Alistar the Tanky Tank, or How to Tank with Alistar, or the Newbs Guide to Alistar

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

FckMan

Recruiter

09-21-2010

check the new items for the upcoming patch. offers health and cooldowns. i read them and thought of alistar.

Oerwoud

09-21-2010

2 things i think are not so good on this build.

No focus on cdr: Unless you have lots of runes and masteries, 15% from randuins alone isnt allot. Alistars only point is his skills, which cooldowns last longer then the battle (you stun once, bump once and your done). 40% CDR is really good.

Why attack Alistar: You mention 2 things to do when ignored.
Bashing a tower is fun for alister with his ult up, but your team cant risk that. So you end up alone at tower. Surviving both tower and the pot shots from enemy carries is only possible till late game/item set is complete. Half a year ago when he was OP this was possible (ult lasted 15 sec for example), but not anymore.
The other point, though better, doesnt work the way you mention either. Alister in front, walks towards enemy team. They either keep distance =>tower situation. Or they walk by you. Lets say they have amumu as tank (he's very good, to make difference obvious). If you dont bump him, your team gets locked down. Who do you bump then, their melee dps, their main carry? The mage? There is more in a team then just one dude. Lets say you do all perfect and bump their carry into your team. You're ignoring the fact that their other 4 players are already wacking at your team. You do your trick, busted all your skills with 1 result. Your team is now a blob of 5 instead of 4 people. So after the trick, you have a 5vs4 situation with a cow running around with big armour/undying....

Im not saying he's useless and better a tank than no tank, but others do better. Alister is built around skills, good teams wont focus him (or any tank), so a little less tankyness for more threat/utility is my suggestion. I think Frozen Armour or at least Glacial Shroud are spot on for Alister. Come to think of it, I build him very similar (whith more cdr is added), but I disagree on the way you say it works. You just get ignored.

Tried new built (in a pubstomp, so not that great of a reference). Wanted to go manamune, so I went Manamune, Boots of Swiftness (merc wasnt needed), glacial shroud, banshee, sheen. All give mana to add to manamune ability and cdr reduction en defenses. Worked out well. Need to try it in a serious game.

Lorifel

09-21-2010

Aegis is a very good item, but I would rather have it on off-tank in my team. Nasus or Xin Zhao can build Aegis + some offencive gear and be all around good. However I would like to see heavier tanking items on the team's main tank. =)

Wisewind

09-21-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by FckMan View Post
check the new items for the upcoming patch. offers health and cooldowns. i read them and thought of alistar.
yeah I was excited to see the new items, gives alistar more flexibility with his builds especially with innervating locket change (cheaper and gives CD now)

Captain Dildac

09-29-2010

Glad someone took the time to create an Alister guide that is spot on and helpful, i love Alister to death and was sort of torn between those weird builds and a pure tank(pure tank is def the way to go). Also I added you in the hopes that you would play the Defender role as Alister in my Entrenchment strategy. Hope to see you in game .

SciencePrime

10-04-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanthyr View Post
I've always used Flash/Ghost with Alistar, both are great for initiating. With my group specifically we have a Jungle Udyr, and I take the solo lane. Usually by level 4, he has both buffs and I obviously have pulverize and headbutt which lands us an easy kill. One time I actually got a double kill solo vs a Soraka/Karthus lane at level 3, which is one of my favorite LoL moments in all of my life.

I noticed in your guide you don't mention using headbutt in a chasing application. Numerous times my team would have just won a teamfight (Aww yeah, Alistardom) and their carry is running away with 1/4 hp and their support is hanging behind them trying to block skillshots.

Ghost, headbutt the support, flash onto carry, Pulverize. Bam, your team can score an ace and take out 40 more towers.

Same application, two people chasing a teammate, one is low HP, get a free flash in with headbutt o n the higher health champion and pulverize the hurt enemy.

All very obvious, but it wasn't described in the thread.
Thank you for pointing this out. It has been added!

SciencePrime

01-13-2011

UPDATE:

Epic Alistar changes are in the works. Check out what Guinsoo had to say about the brainstormed changes.

http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...d.php?t=437005