Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

So how exactly is Purple at a disadvantage?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Gotakeshi

10-10-2011

I personally love to play poppy on blue and go bot. Sitting in the second bush is perfect to come flying out and slam them into the wall between river and their turret before they have any idea what's going on. It is likely just in my mind, but it seems maybe closer and just simply better for this one purpose. Not game-changing, but I like it.

StraightUpMid

10-10-2011

i prefer to play blue because i find its easier, because of the camera angle in purple but thats just my opinion and i seem to play purple a lot nowadays so im getting used to it

YourDeadlike2pac

10-10-2011

Umm get a i7 and it don't matter. Just because you play a free game does'nt mean your pc suck.

Beaumains

10-11-2011

Apparently the issue is two-fold:

1 - (major) the avatar is centered w.r.t. the whole screen rather than just the visible portion (i.e. the HUD cuts off the bottom portion of your screen); this means that camera-locked players are gimped in their vision towards the bottom compared to their topside vision. This should be more easily fixed by re-centering the champ in the visible portion.

2 - (minor) the HUD is uneven along the bottom, which eliminates a miniscule portion of your potential view along the bottom. However, the same can be said about the score info in the upper right part of the screen. A more exaggerated issue is that the minimap is apparently unadjustable, while the rest of the HUD apparently is, which means you actually have a significant blindspot behind the minimap, if you resize the HUD.

It appears as if some would add a third issue - that the specific angle of the camera makes it appear as though one side has a greater view. Assuming that the centering issue has been accounted for, this effect will be purely illusion - or, if not complete illusion, the difference is miniscule and not 1-sided.

For example, because of the camera angle, Blue has the disadvantage that more objects interfere with their aggressive positioning options than appear to do so for Purple - i.e. Purple is more defensible because they stand behind their towers to hide from you, while you stand in front of your towers to hide from them - but not from minions.

The same issue applies to minion & champion overlap as well. So actually, Purple has a mechanical advantage in that Blue objects are generally less obstructed. They also have a mechanical advantage in at least one map point, which automatically draws tower aggro from the 2nd mid tower, whereas the mirror Blue position does not.

Ze Robster

10-12-2011

While chasing/running away i like locking the camera because then i don't have to keep moving the camera to see where I'm going and make sure that I'm safe.

It may just be me, but for this reason purple screws me up bad, when I'm running or chasing the HUD obstructs my vision, forcing me to keep the screen unlocked which keeps me from adjusting to situation faster.

A sense of direction i can get used to, but it's these moments that ruin the game for me while I'm purple. If they allowed for everyone to switch camera angles, everyone can play comfortably.

Thirsty

10-12-2011

Quote:
Repseki:
People play this game with a locked camera?

This

Veissdrachen

10-12-2011

For all the people that think there's no difference? There was a red post a while back (By either Morello or Guinsoo, I don't remember) That stated that according to Riot's data, there is a SIGNIFICANT, QUANTIFIABLE statistical advantage to playing as Blue over Purple. The client adjusts for this by generally assigning the team judged more likely to win (By whatever margin) to the Purple side.

If you win on purple, you will assuredly get less IP than a win on blue, because generally your team was expected to win. (You have the better team). They gave you Purple as a handicap to even out the game.

If you win on blue, you get more IP, because your team was expected to lose. They gave you Blue as a handicap to help you try to win.

However, this is why often people find they win more games from Purple than from Blue. (Note this has nothing to do with champ picks, just elo, so just cause you have a super ****ty team comp on Purple doesn't mean you're gonna win. You can still get stomped.)

Owwie

10-12-2011

Quote:
Repseki:
People play this game with a locked camera?

2 Questions....

1: You can lock your camera?

2: Why would I want to limit my view?

snowrest

10-12-2011

cus they arent blue

Lostmyth

10-13-2011

the locked camera shouldn't really affect your gameplay... i'm surprised that there are so many people who play with locked camera