Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Smurfs

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Xentropy

06-10-2010

Is anything going to be done about smurfs? I keep getting matched against teams of people who are CLEARLY not as new as their level 10 or less would indicate. It's just frustrating to have zero chance of winning because any one of them can kill 3-5 people on my team solo due to vastly superior tactical skills. No amount of strategy can defeat tactics that good. If you always lose at any point on the map where you attack (OR defend), what strategy is left?

Unless the matchmaking system actually gives you a 50/50 chance of winning, a lot of people are just going to leave after a few games. I'm almost at that point now. A challenge is one thing, a foregone conclusion from 5 minutes in is another. So far every game I've played has either been a too-easy win or a loss from the point of spawning in. No in-betweens.

SomniumProxy

06-10-2010

There are anti-smurf mechanics. Currently the algorhytms are good enough, and they can detect a smurf in around 15 games played. This means that around level 8-10 smurfs are fully matched against level 30s. However, the game needs data to identify a smurf, so you can still see those at very low levels. Don't worry, once you hit level 10-12 those will become significantly rare and at around level 15 99% of the smurfs are filtered by the anti-smurf algorhytm.

R66Y

06-10-2010

There are also several people on the new player forum who have volunteered to help newer players. If you find that you've been having a rough time, try looking one of them up. They can likely offer tips and guidance, and sometimes just having the confidence boost from knowing you've got a more experienced lane partner/team mate can let you focus on your game more.

Just realize if you play with them on their main, in many cases you will be seeing much better opposition as they are going to likely pull you up into higher Elo games. Nothing wrong with that (it's a great way to learn), but it may be better to see if they can smurf with you if you are already frustrated. Once you feel confident enough you can dip your toe into the deep end with their main.

SethCypher

06-10-2010

Quote:
Xiuhtec:
Is anything going to be done about smurfs? I keep getting matched against teams of people who are CLEARLY not as new as their level 10 or less would indicate. It's just frustrating to have zero chance of winning because any one of them can kill 3-5 people on my team solo due to vastly superior tactical skills. No amount of strategy can defeat tactics that good. If you always lose at any point on the map where you attack (OR defend), what strategy is left?

Unless the matchmaking system actually gives you a 50/50 chance of winning, a lot of people are just going to leave after a few games. I'm almost at that point now. A challenge is one thing, a foregone conclusion from 5 minutes in is another. So far every game I've played has either been a too-easy win or a loss from the point of spawning in. No in-betweens.

There are always some newbies who catch on to the game rather quickly as they have had expereince with DotA or any RTS game for that matter. They have to play a few matches before the system can assess their skills though so I don't think you can really solve this problem. It's just something that happens.

Muramas

06-10-2010

I suggested a while back that they made it so when you create a character you can select a "smurf" box which sets you at a higher ELO than people in noob isle but I have yet to hear anything...I might try asking again soon.

Rezon

06-10-2010

Quote:
Muramas:
I suggested a while back that they made it so when you create a character you can select a "smurf" box which sets you at a higher ELO than people in noob isle but I have yet to hear anything...I might try asking again soon.

So whats the point of a smurf.

R66Y

06-10-2010

Quote:
Rezon:
So whats the point of a smurf.

Different people smurf for different reasons.

Some people smurf to try out new champions or new builds. They either don't want to cause losses on their main account or they don't want to annoy people by playing lulzy builds or champions they don't know on their main (which is likely to see better opposition, resulting in them potentially losing games for people).

Some people use smurfs to play with new players (usually friends) who are lower level. This is usually to avoid pulling the low level player into a high level match, where they may just feed the enemy team (to everyone's annoyance).

Finally, some people just want to win. They'd rather stomp newbs and feel big about themselves and prove how pro they are than play a game against people who know what they are doing and potentially lose.

The first two are valid reason to smurf, and as long as they aren't abused they can be beneficial to the community. The third one, unfortunately, is probably the most common form of smurf and results in a lot of unhappy new players and damage to the community.

Full Disclosure: I do have a smurf I have used to introduce people to the game. I tend to just throw together a practice game for trying out new things and don't care enough about my W/L record to generally worry about hurting my main or need to go stomp new guys.

Benetnash

06-10-2010

Quote:
R66Y:
Different people smurf for different reasons.

Some people smurf to try out new champions or new builds. They either don't want to cause losses on their main account or they don't want to annoy people by playing lulzy builds or champions they don't know on their main (which is likely to see better opposition, resulting in them potentially losing games for people).

Some people use smurfs to play with new players (usually friends) who are lower level. This is usually to avoid pulling the low level player into a high level match, where they may just feed the enemy team (to everyone's annoyance).

Finally, some people just want to win. They'd rather stomp newbs and feel big about themselves and prove how pro they are than play a game against people who know what they are doing and potentially lose.

The first two are valid reason to smurf, and as long as they aren't abused they can be beneficial to the community. The third one, unfortunately, is probably the most common form of smurf and results in a lot of unhappy new players and damage to the community.

Full Disclosure: I do have a smurf I have used to introduce people to the game. I tend to just throw together a practice game for trying out new things and don't care enough about my W/L record to generally worry about hurting my main or need to go stomp new guys.

This. +1 good sir. Also, got a smurf for reason 1 :P stack IP from solo queue on normal matches (and actually, when I play without caring about K/D or W/L, I play way better) and use that points to buy new champs (did that with Olaf) so I can try them and see if they are good for my main account. In this way, I don't waste my IP on new champs and I can try them out as soon as they are available.

Paralakz

Adjudicator

06-10-2010

Quote:
Xiuhtec:
No amount of strategy can defeat tactics that good.

Uh... except for better tactics...

Smurfs are less prevalent (from what I can tell) than you make it seem... you'll be fine man.