How to build the Skarner

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

BunnyMind

01-19-2012

I'm curious what items others use on him.
I generally go with Prospector's Blade, Mercury Treads, Hextech Gunblade, and Guinsoo's Rageblade, throwing in defensive items like Frozen Heart, Thornmail, or Wit's End depending on who I'm having the most trouble with.
Is there anything I should be doing differently?

K J

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-20-2012

Trifoce
Stark's Ferver
Tank

AbsolutePK

01-20-2012

Too situational. Think the only static item I have is Sheen/Triforce.

Redenbacher

01-20-2012

My personal favorite has been Triforce, Merc Treads, Wit's End, Frozen Heart. Not necessarily in that order.

Degnared

01-20-2012

Riot pulled off a neat trick with Skarner, in that he seems to scale very evenly with various stats. I've had success going full glass and full tanky, it just depends on what your team needs. Usually you want a healthy mix of the two, and the main question is whether you want to get damage items first or tank items first. Ask yourself whether your team would benefit more from another DPS or another bruiser (this flexibility makes him a great early pick!)

Triforce is obviously an amazing item on him, but if you're looking for raw damage, I have to give the crown to Rageblade in terms of bang for your buck. Since you can spam your Q as you run towards a point (and not run out of mana, even with the recent Q cost increase, thanks to the Dominion mana regen), you can bring yourself up to eight stacks before any engagement, completely eliminating Rageblade's usual disadvantage, and instead making it a ridiculously cheap bundle of stats. Gunblade is also good, but I find it's a little too expensive for an item with no attack speed (Skarner's favorite stat, in my opinion). Nashor's Tooth SEEMS like a good item, but, in practice, it doesn't appear to boost your damage enough to justify the cost.

For tank items, Frozen Heart and Odyn's Veil are both great, depending on whether you need MR or armor. Wit's End is also excellent. Thornmail is the obvious option against heavy AD, but I'd recommend staying away from Force of Nature against heavy AP, since you pay too much for the health regen, which has much less utility in Dominion. Veil + Wit's end + scaling MR runes should be enough for even a very heavy AP team. Health is a little harder to itemize for on Skarner (still waiting on that Warmog's alternative, Riot!), but Frozen mallet is okay if you need to be really beefy. Otherwise, I make do with the health from prospector's blade + triforce.

In short, my 5 most commonly bought items on Skarner are Triforce, Rageblade, Wit's End, Odyn's Veil, and Frozen Heart, but NOT in that order, and not necessarily in the same game.

lbgsloan

01-20-2012

He's basically like old Jax, where you can build nearly anything on him and have it work. Sheen and Wit's End are the only items I'd call core on him; you don't need the full trinity though it's certainly not a bad plan. I've had him work as tanky DPS AD and also AS/on-hit damage tank.

With the nerf to his mana costs, glacial shroud/Frozen Heart is a pretty good idea on him now. Not that it wasn't before.