The Science of a Comeback:

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Harate

10-03-2011

Good read, thanks!

ALL DAY

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

10-03-2011

Thanks a lot for writing this up. It provides the bigger picture insight that people need to learn in these early days of Dominion. Myself included!

schmide

10-03-2011

I'm tired and I'll read it tomorrow. But that much text gets a +1

cAZNc54

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-04-2011

very insightful. it covers pretty much all the reasons for a comeback. at least all the reason i can think of and more. riot should give a look here and also give you some kudos =P

MarkovX

10-04-2011

Is it just me, or whichever side has less points gains a rez timer advantage?

Which thus helps fuel the ability to comeback.

nguyenmb

10-04-2011

After testing this in a custom game, the team with less points resurrects faster than the team with more points.

Also, the team with less points captured spawn minions at a faster rate than the team with more captured points

So if you are winning say 450-100, it becomes increasingly difficult to maintain the lead because the opponents will spawn faster and have a minion advantage.

Eventually the 'losing' team will be able to 3 cap, because the handicap on the 'winning' team is too much to keep up.

However, now that the losing team has 3 capture points, they STILL will rez faster. So it'll remain easy for them to continually defend 3 points.

This will occur until at 100 - 100, but by that time, there's far less time for the switched handicap to make as profound a difference, attrition wise, for the previously winning team to still win.

The game is built and designed to have comebacks, there's not too much psychological or anything to it.

Combusty

10-04-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stralucire View Post
...it plays more like chess; that is, if chess had regenerating pieces with severe personality flaws.
+1 for that line alone.

A startlingly good guide, as its key points are visible in nearly every one of the many matches of dominion I've played since the beta.

And as a last note: I'd prefer your lack of brevity over the average internet reader's desire for brevity any day. tldr is a disease.

Jadarok

10-04-2011

Everyone should be required to read this guide before they make an "OP" thread. Great guide!

Stralucire

10-04-2011

@nguyenmb: Faster minion wave spawns for the team with less caps? Interesting theory. I'd like to see some more testing done on it.

Question: did you test this on the minions headed from middle to the windmill, or between multiple points? From my time playing static D at windmill (gives me lots of time to sit and observe) I've noticed that minions seem to push themselves without player help on the way to the top, and I've had a theory for a while that windmill actually spawns minions slightly slower than other towers. I haven't had the chance to test this theory elsewhere. It could be true, or I suppose the team with less caps could spawn waves faster.

Besides, this idea is a bit of a double edged blade,isn't it? More minions can, if the moment is right, help the losing team cap a base. But if the winning team has a pusher champ in lane, like is normal for bottom, then the faster spawns feed that champ more gold. Not much, but it could build up. Depends on the spawn rate increase, I suppose. In any case, I'm not actually inclined to believe either until someone tests it thoroughly.

Quote:
The game is built and designed to have comebacks, there's not too much psychological or anything to it.
The system is designed to allow comebacks, but I don't believe for a second anyone at Riot felt the game needed comebacks to happen. A big comeback makes for the sort of exhilarating or tragic moment that can eclipse those past ten games where a team took and held a lead to victory. They're common, but they aren't a per-game phenomenon.

202halffound

01-18-2012

You haven't mentioned the funky Dominion respawn timer.

Basically, if a few people die at the same time, they will all respawn at the same time instead of staggered.

For example, if Lux dies, and then a few seconds later Rammus dies then Rammus will spawn at the same time as Lux instead of a few seconds after.

I haven't figured out the specifics, but that's what happens.