2010

Quote:
CloudStrifeX2:
I agree with you. However I have to say one thing. If you feel like screwing around in a game, Ie Feeding, Running around in circles, joking around by dieing to the baron at 15 mins, ect ect, PLEASE do that in either a premade of friends, or a practice game. In Match Making a lot of people play that to win. We don't want to deal with that. Keep in mind that messing up a game like that can/will ruin the fun of at least 4 other people. Also if you have never played a champion before do 1 of 2 things.

1. Practice game
2. Ask what to build/do. If you cant do that then you shouldnt be playing a team game. Its just not fun to watch a gangplank build AP items because they think thats how he works. Take some time to learn someone, at least a little bit.

I know where you're coming from. But if these people are of the mentality that they want to ruin someones game, they probably aren't mature enough to reason that doing it in a practice game saves a few upset people. Unfortunately that's what happens when immature people get involved and there's not much we can do about that than report them. I think that's probably the whole reason for the reporting system.

I agree that if someone is going to ruin a game then a MM game isn't the place to do it but someone that silly probably just wont give it the required thought.

Also from what I understand (though am not a parent), if you tell an immature person not to do something, they'll probably do it more. But again; not an expert.

okrichie

06-28-2010

Quote:
Kemera:
Honestly if you're a Marine you'd know that the way Drill instructors act isn't just because they enjoy abusing you but because their method of building Marines has been proven effective for over 200 years. Their abuse isn't just a haphazard accident, it's a time proven method.

You're probably the turd in your unit.

Cpt King
OCS class of 2007 Charlie Company.

If it does work, remember a point I made earlier. It works for more reasons than it just being a successful technique for educating people. For a start, people are being paid to be there, it's their career and their life.

Secondly if you're involved in war, people die so it's very important to do as you're told so you don't take a bullet etc. It's serious business and if you can't take it seriously, you could die.

This is a game, for adults and kids. They're not paid to play, some of them pay to play. It's not their career or their life and they wont die if they mess up. It's a wholly different situation so direct comparison and application of this technique cannot easily be applied.