"Does this champion get steamrolled by bruisers?"

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Weirding

10-05-2011

If the answer to the question above is "yes", then you are making life unnecessarily hard for yourself in Dominion. You will probably die a lot, and you probably won't enjoy the game much.

Unless, of course, the other team doesn't stack bruisers like Jax, Irelia, Akali, etc.

There are a few reasons for this:

1. No escape. There is really no place to run to in Dominion, except for your own base. Compounding this problem is the fact that the map is very small and narrow.

2. Towers are weak. They don't deal much damage. They can be dodged. They can be shut off. Bruisers can tank them easily.

3. Rapid gold gain. Bruisers with items are scary. They typically have decent built-in survivability and damage, and when you add to that they tend to scale better than pure DPS or Support/DPS classes.

4. Minion waves are small and weak. You cannot expect minions to protect you from bruisers here unless they REALLY stack up. The waves are small so you can't hide behind them. They also don't do much damage, so they aren't going to help you kill anyone who is even a little tanky.

5. The Crystal Scar "buff" makes Bruisers better. The passive armor penetration makes their damage stronger. The faster mana regeneration solves the mana starvation problems that low-level Bruisers typically have to contend with.

6. Gap closers are stronger than gap openers. This is actually a theme of LoL -- almost every single gap closer has a significantly longer range than ranged champions have in attack range. Gap closers also tend to have much shorter cooldowns than gap openers or self-defense mechanisms.

This is why Irelia kicks your Ashe.

I'm not here to tell you to only play Bruisers, or to avoid champions that fare poorly against them. However, when you have a rough game because you decided to play Lux and got run over by Akali the second your Light Binding was on cooldown from using it on Jax, don't blame anyone but yourself for the situation.

There is precious little that most champions can do to protect a squishy AD or AP carry in Dominion. Even if they slow or snare the enemy for a few seconds, you don't have a very good place to run to except FAR AWAY -- retreating to a tower will probably just get you killed in a dive. Your running away may not matter at all if that Lee Sin landed his skillshot on you from the snare; if you run you will just die tired.

The solution is to play champions that handle Bruisers well. If you like nukers you should consider Ryze, who is tanky enough to survive an onslaught for a few seconds and can vamp back damage with his ultimate. If you like ranged champions you should consider Caitlyn, who has a lot of range and can protect herself with traps and nets; or possibly Twitch, who can appear in the fight at the right time.

Stralucire

10-05-2011

Corollary question: Will I make bruisers nerdrage if I stomp them with this champion?

If the answer is "yes", I may want to play them.

FDru

10-05-2011

+1 for spelling "fare" properly.

Aiden1

10-05-2011

teams do better with at least one ranged ad carry.

Weirding

10-05-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stralucire View Post
Corollary question: Will I make bruisers nerdrage if I stomp them with this champion?

If the answer is "yes", I may want to play them.
It has been my experience that most people playing bruisers in Dominion will nerdrage at the drop of a hat anyway.

I had a Jax player raging at me because I was "hacking" and he never got a Counter Strike proc against my Twitch. Anyone want to guess why? Here's a hint: I hate having to do it.

There is nothing wrong with playing a "Dominion underprivileged" champion, but at the same time you have to realize that you are going to have an uphill battle against most teams. This is especially true at the moment with Riven being a free champion -- she's incredibly powerful against short-ranged AD and AP champions. My last game was against Riven, Jax, Akali, Xin Zhao, and Rammus (we still won).

Weirding

10-05-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiden1 View Post
teams do better with at least one ranged ad carry.
I agree. I even suggested a few that do well on Dominion.

My weapon of choice on this map when I really just need a win (for First of the Day, for example) is Twitch.

Hotdogs

10-05-2011

bruiser type champs arent as popular now as in the beta

JayceJa

10-05-2011

people playing bruisers often have lower IQs, the differential there makes up for the difference in champion balance and actually evens out the game

Voidgolem

10-05-2011

"wtf kog does so much damage"

*Spark+Divine+Lightbringer+Kitae's+Wit's End*

Trololo +200 damage every other second.

Selly

10-05-2011

I still like making making bruisers cry just by playing a strong defender solo down bottom as they keep trying to take it (Karthus / Heimer)