[Guide Request] AP Cho'Gath

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kimmy Gibler

09-23-2009

AP Chogath rocks... I've never played him period until last night and I went AP, was 18-0. I definitely used Rylai as well as Rod.

MaxTea

Adjudicator

09-23-2009

AP chogath is pretty strong. But you only really need enuf AP to kill the back creep waves in 1 shot. Rod Of Ages or sheen is good items too build. Not a fan of Rylais yet but that might work also.

Krald

09-23-2009

if your not playing cho'gath with rylai's + rod of ages + lichabane your playing him wrong imo

Mjollnir

09-24-2009

I think Rylai's is liked for the +hp and ap. Honestly though, frozen heart is probably better for survivability and damage.

Could also try Nashor's tooth .

DanHibiki

09-25-2009

dos E for Cho' Gath count as a magical or physical attack?

warmonkey

09-25-2009

vorpal spikes? that's magical damage, it takes 25% of his AP as bonus damage

rylai's isn't too great imo.. it's only a 15% snare, it's 1.5 sec duration, it's really expensive. Better served with an abyssal, or a nashor's, or guinsoo's even (haven't tried that one yet w/ cho, but you could prolly make it work)

rod of ages is good but you've gotta really get it early enough, if it's after 25 minutes you're never gonna get enough value out of it imo

toomad

09-26-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by warmonkey View Post
[...] or guinsoo's even (haven't tried that one yet w/ cho, but you could prolly make it work)
Imo it's nice as while attacking, your attack speed and damage rises because vorpal spikes benefit from the added AP.

yesaC

12-20-2009

My buddy actually wrote up a brief guide on Cho'Gath. If you're interested you can find it @ http://forums.alloflol.com/index.php...&st=0&#entry12

Drake Tseng

12-20-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krald View Post
if your not playing cho'gath with rylai's + rod of ages + lichabane your playing him wrong imo
Veto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AI Assimilator
not sure if you were being sarcastic with your first sentence, but an AP cho should be spamming his spells quite often. More so than some other ap champs who have much much longer cd. However your right that rylai would be quite bad for him, since even if he is spamming its only useful for one spell and its only 15% speed reduction (aoe).
Agree. Impale already slows, Rylai used to be good cause it would slow on the initial placement, not on the impale. Rylai will only offer a slow on Scream (meh) and Feast (okay, but hardly worth it)

re: when to use feast...

Spam it when ever it is on CD to get 6 stacks. Who ever said that not having stacks is okay is the epitome of wrong. Even in an AP build, you need HP. Cho'Gath has some of the lowest natural HP in the game. Once you have 6 stacks, however, open up with that shyt. People will poop a brick when they see their HP go from full to half instantly. You have plenty of ways to kill people without relying on Feast for the last hit.

In other news, I have played Cho'Gath more than almost any other hero and I always do pretty well with him. I find that even if you're trying to do a spell-oriented build, having 40% CD reduction is more important than AP. An AP build should still start with any 2 items that land you with max CD reduce (talents and runes can help expedite this). The fact both his main spells are CC of sorts and have pretty low CDs already, the max CD reduction will mean more dps and more CC overall. Once you're maxed on CD reduce, the game will probably end because any team fight you are in will really suck for the other team. I still think that any build should still start with a Warmogs, but I suppose a Rod of Ages can work. Nashor's tooth is something to consider since it gives CD reduce and AP as well as attack speed. Don't neglect spikes, they are a really really good source of DPS in any build, and attack speed/AP items suit this perfectly.

Hope this helps.

Zingmaster

12-20-2009

deathfire grasp + rods + abyssal + mage boots would be a really nice item set

lich bane after that when you can get it.

Rylai's is nice because of the HP and AP, but isn't worth it after the most recent change to it.