AP Master Yi?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Chronon10

06-10-2010

I've played with yi ever since I bought him, i use a dps build, and its pretty good.(18 kills, 1 death in one game) but i heard that ap yi was a lot better. could someone please give me an ap yi and tell me why he's better than dps yi?

Fallen 62

06-10-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronon10 View Post
I've played with yi ever since I bought him, i use a dps build, and its pretty good.(18 kills, 1 death in one game) but i heard that ap yi was a lot better. could someone please give me an ap yi and tell me why he's better than dps yi?
AP Yi heals himself for a lot more and he does more damage with his Alpha strike. IIRC, a council member build him AP to "show" that AP Yi is OK, but most people play AD/DPS Yi, not AP.

I'm honestly not sure of a build for him, but I would think a Mejai's, Nashor's, and Lich Bane are needed. Probably a Rylai's, and then Guinsoo's and the new Gunblade would be decent. This is completely pulling something out of thin air, and doesn't include boots at all. I would probably get boots and then everything but the Guinsoo's. Again, that's completely out of thin air with nothing to back it up.

wR Veritas

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-10-2010

AP Yi allows for a huge multi-targetted nuke and a strong heal (one that can tank a lot of damage during the channel). Even still, this does not necessarily make it a better or more preferred Yi. I think Yi is still meant to be played DPS due to the rest of his abilities. Yi is great at backdooring and chasing while AP Yi focuses on the strong nuke and heal. In other words, the video on AP Yi was just to prove that it's possible, something different, and viable.

Herald of Darkness

06-10-2010

^pretty much what he said AP Yi isn't the most common way to play Yi but is still pretty viable. If u want an item build here is wat i go for: rush sheen, then boots that fit the game(i.e. enemy has lot of CC get merc treads, enemy has lot of dps get ninja tabi, and if it doesnt fit in to those get sorc shoes), then turn your sheen into a lich bane, go for zhonyas,( the game is most prolly over by this point), Rylais, Void staff, any item of ur choosing

TheJamesMan

06-10-2010

AP Yi is a machine early on...but seems to become lack luster as the game goes on. Complete opposite with traditional Yi.

Kureno

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-10-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJamesMan View Post
AP Yi is a machine early on...but seems to become lack luster as the game goes on. Complete opposite with traditional Yi.
This. In the laning phase, AP Yi seems to ruin other champions. Not so great in a teamfight though, and the cooldown on Alpha strike makes it less viable later

Zirun

06-10-2010

AP Yi works extremely well if you have a good team you can count on. If you can rely on your teammates, you can use Highlander + Alpha Strike to get kills, resetting your cooldowns. Then you Alpha Strike again and again, attacking, using your other abilities (especially Meditate and Ignite if you have it) whenever needed. In an idea situation, it's entirely possible for an AP Yi to carry his team just as well as a DPS Yi would, if not better.

AP Yi starts off fairly slow (though faster than a DPS Yi), and you need to farm quite a bit and help your allies get kills/assists in order to get started. Once you have a few key items, though, your Alpha Strike will be one-shotting creep waves and taking off massive chunks of HP from opponents' squishy champions.

A general build would be:

Doran's Ring
Boots
Mejai's Soulstealer [if you can get stacks]
Zhonya's Ring
Lich Bane
Void Staff
Rylai's Crystal Scepter

The last few are interchangeable based on what you need.

Cantor

06-11-2010

I've tried AP yi a few times because it seemed hilarious. I don't know why everyone suggests a Lich Bane though, he doesn't have spammable enough skills to get enough procs imo. I think I'll try a hybrid build soon, good old guinsoos.

Excession

06-11-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantor View Post
I've tried AP yi a few times because it seemed hilarious. I don't know why everyone suggests a Lich Bane though, he doesn't have spammable enough skills to get enough procs imo. I think I'll try a hybrid build soon, good old guinsoos.
Lich Bane allows for a quick 1-2 Alpha, Lich proc combo.

Lil Will

06-11-2010

AD Yi and AP Yi are both somewhat viable, at different times, and require much different playstyles.