Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

An Expert's Guide to 'Noobs'

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kemera

06-26-2010

I've been gaming for ~20 years and it used to be that inside the gaming community "noob" was used to refer to someones skill level or lack there of. Over time it has devolved into some generalized insult that has lost its meaning.

UnleashedFury

06-26-2010

Quote:
Jeepers Creepers:
I'm a new player and I agree with Cyst. Being called names for stupid stuff I have done just gives me that fuel to get better. It's a proven tactic that works. I don't think the Drill Sargent in a basic (boot camp) is going to say "Excuse me sir, but the way you are holding and squeezing the trigger on your m16 is incorrect. Can you please rectify the situation by doing it the correct way."

Im a Marine myself and i do not respond to this kind of "corrective criticism" that you are explaining a drill instructor would do. I would much rather someone tell me the steps to be better instead of calling me a noob and ragequit.

okrichie

06-27-2010

Quote:
UnleashedFury:
Im a Marine myself and i do not respond to this kind of "corrective criticism" that you are explaining a drill instructor would do. I would much rather someone tell me the steps to be better instead of calling me a noob and ragequit.

I have to be honest, this reply made me smile. It's quite relieving to hear someone with experience in this area make a comment like this compared to the assumptions other people made before it.

To everyone that replied before this post, I shall respond soon just have been busy this weekend. I've read the replies though and lots of interesting points have been raised to discuss.. In the mean time I hope people will discuss in my absence.

TheWihizard

06-27-2010

Richard, you're... you're British...

And you are good at physics.

Does that mean... could you possibly be... Daniel Farraday from Lost?!

Kemera

06-27-2010

Quote:
UnleashedFury:

Honestly if you're a Marine you'd know that the way Drill instructors act isn't just because they enjoy abusing you but because their method of building Marines has been proven effective for over 200 years. Their abuse isn't just a haphazard accident, it's a time proven method.

You're probably the turd in your unit.

Cpt King
OCS class of 2007 Charlie Company.

Neflak

06-27-2010

Quote:
Kemera:
Honestly if you're a Marine you'd know that the way Drill instructors act isn't just because they enjoy abusing you but because their method of building Marines has been proven effective for over 200 years. Their abuse isn't just a haphazard accident, it's a time proven method.

Cpt King

^^ I like this guy! You got served Mr. Turd.

NinjaStick

06-27-2010

I agree with you. However I have to say one thing. If you feel like screwing around in a game, Ie Feeding, Running around in circles, joking around by dieing to the baron at 15 mins, ect ect, PLEASE do that in either a premade of friends, or a practice game. In Match Making a lot of people play that to win. We don't want to deal with that. Keep in mind that messing up a game like that can/will ruin the fun of at least 4 other people. Also if you have never played a champion before do 1 of 2 things.

1. Practice game
2. Ask what to build/do. If you cant do that then you shouldnt be playing a team game. Its just not fun to watch a gangplank build AP items because they think thats how he works. Take some time to learn someone, at least a little bit.

Neflak

06-27-2010

Quote:
CloudStrifeX2:
I agree with you. However I have to say one thing. If you feel like screwing around in a game, Ie Feeding, Running around in circles, joking around by dieing to the baron at 15 mins, ect ect, PLEASE do that in either a premade of friends, or a practice game. In Match Making a lot of people play that to win. We don't want to deal with that. Keep in mind that messing up a game like that can/will ruin the fun of at least 4 other people. Also if you have never played a champion before do 1 of 2 things.

1. Practice game
2. Ask what to build/do. If you cant do that then you shouldnt be playing a team game. Its just not fun to watch a gangplank build AP items because they think thats how he works. Take some time to learn someone, at least a little bit.

QFT!... People like that just ruin my gaming experience.

SilentFlare

06-27-2010

I want to say nice guide, but I don't feel that's enough......

Efrath

06-28-2010

Quote:
Kemera:

Cpt King

Or maybe no one has simply bothered trying something else. Oh, also, we're individuals, which just means that one single method of teaching/encouragement wont work for everyone.

It certainly doesn't work in games or teaching subjects in general.